E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Nycscoobydan

My Ride: 330Cci
Passenger window not lowering when door is opened

So normally when you open the door the window is supposed to drop ~1/8" so that it doesn't catch on the weather stripping. For some reason it didn't one of the times the door was opened, and when it closed the forward corner of the glass gouged up my a pillar and chipped the corner in the process.
Now it doesn't do this every time, but I have noticed on more than one occasion that it hangs up when someone opens the door. Do I have a faulty sensor in my door, or are people just opening the door too quickly and not giving the motor a chance to do its thing?? I haven't had this happen on the driver's side, but that could be because I pull the door handle, watch the window "magically" do its thing, then proceed to open the door all the way. But then again I'm also reluctant to slam the door when i'm closing it. This is my first car with frameless windows so i'm probably babying it more than I need to.

Has anyone else had this problem? and if you have seen it happen, what can I do to stop it? I really don't want the glass cracking completely.
Nycscoobydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
lokepup

My Ride: 2006 330ci
I have this same problem ..

but on my drivers side. My problem started when my battery died and i replaced it.

Hope someone can help us.
lokepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Nycscoobydan

I have an appointment at the dealer to check it out this Monday. I'll let you know what they find.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
good luck. Please do let us know what they find.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Nycscoobydan

Got back from the dealer, they adjusted the window a few mm towards the rear. It seems like it did the trick. They checked the window motor, actuator and sensor in the door and everything was working fine. Don't ask me how he adjusted the window, they just brought it around back and came out with a working window
Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Dundeal07

My Ride: 325cic
I have the same problem. The dealer so far has changed the tracks, the regulator, and the window sensor. They still cant figure out what is wrong. After every fix my window works fine for a few days and then it stops working again. Please let us know what happens with yours.
Dundeal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Hi there, ok well IMHO to get to the bottom of this you have to consider what triggers the window to lower... So, the window lowers slightly when the door is opened, it stays that way until closed.... So.... the message isn't getting through to the mechanism.... Is your interior light coming on when you open the door? If not, could be the door switch? It's that or a software issue...The best thing you could do would be to hook up a DIS code reader and run through the test mode it will diagnose the issue and come up with a possible fix... Thats what your garage will do anyway...
On a previous car (911) this was a common problem and was usually put down to a micro switch which was an easy fix... let us know how you get on...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I noticed whenever I disconnect my battery the window will not roll back up after closing the door. I just need to roll the window up myself after closing the door. This seems to teach the car how to roll the window down and back up properly.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Charlescrs6

My Ride: E46 M3 Convertible
Not the exact same problem, but mine does this occasionally. ONLY with the soft top though.. doesn't make sense! With the hard top on it never happens, but with the soft top sometimes I will open the door, go to close it and the window will get stuck on the top and not seal. If I open the door again it goes down and will then seal when I close the door. Any help?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Sounds like a glitch... does the window go down a bit when you open the first time or not? It's only likely to catch on closing if it hasn't gone down in the first place... Again a test plan in DIS is what you need for glitchy things like this... Find someone local who doesnt charge the earth for diagnostics and get the memory and therefor history checked... It will hopefully show up as a fault...

gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Charlescrs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusmagoo View Post
Sounds like a glitch... does the window go down a bit when you open the first time or not? It's only likely to catch on closing if it hasn't gone down in the first place... Again a test plan in DIS is what you need for glitchy things like this... Find someone local who doesnt charge the earth for diagnostics and get the memory and therefor history checked... It will hopefully show up as a fault...

It goes down enough for the door to open I guess but not enough for the window to not catch on the top. It's very odd.. Perhaps I'll have someone scan it, maybe there's a fault
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
Nycscoobydan

So after driving the car for a couple days since they adjusted the window, I think they slid it too far back. I'm hearing a whistle coming from the window seal, so somewhere along the seal it isn't making adequate contact. I have to go back in for them to replace the f*ed up frame(they thought they had the trim in but it was matte, not gloss.) So maybe there is some butter zone it needs to be in, I hope this is gonna be the last trip since its a 45 minute drive to the dealer.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
twgriffiths

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci Conv
My 330ci convertible has also gone intermittent on recognizing the door is open, and therefore cracking the window a bit. I can confirm it's a failure to recognize the door open as the rear seat access switch on the top side of the seat fails to function at those same times that the window didn't crack. Another forum provided the following input from someone:
Quote:
The door ajar sensor is in the door latch assembly. It's a hall effect sensor which detects a magnet on the rotary latch (metal plate on the door that catches the U shaped hook on the door jam). Since it's a hall effect sensor you can't easily measure it which makes troubleshooting difficult. If you are having problems it's easiest to just replace the door latch/actuator assembly.
I'm digging in tomorrow and if I find a fix other than replacement (such as a good cleaning or loose connection), I'll be sure to share it.
twgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Dundeal07

My Ride: 325cic
So I took my car to the dealer they said that my battery voltage is low that's why its doing that. This is BS because they have already changed my window regulator, window weather stripping, the actuators and the sensors. They told me my battery is draining because of the LED angle eyes. They charged up my battery and just a day later it happened again. I going to take it in again and see what excuse their going to give me this time.
Dundeal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Charlescrs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundeal07 View Post
So I took my car to the dealer they said that my battery voltage is low that's why its doing that. This is BS because they have already changed my window regulator, window weather stripping, the actuators and the sensors. They told me my battery is draining because of the LED angle eyes. They charged up my battery and just a day later it happened again. I going to take it in again and see what excuse their going to give me this time.
Mine does it even after a battery replacement. I think it's something with how the Soft Top latches.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
Maybe try to sync he windows, had to do this with my Benz so maybe the BMW has the same thing.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
Someone knocked my driver side wing mirror (electric power fold memory) and i noticed my window wouldnt go up and down with opening/closing door sometimes, (the wires were damaged leading to wing mirror where it was broken). after replacing wing mirror the window has been fine. not sure if related... but something i noticed.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
I'm having the same problem. My regulator is going bad. Going to fix it this weekend and have someone adjust my windows.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Andreati

My Ride: 330Cic 2000/2001
My problem is a little different: The driver window go down very very little, then it does'n seal right. See the pictures: first, the passengers window, that is OK:

And now the driver's...

Anyone knows how is controlled the distance that the windows go down? Is it a position sensor?

Thanks for any help!
Andreati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreati View Post
My problem is a little different: The driver window go down very very little, then it does'n seal right. See the pictures: first, the passengers window, that is OK:

And now the driver's...

Anyone knows how is controlled the distance that the windows go down? Is it a position sensor?

Thanks for any help!
I have the same issue on the drivers side.

Tags
crack, window