E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.89 average.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #3761
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
I agree. Considering that you get an in-house movement and classic looks, it seems like Rolex is the way to go. Yeah, Omega is slowly doing in-house movement also, but their prices are almost comparable to Rolex now.
It also depends on where you are in your career/life path. Having a Rolex too young is, in my opinion, not a wise move. I'm not saying an expensive watch is bad - just that having the number one known expensive watch can sometimes be viewed as conspicuous wealth. And for those of us who are <30, it's perhaps not the right message to send.

My boss, who is 37, can easily rock a Rolex. His title is also Executive Vice President, while I'm ten years younger than him and gunning to get the word "senior" added to my title. So I don't think a Rolex would be appropriate for me.

Of course, there will be those who say "F what others think!" And I disagree with those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing

Last edited by dwass325; 11-05-2012 at 09:00 PM.
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #3762
oofie

My Ride: 07 Fit
Send a message via AIM to oofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
It also depends on where you are in your career/life path. Having a Rolex too young is, in my opinion, not a wise move. I'm not saying an expensive watch is bad - just that having the number one known expensive watch can sometimes be viewed as conspicuous wealth. And for those of us who are <30, it's perhaps not the right message to send.

My boss, who is 37, can easily rock a Rolex. His title is also Executive Vice President, while I'm ten years younger than him and gunning to get the word "senior" added to my title. So I don't think a Rolex would be appropriate for me.

Of course, there will be those who say "F what others think!" And I disagree with those people.
Good thing I'm turning 30 this month But in all seriousness, I wear my watches because I like them and not because of what people think of them. However, I can also understand that it conveys a certain message to people and that sometimes it can be construed in a negative fashion. But then, I've only been wearing a Rolex for the last 4 days.

Last edited by oofie; 11-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #3763
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Good thing I'm turning 30 this month But in all seriousness, I wear my watches because I like them and not because of what people think of them. However, I can also understand that it conveys a certain message to people and that sometimes it can be construed in a negative fashion. But then, I've only been wearing a Rolex for the last 4 days.
I'm not saying you should worry about everything you do, but Rolex is the most conspicuous (professional) watch you can wear. You could wear a damn Patek and be more under the radar. I just think being a junior employee with a Rolex reflects poorly.

No joke...we had some execs come through at my last company. It was when they were coming around to explain that times were tough, raises would be scarce, bonuses would be scarcer. A few people made remarks about one guy wearing a Rolex (sub) being distasteful...one of the other guys was wearing a Patek Nautilus! They had no clue his watch was 5-10x more expensive than the Rolex. It could have been a Timex for all they knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #3764
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:

I agree with you
I don't feel like I am ready to wear a rolex right now
Especially since the rolex I would want is the millegauss or the daytona!
I would feel much more comfortable with a IWC Portuguese chrono

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #3765
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
Quote:
I agree. Considering that you get an in-house movement and classic looks, it seems like Rolex is the way to go. Yeah, Omega is slowly doing in-house movement also, but their prices are almost comparable to Rolex now.
I never viewed Omega as in the same class as Rolex. Still a HUGH price gap if your comparing sport models. You can easily get an Omega discounted off MSRP at nearly any AD. 8.5K for a submariner vs. 4.5K for a PO.

Enjoy the Rolex...only get worst from here. Im looking to get an AP Jumbo like ///A. Still saving up for one

Edit*** Not BSaint but ///A...keep getting the watch and cigar thread fanatics mixed up ahah

Last edited by BruceWonder; 11-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
BruceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #3766
oofie

Quote:
I'm not saying you should worry about everything you do, but Rolex is the most conspicuous (professional) watch you can wear. You could wear a damn Patek and be more under the radar. I just think being a junior employee with a Rolex reflects poorly.

No joke...we had some execs come through at my last company. It was when they were coming around to explain that times were tough, raises would be scarce, bonuses would be scarcer. A few people made remarks about one guy wearing a Rolex (sub) being distasteful...one of the other guys was wearing a Patek Nautilus! They had no clue his watch was 5-10x more expensive than the Rolex. It could have been a Timex for all they knew.
lol, I wish I could afford a Patek, or even something from Lange. One more reason why I'm going Rolex this time is that they hold their value very well. I usually get bored of my watches after a few years, and I haven't really lost money in almost going through 15-20 watches, but at this price range (around $6k), there isnt a better brand that holds their value, IMHO.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #3767
oofie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWonder View Post
I never viewed Omega as in the same class as Rolex. Still a HUGH price gap if your comparing sport models. You can easily get an Omega discounted off MSRP at nearly any AD. 8.5K for a submariner vs. 4.5K for a PO.

