E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #41
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Design small flange that goes around the perimeter of the vents on the underside of the hood, you may want this anyway just for rigidity. Design a black ABS plastic cover with 3 or 4 barbed tabs that latch onto this flange hold it in place; you could send the design off to an injection molder and probably get them for like $20 each. Use some adhesive backed foam strip on the cover to seal out water and prevent marring or rattling.

add huge HPF markup and BAM! $300 seal able vent option that people would buy just to keep pollen and little drops of water off the top of their engine.
Less than 200usd please. The hood will be expensive enough. If the cover is designed to be fast and easy to put on, then I imagine more than 50% of hood buyers would also buy a removable cover(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
People need to ask why Vorsteiner stopped making the GTR hood.

My guess is that the demographic of M3 owners has changed, and that "current" M3 owners don't see value in a $2000 hood. A person that can afford to buy a $55k car is going to have a different disposable income versus a person that can afford to buy a $25k car.

My personal view on this is that HPF needs to decide what THEY want out of designing and selling their own hood. Do they want to make a market statement with a functional design? Do they want to adapt to general market consensus to sell volume?

If I was managing this project, I would probably bring in a big name aero guy like Andrew Brilliant to do both. Chris...he's worth calling.
You bring up VERY interesting points. I hear you.

Last edited by Bdave; 11-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #42
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I'm leaning towards doing a BMW GTR style hood with an Asuka style center. The shutters will cost quite a bit more to include which would raise the proce considerably so I may not do those.

Chris
How much would a shutter option add to the cost of the hood?
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
HPF Kris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: My Dreams
Meeting up with Advanced Composite Systems yesterday, we had a pleasure to watch the master Art Director Kris draw the version of the hood we wanted from scratch. All he needed was a description, a pencil, and a blank sheet of paper.

This might not be the final version as well. The hood will be tweaked here and there... but just know, this was how it all started.

Provided by: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com
Music: Kezwik - The Traveler

HPF Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #44
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I wanna hate it, that was good. I enjoyed the older gentlemen giving his POV. Good sh!t.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #45
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
How much would a shutter option add to the cost of the hood?
I will look into the costs of having the hood made so that covers can be attached to the underside (that we can provide). This way the hood can be ordered without them for those that want to save some money. The video shows the hood with the standard Asuka style center section that most people equate with the orange HPF M3. I asked Kris to mock up the Asuka center on the Vorsteiner GTR hood we have on the drag car and i have to admit it looks damn hot.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #46
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #47
zurus

My Ride: .
hahahaha i was confused when i first saww the kris username
zurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #48
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
I'm leaning towards doing a BMW GTR style hood with an Asuka style center. The shutters will cost quite a bit more to include which would raise the proce considerably so I may not do those.

Chris
I'm liking this idea.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #49
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
I will look into the costs of having the hood made so that covers can be attached to the underside (that we can provide). This way the hood can be ordered without them for those that want to save some money. The video shows the hood with the standard Asuka style center section that most people equate with the orange HPF M3. I asked Kris to mock up the Asuka center on the Vorsteiner GTR hood we have on the drag car and i have to admit it looks damn hot.

Chris.
Why not just have him design your own hood. Instead of basically stealing other peoples ideas reworking them a bit and calling it your own. You've got somebody that can design and make a real "HPF" hood. Have him design a hood from scratch.

Being serious.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #50
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Why not just have him design your own hood. Instead of basically stealing other peoples ideas reworking them a bit and calling it your own. You've got somebody that can design and make a real "HPF" hood. Have him design a hood from scratch.

Being serious.
Only so much you can do to a hood without making it lame. I think all hoods are lame other then stock. Thats just me. Gtr hood is lame from vorsteiner not to mention its flimsy and dont line up at all. Only thing id buy is a hood that has a vent right above hpf intake. Maybe ill cut a hole in my factory hood haha

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #51
MaverickM3

No, I get that. I would have kept the stock hood if I was not widebody. I understand there's really only so much that can be done. But why make "your" hood not really your hood. It's kinda like saying hey you stay there and design and make a hood. Then to only have a another company take part of your design put it in there "own" hood. Granted I'm am by No means saying Chris is trying to steal from anybody. Just would like to know why not make your own hood from scratch when you have designer right there.

:Edit: Would be nice to see something actually new.

Last edited by MaverickM3; 11-06-2012 at 08:29 AM.
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #52
323tom

My Ride: 2 turbo e46's
Lol Mav i get what your saying But Chris already tried with his own designs and potential customers said its not for BMWs which I agree and those same potential customers said a redesigned GTR style hood would be best with all the kinks works out that most the vorsteiner hoods have, mines pretty much flawless but the Clear coat where my vents started to fade and also my CSL vorsteiner trunk started to fade...
Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #53
MaverickM3

Ok. Thumbsup

:Edit: Yeah I've heard a lot of people complain about vorstiener products not being the best quality.

Last edited by MaverickM3; 11-06-2012 at 08:54 AM.
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #54
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Ok. Thumbsup

:Edit: Yeah I've heard a lot of people complain about vorstiener products not being the best quality.

I have taken to have any CF product sanded and clear coated (UV) by MY paint and body guy. I know its done correctly then. It doesn't cost that much. I tell him to wait until he is clear coating another project and spray my pieces then. Much cheaper. I dont pay for any set up labor. I hardly get charged much at all really for a bunch of smaller pieces.

My Vorstiener License plate frame got trashed(dull, soft, punky..it was terrible!) by the sun in mere months before I started clear coating ALL my CF pieces.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #55
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Only so much you can do to a hood without making it lame. I think all hoods are lame other then stock. Thats just me. Gtr hood is lame from vorsteiner not to mention its flimsy and dont line up at all. Only thing id buy is a hood that has a vent right above hpf intake. Maybe ill cut a hole in my factory hood haha

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
I think it would be cool to have a hood designed with a discrete ram air duct positioned just over each headlamp.

Imagine a 1/2" to 1" gap between the top inside edge of the headlamp and the top inside edge of the hood that covers the lamp on each side of the grill. This opening would be triangular in shape where the most acute angle would be formed by the intersection between the top outside edge of the headlamp and the top outside edge of the hood.

The lines of the hood over the lamp will have that aggressive "over-hang" look. The air would flow over the headlamp, into this triangular opening (the "overhang") and pass through the air passage ducting directly to the air filter.

Of course the central portion of the hood would need to be reshaped keep the same relative proportions of the OEM hood and help make such a design work.

The ducting could be held in place by the same snap ins and tabs that another member suggested be used to hold the shutters in place. People without the turbo kit could flip the ducting over so that air could feed an after market airbox on the drivers side (another option for the NA guys).

I hope my description was clear enough.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #56
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
I think it would be cool to have a hood designed with a discrete ram air duct positioned just over each headlamp.

Imagine a 1/2" to 1" gap between the top inside edge of the headlamp and the top inside edge of the hood that covers the lamp on each side of the grill. This opening would be triangular in shape where the most acute angle would be formed by the intersection between the top outside edge of the headlamp and the top outside edge of the hood.

The lines of the hood over the lamp will have that aggressive "over-hang" look. The air would flow over the headlamp, into this triangular opening (the "overhang") and pass through the air passage ducting directly to the air filter.

Of course the central portion of the hood would need to be reshaped keep the same relative proportions of the OEM hood and help make such a design work.

The ducting could be held in place by the same snap ins and tabs that another member suggested be used to hold the shutters in place. People without the turbo kit could flip the ducting over so that air could feed an after market airbox on the drivers side (another option for the NA guys).

I like your ideas. I'm not sure how much work that will be but i'd like them to draw it out to see what that might look like.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #57
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...7#post14885097
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #58
VicRod88

My Ride: e46m
As everything else in life, keep it simple!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #59
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post

Letting air under the hood at the front edge would cause a lot of buffeting and shaking at speed. For this reason BMW uses rubber seals to seal off air from entering hear. Also, you would have to make that air do a sharp 90 degree turn, and then a full 180 degree turn because air travels upwards through the airbox so air needs to enter from below. You're probably going to lose all possible benefits right there.

Also, you aren't going to be able to force air into the airbox from a vent in the hood by reversing the ducts. Just the air traveling over the opening will want to extract some air, and if the vents are in the front third of the hood, just the shape of the car will extract air from the vents. I wouldn't be surprised if the E92 M3 has the hole into the airbox in the hood just for letting out intake sound.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #60
HPF Kris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: My Dreams
Thumbs Up Getting Closer To Perfection: HPF Hood v2.0

Creating the perfect hood can be very time consuming. We are striving to create a design that would appeal to the masses. We do listen to your feedback, comment, and input. We are creating this hood for YOU.

So version 2 of our hood design took some of those inputs. Let us know what you think. What would you want to see? What would you change? Give us your input and we'll listen. We are definitely eager to have this rolling in production.

HPF Kris is offline   Reply With Quote