E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
figuej

My Ride: 330i 2001
Intake Problem code P1192

I decided to change from BMW Performance to the original intake but with K&N filter -- BMW Performance filter was too dirty and wasn't going to paid $65 plus for another paper filter.... Well once the original intake was installed back in the car a P1192 code just keep coming - I waited two days to see if the computer finally welcome the change but the code just keep coming,,,, 2001 330i... any ideas??
figuej is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
eph6jonprice

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Not sure if you already fixed this, but I'm having a problem too and saw your post... try this thread if you're still looking for help http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=p1192
eph6jonprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
figuej

Quote:
Originally Posted by eph6jonprice View Post
Not sure if you already fixed this, but I'm having a problem too and saw your post... try this thread if you're still looking for help http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=p1192
Thanks for answering - Yes , I did look at your thread and used to check few thinks..
O2 - pre cat sensors are new -- few weeks old.
O2 - after cat - never change - my car has close to 160,000 miles - no problems , starts ok - MPG lower than used to , but not too much - MAF close to two and half years old , will try to clean it. .. But since millage is high in my car I am considering changing the two catalyst converter , not for BMW ones but for the aftermarket (BAvarian and Turner - ad for $400 each) , they look ok maybe a little better than stock ones. also change the after cat sensors

What's interesting is that my car started getting the P1192 code right after I change from stock air intake filter to a K&N filter....sometimes the code dissapears , then comes back when the car drives on bad roads

Vacuum test was ok -- did smoke test and no leaks...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by figuej View Post
Thanks for answering - Yes , I did look at your thread and used to check few thinks..
O2 - pre cat sensors are new -- few weeks old.
O2 - after cat - never change - my car has close to 160,000 miles - no problems , starts ok - MPG lower than used to , but not too much - MAF close to two and half years old , will try to clean it. .. But since millage is high in my car I am considering changing the two catalyst converter , not for BMW ones but for the aftermarket (BAvarian and Turner - ad for $400 each) , they look ok maybe a little better than stock ones. also change the after cat sensors

What's interesting is that my car started getting the P1192 code right after I change from stock air intake filter to a K&N filter....sometimes the code dissapears , then comes back when the car drives on bad roads

Vacuum test was ok -- did smoke test and no leaks...
Yeah, keep me in the loop... I also found a broken hose to my secondary air injection system which one of my mechanic friends thinks was causing a vacuum leak elsewhere, but I'm not sure what else it's connected to? But that code is the one that has consistently popped up, so hopefully with the vacuum hose fixed and all the O2 sensors replaced it will stay off!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
figuej

I will ... Any idea where that broken hose is located??
Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Quote:
There is only one way to find out, take your boobs poses and examine them very carefully, just the littlest crack can set off the code. Trust me, I know this from experience, and I have replaced all my boots, and have been good ever since.

trentcdrums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
figuej

Sorry but you lost me with your "boots" - and have no idea what part you just mentioned.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I think he is referring to the intake boots that connect the air filter to the throttle body?

Suggest you read the first link below in my signature as well.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 11-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
fernando629

My Ride: 325Xi 2001
OP meant intake boots. Item #3 and #6 in this link:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...05&hg=13&fg=15
fernando629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
figuej

OK - Thanks..
Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
i think he is referring to the intake boots that connect the air filter to the throttle body?

Suggest you read the first link below in my signature as well.
+1

trentcdrums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Yeah, the secondary air injector hose runs from the far left side (standing at the headlights looking down) all the way behind the engine, quite frankly a huge pain to get to. Removing the cabin air filter housing (nearest the windshield) gives you room to get a mirror and a flashlight back there to help, but again, huge pain. There are a bunch of hoses back there that all have the potential to be cracked/disconnected causing leaks, but I'm not 100% sure that this is the source of our nemesis code... keep me updated and I will do the same for you! And out of curiosity, is one of your symptoms very "jerky" driving in regards to acceleration especially when very cold? Hope one of us can solve this mystery soon!

PS The LENGTHY post that jfoj has after his signature is a great tool, but I don't see code P1192 mentioned in there, so I just messaged him and will let you know what he says back to me!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
figuej

P1192 Update

P1192 code continues - after 160,000 miles performed the following changes.

New Fuel Pump - Recommended -
New Catalytic Converters _ Aftermarket from Bavarian Auto. $400.00 each. If you want legal headers, buy this one.. the car sounds like new and gave my UUC TS3 exhaust a new sound and a header sound like when you hit the gas, the car screams like a V8 on steroids.......

But the P1192 continues ..... A good friend told me that most cars running with the AFE intake (like mine) will run rich and recommended to get the A Autowerke programing to fix the problem...

So- Next Mod.. A Autowerke software -- Will update when done.