Enjoy the Rolex...only get worst from here. Im looking to get an AP Jumbo like BSaint. Still saving up for one
lol! I was able to try on a 15400 last week and it was just something on a whole new level A real classic Genta design. Although I think it's a little big for me still, at 41mm. The AP Jumbo (15202) or the 15300 at 39mm would be better, and classic. Wish I had an extra $16k laying around

EDIT: Are the new PO's still at 4.5k after discount? I thought the ceramic bezel-ed PO's were at $6k+.

Last edited by oofie; 11-05-2012 at 09:32 PM.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #3768
wontonjon

My Ride: grocerymobile
Quote:

So how embarrassed should I be rocking an "Orient" ....being of Asian descent with a handle of 'wontonjon' .....

On another note, was admiring a client's Rolex the other day - he suggested I take a look at the Tudor Pelagos....what do y'all think about that one...I kinda like it!
wontonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #3769
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWonder View Post
realized thats its better quality, you do get what you pay for imo
You're paying a lot for the Rolex brand, not the actual product. Rolex tends to have the largest advertising budget of any watch brand, usually equaling what the following 2-4 watch brands do combined. They maintain their branding very well as the go-to premium watch for those that don't know of the other even higher-end exclusive brands.
Would I like one, sure but when a Stainless Steel Daytona goes for 13k or so on the used market because Rolex limits their production...it sucks. When I get a nice watch, it's because I have the money at the time. Getting myself on a wait-list isn't ideal for me.

Omega was better priced but in the last 5-8 years or so they wanted to move themselves into a higher bracket which I can understand from a business point but as a consumer it sucks.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 11-06-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #3770
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

My watch is 42mm and I would not go with anything bigger for myself
I have very skinny wrist
And I don't think I would go with anything less than about 38mm on the low end now that I am used to my watch

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
You should be a hand model
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #3771
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
Certain age to own a Rolex? LOL If it's what you like and you can afford it.....who cares. How many people actually notice the brand of watch you have on? I would guess less than 10%. Watches are a lot like cars.......some {Actually most} people just buy them to tell time or get from point A to point B
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #3772
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
You're paying a lot for the Rolex brand, not the actual product. Rolex tends to have the largest advertising budget of any watch brand, usually equaling what the following 2-4 watch brands do combined. They maintain their branding very well as the go-to premium watch for those that don't know of the other even higher-end exclusive brands.
Would I like one, sure but when a Stainless Steel Daytona goes for 13k or so on the used market because Rolex limits their production...it sucks. When I get a nice watch, it's because I have the money at the time. Getting myself on a wait-list isn't ideal for me.

Omega was better priced but in the last 5-8 years or so they wanted to move themselves into a higher bracket which I can understand from a business point but as a consumer it sucks.
Yes, but Rolex holds its value like no other common known brand.

If you buy a used Rolex at a great price, you will never lose money on it after a year or two...

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #3773
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

My watch is 42mm and I would not go with anything bigger for myself
I have very skinny wrist
And I don't think I would go with anything less than about 38mm on the low end now that I am used to my watch

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
what kind of watch is that?
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #3774
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Baume & mercier classima executive automatic 8591
Discontinued model

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #3775
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
http://www.groupon.com/pages/gg-seik...atches-options

deals on seikos

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #3776
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Nice. The Monster for 99 bucks (at the bottom).
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #3777
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Nice. The Monster for 99 bucks (at the bottom).
That's a great deal.....im all over this one.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #3778
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Got this in September... its a great watch but a bit big compared to my older 16610 (which I sold to fund this)

I am thinking of selling though to fund something else though. I am always flipping or thinking what my next move will be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	477130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	477131  

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #3779
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
That's a great deal.....im all over this one.
Its regularly on amazon for $129, i dont particularly like that monster style. Prefer skx781
Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #3780
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Its regularly on amazon for $129, i dont particularly like that monster style. Prefer skx781
I don't actually like the Monster at all. I think the bezel is too large, proportionally.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote