E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
mjcoflesky3

My Ride: 330xi
Send a message via AIM to mjcoflesky3
Car Repair

So I dropped my car off at BMW Norwood yesterday for a tail light recall and an oil change, this is what I get from them today...it's an 8 page breakdown with all of the problems with my car, to the tune of $5081.33!!! Any adivce? I honestly feel like this is a scam because the car seems to be running fine. I did notice the tire, but outside of that, this is nuts!!! Thanks again all.

Original Customer Requests
The following is what you requested we perform or investigate regarding your vehicle:
A. TOP OFF WASHER FLUID PER CUSTOMER REQUEST
B. 0063220100 B63 06 11, E46 sedan tail light ground
C. PERFORM A WORLD CLASS MULTIPOINT INSPECTION.
D. THIS RESERVATION CREATED BY MATT 595
E. Oil and Filter Change (Unscheduled/Customer Requested) (OEM)
F. CUST STATES WASHER FLUD LEAK POSSIBLE

BMW Gallery of Norwood World Class
Package Results Inspection
Failed Task Observation Recommendation
Inspect accessory drive belts Found all drive belts cracked Replace all drive drive belts
Inspect overall tire and wheel wear and
condition
Found bubble in sidewall Mount and balance 1 new tire
(right front)
Check engine oil level and condition and
check for leaks
Found engine oil leak • Reseal oil filter housing
• Replace vanos hose
• Replace valve cover gasket
Cautioned Task Observation Recommendation
Inspect axles, driveshaft(s) and CV
joints/boots
• Found left outter CV boot
rotted
• Found right outter CV boot dry
rotted
• Found left inner CV boot
leaking
• Found right inner CV boot
leaking
• Replace both front inner CV
joint boots
• Replace both front outer CV
joint boots
Measure left front tire tread depth 4mm
Measure right front tire tread depth 4mm
Measure right rear tire tread depth 4mm
Measure left rear tire tread depth 4mm
Check power steering fluid level and
condition and check for leaks
Found power steering fluid seep Replace power steering hose
(pump to rack)
Check brake fluid level and condition and
check for leaks
Found brake fluid to be
dirty/contaminated
Perform brake system fluid
service
BMW Gallery of Norwood
918 Providence Hwy Norwood, MA ***9679; (781) 762-2691 ***9679; www.bmwgallerynorwood.com
647573 2
** The following section may contain instructions for servicing various components of your vehicle. These are
an overview of the process that will be performed by a skilled technician in our shop. They are not intended to
be a guide for a “do-it-yourself” operation.
Passed Task Observation Recommendation
Check and adjust all tire pressure Set tire pressures to
recommended psi - Check tire
pressures monthly
Measure front brake pad total thickness Greater than 5mm
Measure rear brake pad total thickness Greater than 5mm
Passed Tasks
Inspect engine mounts Inspect air cleaner element Fill windshield washer fluid
Inspect hazard light operation Inspect brake light operation Inspect back-up light operation
Inspect taillight, turn signal, side marker,
and license plate lights
Inspect taillight, turn signal, and side
marker assemblies for cracks and
damage
Inspect fog lights and headlight low and
bright beam operation
Inspect windshield wiper and washer
operation
Check horn operation Inspect heat and air conditioning
operation
Inspect dash and interior lights Inspect instrument panel warning lamps Inspect all vehicle wiper blades
Perform battery performance check Inspect battery terminals and cables Inspect ignition wires and spark plugs (if
equipped)
Inspect cabin air/HEPA micro filter (if
equipped)
Inspect all hoses and clamps Inspect front windshield and rear window
condition
Inspect power locking system operation Inspect power window and mirror
operation
Check and adjust all tire pressure
Measure front brake pad total thickness Measure rear brake pad total thickness Inspect exhaust system for leaks,
damage, and loose parts
Inspect wheel bearings Inspect transmission mount(s) Inspect transfer case fluid level and
condition (if equipped)
Inspect rear differential for leaks Inspect fuel tank, lines, and connections Brake Caliper Siezed
Inspect front differential for leaks (if
equipped)
Inspect steering and sway bar
components
Inspect suspension components
Check clutch adjustment Check engine coolant level and
condition and check for leaks
Inspect transmission for leaks
Additional Observations Recommendation
R/R DIRECTIONAL OUT. AFTERMARKET
TAILLAMPS
INSTALL FACTORY TAIL LAMPS
Below is information we feel would help you better understand some of the reasons for taking preventive
maintenance steps -- steps that help to ensure the reliability and safety of your vehicle for you and your family.
Additional Information
BMW Gallery of Norwood
918 Providence Hwy Norwood, MA ***9679; (781) 762-2691 ***9679; www.bmwgallerynorwood.com
647573 3
** The following section may contain instructions for servicing various components of your vehicle. These are
an overview of the process that will be performed by a skilled technician in our shop. They are not intended to
be a guide for a “do-it-yourself” operation.
The accessory drive belts on your vehicle perform many functions. The power steering
system, alternator (charging system), and AC system are all driven by accessory drive
belts. On some vehicles, accessory drive belts also drive the water pump, engine cooling
fan, and air injection pump (emission control). Accessory drive belts wear during normal
engine operation, and need to be checked and replaced periodically; you can lose one or
more systems if a belt is broken. A broken fan or waterpump belt can cause severe
overheating which could result in expensive repairs, or even total engine failure. A
broken power steering belt can result in the loss of your vehicle's power steering system,
which could make your vehicle very difficult to steer. A broken alternator belt could
cause your vehicle to lose all of its electrical power, and could eventually result in a dead
battery.
Significance:
Worn accessory drive
belt
New accessory drive belt
AI-11
Loosen the drive belt tensioner and remove the old belt. Inspect the tensioner and idler
pulley bearings for noise or signs of wear. Inspect tensioner and idler pulleys. Install the
new belt. Start the engine, and after a minute or so, shut the engine off. Recheck the belt
tension and make final adjustments as necessary.
Operation Description:
Belt replacement - serp, acc, fan, drive, v
Advantage:
Make sure that the drive belts on your vehicle are in good condition. This is an important
point to keep in mind as you attempt to keep your vehicle reliable and safe. Drive belt
replacement is recommended at certain mileage intervals. This step can also save you
money by avoiding possible engine damage and costly engine repairs.
BMW Gallery of Norwood
647573 4
CV joints allow your drive axles to transmit torque to the wheels, while still allowing the
wheels to turn left or right when steering the car. CV joints also allow the suspension to
function normally, while still allowing the drive axles to move your car down the
highway. The CV joint boots cover the CV joints protecting them from dirt, debris, and
water. A torn or damaged CV joint boot allows the CV joint grease to collect dirt and
debris, which will quickly destroy the joint. A worn out CV joint will start to make
noise, and will eventually break, leaving the vehicle disabled. Often times, other vehicle
damage will result when a CV joint breaks, resulting in an expensive repair.
Significance:
Damaged CV joint
New CV joint
AI-21
Remove the CV axle with the damaged joint from the vehicle. Remove the worn-out CV
joint from the axle shaft. Pack the new CV joint with the proper grease, and install it
onto the axle, along with a new CV boot. Reinstall the CV axle assembly onto the
vehicle.
Operation Description:
CV joint and boot replacement
Advantage:
Nobody wants to be stranded by the side of the road with a broken-down vehicle.
Replacing a worn-out CV joint will help ensure that your vehicle stays reliable. You will
also save money by avoiding additional damage and expense that can be caused by the
CV joint breaking completely.
Your vehicle's tires are the only connection between your vehicle and the road. Safe
vehicle operation depends on your tires being in good condition. If your tires are
neglected, the tread can wear completely away, leaving the tire bald and often exposing
the steel cords. Not only is this condition dangerous, it is also unlawful in many states.
Tires with an abnormal tread wear pattern can cause the vehicle to shimmy and vibrate,
and can adversely affect the manner in which your vehicle performs. A tire with an
abnormal tread wear pattern will no longer contact the road the way that it was designed
to, and this condition can be dangerous, especially during adverse road conditions.
Significance:
Signs of irregular tire
wear
New tire
AI-23
Raise the vehicle using an automotive lift. Remove the rim and tire assembly from the
vehicle. Remove the tire from the rim. Install a new valve stem assembly. Install a new
tire on the rim. Inflate the tire to recommended pressure. Balance the tire and rim
assembly on a computer-aided dynamic tire balancing machine. Reinstall the tire and rim
assembly onto the vehicle. Torque the wheel retaining nuts to the vehicle manufacturer’s
specifications.
Operation Description:
Tire replacement
Advantage:
Replacing worn tires is part of vehicle maintenance that is necessary to ensure that your
driving experience is as safe as possible. Besides the obvious safety benefits, tires that
are in good condition and properly inflated to the correct air pressure can increase the
overall fuel economy and help provide a comfortable ride.
BMW Gallery of Norwood
647573 5
