E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
Same here. I wanted to pair this with the 6766 turbo... Now I'm going to have to get 2 separate tunes if I decide not to wait... 2014 seems so faaaaaar.
Well it's kind of Chris' fault that you're excited. He made it seem like it was going to be available sooner rather than later. I guess we're going to have to wait for later.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
dragosid

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
...We finally perfected this with the HPF/AEM and were able to control multiple boost control solenoids, 4 maps, methanol, traction control, knock sirens, dual vanos, etc. etc.
Is there any way in the meantime to somehow have a wheel based traction control such as ProEFI's on the existing AEM units? (even if it includes buying and installing some additional sensors...)

Pulled the trigger! Built engine + 6766 Dual BB + Open Dump + 15/23 PSI - Holy F#@$ this build is insane!

HPF Stage 2.5 - 739rwhp & 581ft-lbs SAE
best 1/4 mile (ST2) 11.77'@123mph 1.9' R/T on Toyo R888 295/30/19
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S - stock

Last edited by dragosid; 11-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosid View Post
Is there any way in the meantime to somehow have a wheel based traction control such as ProEFI's on the existing AEM units? (even if it includes buying and installing some additional sensors...)

The only thing that I can think of is to get a Race Logic traction unit. They work great. The AEM does not have anything in the software for this so it would be a whole new firmware.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
nothing that the proefi and Vipec dont do and are available today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post

What makes sense about the Infinity for someone to want it?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
Well it's kind of Chris' fault that you're excited. He made it seem like it was going to be available sooner rather than later. I guess we're going to have to wait for later.
Chris is the messenger of the information that was relayed to him. It's sure nice of him to keep everyone updated.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 11-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
*edit*

Trying to be nice.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

Last edited by dallasberry; 11-08-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #27
gringotegra

My Ride: Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
Does John recommend any other ways of achieving a flex fuel tune for the meantime?

John would say "Put a Motec in it"
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #28
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringotegra View Post
May have been Jason's ProEFI hype, but didn't think Motec was any better at dealing with fluctuating ethanol contents than the AEM
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #29
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
motec scales e85 content like the proefi. john also fully supports the vipec which is fully supported on the e46. for 1/2 the price of motec
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #30
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
I am pretty sure that Motec is not true ve based like proefi so it cannot do ethanol exactly like proefi.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
John Reed

My Ride: AE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringotegra View Post
I do have a tendency to like to do things right, the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDu4ea View Post
May have been Jason's ProEFI hype, but didn't think Motec was any better at dealing with fluctuating ethanol contents than the AEM
The MoTeC can fully do flex fuel, and to my knowledge was one of the first ECUs to do it. I was doing flex fuel on the MoTeC back when Jason was still working for AEM. ProEFI did drive the popularity of the feature though, to the point now it is a major shopping point for the average ECU consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
motec scales e85 content like the proefi. john also fully supports the vipec which is fully supported on the e46. for 1/2 the price of motec
ViPEC V88 does flex fuel very well, but no speed based traction control (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I am pretty sure that Motec is not true ve based like proefi so it cannot do ethanol exactly like proefi.
If you mean it doesn't handle it in the software like the ProEFI then your statement is correct. They are two different ECUs and the end fueling calculations are handled differently. However if you mean the MoTeC cannot fully compensate for the changing ethanol content and adjust fuel, timing, boost, start enrichment, accel fuel and a myriad of other things then your statement is a bit misleading.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reed View Post
If you mean it doesn't handle it in the software like the ProEFI then your statement is correct. They are two different ECUs and the end fueling calculations are handled differently.

Yes, that is all that I meant. I know that there is not much that you cannot do with Motec, just that it does things a bit differently than ProEFI with their fuel strategies.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #33
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
The ProEFI works perfect with the E46, I worked with a friend to develop a flash to make the stock ECU happy when running with a stand alone. While Motec CAN do flexfuel its no where near as straight forward as how ProEFI does it. The way fueling is calculated is WAY different. While Motec is a proven solution, it is definitely several steps behind strategy wise compared to ProEFI. ProEFI still provides the most stable fueling and ignition control over any system I've used, and over the widest range of conditions.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
In hind sight this is somewhat true. AEM has been in the development stages of the Infinity box for the Supra for awhile now because they want to make sure it's perfect before they release it. We were hoping for a release date to come sooner on the Supra box so they could start on the E46 M3 application and I had been pushing AEM for this. So it's not really their fault they want to come out with a more reliable product and that takes time as we all know. There is a fierce demand for a more usable VE based engine management system and I do like what I've seen so far. Now we just get to sit back and wait.

Chris.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #35
Providence

My Ride: HPF Stage 3 m3
Send a message via MSN to Providence
Well upcoming m1 from motec seems promising

Last edited by Providence; 11-15-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
Well up coming m1 from motec seems promising
Have you been working with the config files? If so...who gave them to you?Motec has them locked down...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Have you been working with the config files? If so...who gave them to you?Motec has them locked down...
Whats the base on the Motec M161/M131/etc.. I imagine all the options are a la carte as well. Such as DBW, wheel speed traction control, etc..

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 11-15-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
Bugermass

ShaneT Posted up $10,000 for the 151 he had.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #39
Bugermass

Sorry it was $10,500
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
Sorry it was $10,500

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 11-15-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Closed Thread