MAF - changed at 80,000 miles
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
eph6jonprice

Quote:
P1192 code continues - after 160,000 miles performed the following changes.

New Fuel Pump - Recommended -
New Catalytic Converters _ Aftermarket from Bavarian Auto. $400.00 each. If you want legal headers, buy this one.. the car sounds like new and gave my UUC TS3 exhaust a new sound and a header sound like when you hit the gas, the car screams like a V8 on steroids.......

But the P1192 continues ..... A good friend told me that most cars running with the AFE intake (like mine) will run rich and recommended to get the A Autowerke programing to fix the problem...

So- Next Mod.. A Autowerke software -- Will update when done.

MAF - changed at 80,000 miles
Well I did actually get the p1192 code to go away and stay away, and although I don't know for sure which "repair" fixed it, my hunch is that it was due to one of the vacuum lines between the rear of the engine and firewall being disconnected. It stayed after replacing all four o2 sensors, but I don't know if the software might fix it as well. Hope you get it figured out!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
figuej

Quote:
Well I did actually get the p1192 code to go away and stay away, and although I don't know for sure which "repair" fixed it, my hunch is that it was due to one of the vacuum lines between the rear of the engine and firewall being disconnected. It stayed after replacing all four o2 sensors, but I don't know if the software might fix it as well. Hope you get it figured out!

Could you send me a picture of the vacuum line you fixed?? - or describe to me where to locate it.?? is it by the exhaust or intake side etc.... thanks..
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Could you send me a picture of the vacuum line you fixed?? - or describe to me where to locate it.?? is it by the exhaust or intake side etc.... thanks..
No problem, had a hard time hunting down the pic but here it is... it's on the intake side... hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake-manifold-vacuum-side-ports.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	485354  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
figuej

Quote:
No problem, had a hard time hunting down the pic but here it is... it's on the intake side... hope this helps!
Thanks my friend ---- honestly, just by looking at your picture I have no idea what part is it, but I will follow the vacuum lines on that side to look for similar part.... If you have a picture of your engine and just point to the area I think that will be perfect.... but again , Thank you for your help..
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Thanks my friend ---- honestly, just by looking at your picture I have no idea what part is it, but I will follow the vacuum lines on that side to look for similar part.... If you have a picture of your engine and just point to the area I think that will be perfect.... but again , Thank you for your help..
Best way I can describe it is to say it's oriented in the picture as if you were sitting in the drivers seat and your dash and firewall were seethrough, it would be right in front of you a little to the right. If looking at the engine (standing in front of the car looking down), if you are looking at where your intake boot ends (at the throttle body) then the left side of this picture would be right above there, and the front of the picture is what you can't see because it's facing the firewall. The tip of my screwdriver in this picture is pointing to the nubs you see on the left side of the previous one. Hope that makes sense, and hope that helps, I know this can be confusing so happy to do what I can!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-17_10-03-30_730.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	485357  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
figuej

Quote:
Best way I can describe it is to say it's oriented in the picture as if you were sitting in the drivers seat and your dash and firewall were seethrough, it would be right in front of you a little to the right. If looking at the engine (standing in front of the car looking down), if you are looking at where your intake boot ends (at the throttle body) then the left side of this picture would be right above there, and the front of the picture is what you can't see because it's facing the firewall. The tip of my screwdriver in this picture is pointing to the nubs you see on the left side of the previous one. Hope that makes sense, and hope that helps, I know this can be confusing so happy to do what I can!!!
Got it now - perfect thanks - from that point one hose goes to the firewall and the other one (the thin one) goes to the intake boot... can't see where it goes under but it will be quite a job to clear that area... I will let you know... When you said yours was disconnected - what did you mean?? broken??. off??,

Again -- thanks for your help..
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
eph6jonprice

Quote:
Got it now - perfect thanks - from that point one hose goes to the firewall and the other one (the thin one) goes to the intake boot... can't see where it goes under but it will be quite a job to clear that area... I will let you know... When you said yours was disconnected - what did you mean?? broken??. off??,

Again -- thanks for your help..
Mine was all funky, just looked like someone had a bunch of them unplugged and just stuck em where there was an open hole, but the one I think "did it" was the little black and white cylinder with a hose running into each side, the white side was unplugged so I just had to reconnect it. While you're back there fooling around, I would highly suggest running new hose (fairly cheap) where ever you find hose that even COULD be going/gone bad. It's a pain to get back there, so once you do I would make the most of it. There's a lot you can remove pretty easily to get a little more access (cabin air housing, panel behind that, upper and lower boots, and heat shield on the right). And lastly, a flashlight and telescoping mirror will be your new best friends if you have them ;-)

You're welcome for the help... people helped me so it's my pleasure to be in the place to "pay it forward"... hope it all goes well and easier than you expect!