Does your vehicle’s brake pedal feel “spongy”? Brake fluid becomes contaminated over
time and use. Heat and moisture can cause brake failure. Contaminated fluid leads to
expensive repairs.
Significance:
Harmful deposits on
brake master cylinder
piston assembly
Brake fluid before and
after service
AI-63
One of our skilled technicians will check the condition of your vehicle’s brake fluid and,
if necessary, remove contaminated fluid from the brake lines and master cylinder,
replace the old fluid with appropriate brake fluid. The entire brake system will be
inspected for leaks, master cylinder corrosion, worn pneumatic parts, harmful varnish
build-up, broken or rusted bleeder valves, worn rotors and drums, and air in the brake
lines.
Operation Description:
Brake fluid exchange service
Advantage:
Worn-out, oxidized brake fluid causes corrosion and harmful deposits and varnish build
up. A brake flush service should be performed when your brake fluid shows
contamination or every 30,000 to 40,000 miles.
Over time, the gasket that seals the valve cover to the head assembly wears and
eventually fails. Typically this allows oil to leak from the valve cover, but sometimes the
leak occurs in the spark plug wells. If the dipstick is reading low and there's no sign of
oil smoke, you may have an oil leak. One common place for oil leaks is from where the
valve cover meets the cylinder head.
Significance:
Removing a valve cover
to replace gasket
New valve cover gasket
AI-105
Remove valve cover bolts and valve cover. Clean out excess oil. Clean all mating
surfaces. Replace valve cover gasket and inspect interior O rings. Inspect all surfaces for
cracks and deterioration.
Operation Description:
Valve cover gasket replacement
Advantage:
Intake and exhaust valves open and close rapidly while the engine is running. This
extreme mechanical activity requires oil for lubrication. All this happens under the valve
cover. The valve cover gasket seals the oil between the engine and the valve cover. After
time and many miles, the valve cover gasket can dry out and crack. When this happens,
all the oil flying around inside the valve cover will escape, leaving you with an ugly oil
leak.
BMW Gallery of Norwood
647573 6
Many BMW engines have a mechanism that allows for variable advancing of the
camshaft timing. This component has an oil feed line (hose) that will begin to leak with
age. It is not uncommon for this hose to weep oil and leak it on top of the engine.
Significance:
A leaking vanos hose
A new vanos hose
AI-213
Replacing a vanos hose is a complex operation and requires several specialized tools. It
requires removal of the engine's intake manifold to gain access. We replace the hose and
the aluminum sealing rings and reinstall the intake manifold and related components.
Operation Description:
Replace Vanos hose
Advantage:
Replacing any pressure hose prior to complete failure saves you at the very least from an
oily engine and garage floor. A hose failure can leave you stranded, possibly with a
complete engine failure due to oil loss.
Our technicians recommend the following services for your vehicle.
Recommended Services
Original Customer Requests Status Cost Declined Approved
A. TOP OFF WASHER FLUID PER CUSTOMER
REQUEST $0.00 X
B. 0063220100 B63 06 11, E46 sedan tail light ground $0.00 X
C. PERFORM A WORLD CLASS MULTIPOINT
INSPECTION. $0.00 X
D. THIS RESERVATION CREATED BY MATT 595 $0.00 X
E. Oil and Filter Change (Unscheduled/Customer Requested)
(OEM) $143.53 X
F. CUST STATES WASHER FLUD LEAK POSSIBLE $0.00 X
Subtotal $143.53 $143.53
Inspection & Additional Recommendations Insp Status Cost Declined Approved
Reseal oil filter housing (Found engine oil leak) x Fail $574.02
Replace all drive drive belts (Found all drive belts
cracked) x Fail $232.83 See AI-11
Mount and balance 1 new tire (right front) (Found
bubble in sidewall) x Fail $547.00 See AI-23
Replace valve cover gasket (Found engine oil leak) x Fail $543.91 See AI-105
BMW Gallery of Norwood
647573 7
Inspection & Additional Recommendations Insp Status Cost Declined Approved
Replace vanos hose (Found engine oil leak) x Fail $293.74 See AI-213
INSTALL FACTORY TAIL LAMPS Fail $744.08
Subtotal $2,935.58
Replace power steering hose (pump to rack) (Found
power steering fluid seep) x Caution $485.91
Replace both front outer CV joint boots (Found right
inner CV boot leaking) x Caution $618.98 See AI-21
Replace both front inner CV joint boots (Found right
inner CV boot leaking) x Caution $618.98 See AI-21
Perform brake system fluid service (Found brake fluid
to be dirty/contaminated) x Caution $149.00 See AI-63
Subtotal $1,872.87
Totals, Taxes and Fees Cost Declined Approved
Estimate Subtotal $4,951.98 $0.00 $143.53
Environ. Charges $25.00 $7.80
Tax $104.35 $4.10
Estimate Total $5,081.33 $155.42
For "See AI-" items see the "Additional Information" section
BMW Gallery of Norwood

2004 Sapphire Black Metallic 330xi
6MT Cold Weather Premium Sport Package
mjcoflesky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
how many miles does the car have on it? Most of that stuff is wear and time... You have a 6+ year old German car... all of that stuff will go eventually and probably needs to be done sooner than later... Of course, you'd have to be nuts to have it done at the dealership...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
I agree with Steve here....most of this you can DIY saving lots of money....
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL Interior Door Panels l OEM CSL Bootlid l CSL Center Console | Nav s/w v32 | LCM s/w 4.5 One-Touch Triple Blink | OEM Black Interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Bar/SSK/Cross-Drilled Rotors l Gruppe M CAI l BMW iPod/Sirius Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l One piece 1x1 cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
iceberq

My Ride: 02 LSB M3
Take this estimate to an independent shop such as BPG, Boston Motor Werks, etc and see if they can cut you a deal.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
daewon774

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I agree, go to the DIY section for most of the work. Recently, there were some things I needed to get done to my car that I couldn't DIY. I went to Turner Motorsports. They have loaner cars for the day if you need one as well. Highly recommended.
Bilstein shocks/struts + H&R springs
Style 71s
Soon to be installed Bimmerbrakes headers + LC1...

daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
holy sh*T bro. Seeing things like this makes me so glad that I DIY everything on both of my E46's and I should print this out and show it to my wife.

Here's a few ballpark savings for you based on the price to DIY:

Oil Filter Housing Gasket replacement: Gasket costs $6-12 at the DEALER, cheaper on line, and that's your cost. The $500+ is all for labor, and this isn't an incredibly difficult job.

Valve Cover Gasket change: Gasket with all grommets costs about $60 online, OEM BMW parts, and that's it, so the $500+ is for labor, but again, this isn't a particularly difficult job, just time consuming.

Replace one tire, ONE TIRE and they want to charge you that? #1 I though the dealer NEVER EVER EVER Recommended replacing one tire, at a minimum two, and I honestly though that all dealers would tell you to replace all 4 of them, even if one was bad, based on the tread depth. WTF??

Replace taillights with factory tail lamps? HAHAAH, WTF is that, and I am sure they would charge you $500+ for a nice set of OE orange tails.

If you do not want to have to go out and purchase new (rebuilt) half-shafts, which are around $400 a pop, and you have FOUR OF THEM, then you should get the boots replaced at a reputable indy shop as mentioned above. Then again, you could easily go buy 4 new ones, install them yourself, and you're still saving $3800 over the price of what they said!!

this is just nuts. NUTS> What an azz raping they gave you. At least you declined, thank god!

Love how they call it a "world class inspection" now too, what is that, a marketing term used to reel in rich people to unload their wallets for simple, mundane procedures?

Sorry, this is all the DIY mechanic in me speaking out. If I had to rely on prices like this to fix my E46, I surely would not own one, or two even.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
CarterRuss

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Yea what he said ^. I did the VCG and belts for under $100 very easy job took 4 hours or so.

CarterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
MR27122

My Ride: '04 325xi
Norwood & World Class. Ha. Their Body Shop "repaired" my wife's X5 after it was hit on front pax door. Upon p/u...2 miles out & a few bumps, the right-hand mirror & housing fell completely off. Returned car & got it back 5 days later. Airbag light kept coming on. Took it to Herb Chambers...Norwood "forgot" to install the pax side door airbag. Went back to Norwood & got the car back 4 days later. World Class? Maybe they ought to @ least have a mouse in the shop perform 2 mins of quality assurance on all work. Norwood is a joke. I think they are now part of Herb Chambers? Whatever.
MR27122 is offline   Reply With Quote