E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #41
GaM3cocks

My Ride: Nothing for now
Hahaha fair enough and again thanks a lot guys....is there any way to test it before I buy...I dot know of you can tell I really want the car hahah
GaM3cocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #42
GaM3cocks

Alrighty well i will be getting back in the states tomorrow from vacation, so let the testing begin!!! First I'm going to take it to a BMW dealer in the area and get the "pre purchase 100 point inspection" Thats going to run me about $100. BMW wanted $175 to do the compression test but i found a BMW master tech at a euro only shop thats going to do it for me for $75!! I hoping the are running at 5-10% of each other (as told by an Active autowerkes mechanic).

If it all checks out Ill buy the car friday or saturday. Then my plan is, the first "mod" or money i put into the car is going to be taking it to Active Autowerkes in Miami and letting them do what they do best and tune the car and replace things that they say needs replacing. My goal for that visit is to keep it right around the $1000 mark.

I know people told me to keep and extra 2-3K extra to fix things, but I'm hoping to do that in increments seeing how I'm only 24 and 3K in one visit is a bit much!!

How does this sound to y'all? would YOU do anything different? switch up the order? Take it somewhere else? Take into consideration that it all checks out.....

Again, thanks a TON y'all.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #43
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Do not discount any warning lights or SES codes either. From my experience, none have turned out to be something to ignore. I've always found that they are telling you something and it might not be exactly what the SES code is telling you.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-07-2012 at 08:20 AM.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #44
GaM3cocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Do not discount any warning lights or SES codes either. From my experience, none have turned out to be something to ignore. I've always found that they are telling you something and it might not be exactly what the SES code is telling you.
Already had that checked out....SES code is on due to pre cat 02 sensors....I assuming that has something to do with the aftermarket headers.. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #45
bigjae1976

Nope. Pre cat sensors are critical to proper and safe operation of the engine. I'd make sure the seller replaces those and then rechecks. Could be a lot of things. My sensors were cooked because the car was running lean and I got that fault.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #46
GaM3cocks

ah ok cool, thanks for the reply. ill text him tonight and have that looked at/replaced before purchase
Old 11-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
GaM3cocks

Ok so I took it to get looked at and it's not throwing any codes. No leaks, brakes are great (aftermarket slotte and drilled rotors) coolant system is great. Sub frame is great, the tech drove it said the motor was runnin really strong. Sounds great. Not running too lean or rich (tech was surprised?) all the eletrical checked out.

Will need new tires on the stock wheels. He's including then rep BBS's in the sale. Sellers is replacing the headlight bulbs and fogs...interior needs a good cleaning.

The previous owner plastidiped all the Chrome that is starting to peel. (I'm going to peel it all off if I purchase) the owner has an aftermarket steering wheel, but will be including the original (which I will be swapping)

So far so good!!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #48
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM3cocks View Post
Ok so I took it to get looked at and it's not throwing any codes. No leaks, brakes are great (aftermarket slotte and drilled rotors) coolant system is great. Sub frame is great, the tech drove it said the motor was runnin really strong. Sounds great. Not running too lean or rich (tech was surprised?) all the eletrical checked out.

Will need new tires on the stock wheels. He's including then rep BBS's in the sale. Sellers is replacing the headlight bulbs and fogs...interior needs a good cleaning.

The previous owner plastidiped all the Chrome that is starting to peel. (I'm going to peel it all off if I purchase) the owner has an aftermarket steering wheel, but will be including the original (which I will be swapping)

So far so good!!
I think it's worth paying for a comp/leak down
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
GaM3cocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I think it's worth paying for a comp/leak down
Oh for sure that's Monday at 8am!!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #50
bigjae1976

Still check for codes. There still might be codes, just hasn't thrown a light yet. If he just cleared the codes, takes some time for the SES light to come on.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #51
GaM3cocks

Yeah that's what I'm scared of...BMW hooked it up to their dianostic thing and they didn't pull anything....I'm going to ask the tech to run it again on Monday after the comp test
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #52
GaM3cocks

Ok so i have been very nervous about buying this car, so i asked the guy to drive it for an extended period yesterday and this is what i have found.
-after driving the car for about and hour there was a ton of wet black "dust" on the rear bumper that came from the exhaust. looked like oil.
-there was a bit of a tick, or a scratchiness from the supercharger belt. SOrry about the explantation, just doesn't seem right, probably needed replaced.
-Brakes felt a little odd and kind of rumbled when hit hard.
-my dad was behind me and stated when i accelerated hard, thick black smoke came from the exhaust.
-the air/fuel meter read everything from 10.2-14.6 and was constantly changing. Ive never had one but I'm sure thats normal (the changing). It was around 11-12 when WOT.

What are yalls thoughts?? As of right now i have pulled out of the purchase, but i did get the guy down to 8300

Last edited by GaM3cocks; 11-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #53
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Ok so i have been very nervous about buying this car, so i asked the guy to drive it for an extended period yesterday and this is what i have found.
-after driving the car for about and hour there was a ton of wet black "dust" on the rear bumper that came from the exhaust. looked like oil.
-there was a bit of a tick, or a scratchiness from the supercharger belt. SOrry about the explantation, just doesn't seem right, probably needed replaced.
-Brakes felt a little odd and kind of rumbled when hit hard.
-my dad was behind me and stated when i accelerated hard, thick black smoke came from the exhaust.
-the air/fuel meter read everything from 10.2-14.6 and was constantly changing. Ive never had one but I'm sure thats normal (the changing). It was around 11-12 when WOT.

What are yalls thoughts?? As of right now i have pulled out of the purchase, but i did get the guy down to 8300
The black dots all over the back is prolly fuel. And black smoke is fuel also. A rich tune. The car has no cats either right?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

Last edited by InDiGlOM3; 11-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.
InDiGlOM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #54
GaM3cocks

So pretty normal?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #55
bigjae1976

I get a black film on my bumper over the pipes but that's about it.

The fact that the brakes are suspect and the belt I guess is squawking...I would say that he did not take good care of the for whatever reason.

I'd pass.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #56
GaM3cocks

Already did....y'all made awesome points and probably saved me a ton of money so I thank y'all!!!! Looks like it'll be a little while until I join the e46 family!!! Ill still be active on the forum and drool over all your cars!!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #57
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM3cocks View Post
Already did....y'all made awesome points and probably saved me a ton of money so I thank y'all!!!! Looks like it'll be a little while until I join the e46 family!!! Ill still be active on the forum and drool over all your cars!!
Well GL with purchasing another 330

-Anthony
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #58
GaM3cocks

Not positive ill be getting a e46 right now.

My dream car is an e46 M3. I've wanted one since the first time I saw the concept in 2000. My plan is to by something CHEAP until I can finally afford my dream car. Like I stated above, I've never had a car payment and don't want one right now. Straight cash homie!! Haha
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #59
bigjae1976

Concur. M3 is the way to go.