E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
The Rack Doctor
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: all BMW
Just wanted to share a little prt scrn with you this is taken from a ZF internal program (catalog) this was given to me about 10 years ago (or so) and I have found it invaluable

What I would like to point out that with many of the on line catalogs they are simply relaying information that is given to them from Manufactures (Like myself or cardone or ZF) they are also selling parts

You will see that at the bottom of the page here it shows interchanges and you will find many tags that they are saying sell as the same part number this is why many web sites and retail outlets will sell all of the E46 racks as one part number (and paint over the tags)

Alex Really I have to say that all of my customers are of the utmost skill level Ha ha Just kidding I could not agree more that at times people have no idea what car they are even driving or what year or if it has tires. most commonly people will call and say they need a set (2) rack and pinions for their vehicle. So the fact that I did get a core back from a 323 with a 712 tag may have been a fluke or someone had changed the unit prior. when I followed up with the customer he had no idea and was not the original owner. he just wanted a rack that worked !

I have conveyed what I have seen as cores returned from customers based on what they purchased (years Models)

Below is a quick glance at the 712 shaft vs the 678 shaft as i Mentioned there is a slight difference in the gear (pitch of the gear) can I take a pinion from one and swap them ......yes !!!!!!

I am sorry I don't have allot of time today to make replies but thought I would post a little more info hope it helps

Be well
Rack Doc

Last edited by The Rack Doctor; 11-07-2012 at 10:49 AM.
The Rack Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote