E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #601
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Nice keep us posted
I will have my updated AEM tomorrow and will install and run it tomorrow night when I get off work. So i will have an update by 10pm Friday

Last edited by being3; 10-19-2012 at 12:24 AM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #602
being3
Modded ///Member

AEM arrived.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #603
being3
Modded ///Member

Installed updated AEM. No change same 11.7 at idle ?????

Doesn't make sense to me if the problem was the TPS voltage and the map was at 4% as a result , correcting the base TPS voltage should have resolved it ? I would have at least seen some change?

I m disappointed and confused.

Last edited by being3; 10-20-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #604
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Installed updated AEM. No change same 11.7 at idle ?????

Doesn't make sense to me if the problem was the TPS voltage and the map was at 4% as a result , correcting the base TPS voltage should have resolved it ? I would have at least seen some change?

I m disappointed and confused.
That sucks man...have you thought about taking the car back down to HPF to diagnose the car in person? Mad props to you for taking all this time working on the car trying to get the bugs worked out...some big gremlin seems to be hiding.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #605
being3
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
That sucks man...have you thought about taking the car back down to HPF to diagnose the car in person? Mad props to you for taking all this time working on the car trying to get the bugs worked out...some big gremlin seems to be hiding.
Chris at HPF says the he can lower further the TPS voltage to possibly fix my issue. I have also noticed that driving it with the new tune to be lean in the part throttle while cruising so I think my car needs to go down to HPF and just get the tune sorted out once and for all. Ill have to see when they can do it which is up in the air right now

Last edited by being3; 10-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #606
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Chris at HPF says the he can lower further the TPS voltage to possibly fix my issue. I have also noticed that driving it with the new tune to be lean in the part throttle while cruising so I think my car needs to go down to HPF and just get the tune sorted out once and for all. Ill have to see when they can do it which is up in the air right now
Cruising on the freeway should utilize less than 10% of the available power. As long as the EGT is acceptable, the leaner conditions just means your car is getting more MPG with the new tune.

On the other hand, if the EGT is high, a couple MPGs more is not worth the risk of damaging the engine.

Perhaps it's worth putting in an EGT sensor? What AF reading do you get when it goes lean like this?
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #607
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
Cruising on the freeway should utilize less than 10% of the available power. As long as the EGT is acceptable, the leaner conditions just means your car is getting more MPG with the new tune.

On the other hand, if the EGT is high, a couple MPGs more is not worth the risk of damaging the engine.

Perhaps it's worth putting in an EGT sensor? What AF reading do you get when it goes lean like this?

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 10-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #608
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
He's checking with his Tech's...standby
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #609
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
LOL you guys are hilarious.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #610
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Quote:
OMFG....

I fell out of my chair!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #611
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #612
MarcusLSB

Thanks, I'll be here all week. (Dont' take it personal BDave, I give everyone crap. )

---

Back on topic.. so you're bringing the car down to HPF to have them look at it? You having anything else done to it while its there? Makes sense to schedule something else, make the trip more productive.. or have you already done a Dr. Vanos rebuild/etc.

New Build by Lab22

Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #613
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #614
being3
Modded ///Member

So John Reed had a look at my logs and saw that my TPS voltage was at certain points throwing off the AEM and causing it to run rich as a result of the throttle actuation timing.

When I had the GT1 tool run the TDK test it recorded a out of spec delay on my throttle. After oiling the linkage and throttle shafts the timing was back within spec and passed the GT1 TDK test. The AEM is expecting a certain voltage and mine still fall out side what it's normally programmed for.

They r having me take new logs and will calibrate my tune accordingly. Its comforting to know that they see the issue so clearly. So I'm insuring the car for the day and put the car through its paces and send the AEM off to the master

Last edited by being3; 11-08-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #615
R10_Telemetry

My Ride: VF570 E46 M3
Quote:
So John Reed had a look at my logs and saw that my TPS voltage was at certain points throwing off the AEM and causing it to run rich as a result of the throttle actuation timing. ... So I'm insuring the car for the day and put the car through its paces and send the AEM off to the master
Sounds like things are looking up - good luck!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #616
being3
Modded ///Member

After working on cleaning up and lubricating the throttle linkage / assembly my AFR at idle are now in the 13s and the car runs well. Ill be sending my AEM with the logs to get it dialed in.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #617
MarcusLSB

Quote:
After working on cleaning up and lubricating the throttle linkage / assembly my AFR at idle are now in the 13s and the car runs well. Ill be sending my AEM with the logs to get it dialed in.
Awesome!

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #618
bmxpert86

My Ride: e46 TiAg ///M3
Nice, I hope you get everything all sorted out once and for all.

Where the hell is the seller? He sure as hell spewed BS when their was a problem or someone was scammed. He got involved and threw salt in wounds when he felt someone was wronged, I'm officially making a cartoon about is shady ways, just like he did so many times.

Sorry Being, I'am so pissed that you are going through this. I have been on this forum for quite some time and reading your PO's rants about being wronged and how he portrayed himself as a good guy and it just really grinds my gears that your going through all this. I wouldn't even comment on anything if it was a little hiccup but you have endured enough. These problems were not disclosed and you deserve some money back for all the costs your enduring.

Best wishes, every time I check your thread it seems like your almost in the clear and BAM another problem and car still not 100%. I really hope everything works out.

Last edited by bmxpert86; 11-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.
bmxpert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #619
being3
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxpert86 View Post

Where the hell is the seller? He sure as hell spewed BS when their was a problem or someone was scammed. He got involved and threw salt in wounds when he felt someone was wronged, I'm officially making a cartoon about is shady ways, just like he did so many times.

Sorry Being, I'am so pissed that you are going through this. I have been on this forum for quite some time and reading your PO's rants about being wronged and how he portrayed himself as a good guy and it just really grinds my gears that your going through all this. I wouldn't even comment on anything if it was a little hiccup but you have endured enough. These problems were not disclosed and you deserve some money back for all the costs your enduring.

Best wishes, every time I check your thread it seems like your almost in the clear and BAM another problem and car still not 100%. I really hope everything works out.
The problem is now known and with the stereo and other mods the original owner added is most likely a contributing factor with TPS voltage noise effecting the AEM. Ill be disconnecting the amp and a few other things and see how that helps it or not. I'm close and HPF has been great throughout this whole issue. As far as where the owner is I suspect he is going through some personal and financial issues. It's certainly not an excuse but I do understand and have forgiven him and moved on. I like to think that he is a good person regardless of his mistakes.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #620
VicRod88

My Ride: e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxpert86 View Post

He is probably to busy making videos of Mert, Proefi and VF!!

OP, glad you are getting close to getting the car running as it should. I would think HPF would assist you in getting your car down to them and get things straight as after all, they did go over it before you purchased it giving it a clean bill of health. Good luck and hopefully by the time the weather gets better, your car will be ready.

Tags
e46 m3, hpf, stage 2.5, turbo