E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Sears screws American invented/made product?

Disclaimer: I'm personally boycotting Sears for something that happened to me (on a customer service level; the only "money" I was out was having to take off work for 4 days)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/popula...21.html?page=2

Popular Wrench Fights a Chinese Rival

In 2009, LoggerHead hit pay dirt when Sears agreed to do a test sale. The product sold out, Mr. Brown said, and Sears ordered 75,000 Bionic Wrenches the next year. In exchange Mr. Brown agreed not to sell the wrench to Sears’s competitors, including Home Depot and Lowe’s.

In 2011, sales at Sears increased again, far outpacing LoggerHead’s other outlets like the QVC shopping channel and smaller hardware stores. But LoggerHead’s profit margin remained small, in part because it produced a television commercial and paid Sears to show it.

The Sears Holdings Company, which owns the Craftsman brand, declined multiple requests to comment on the Bionic Wrench or the Max Axess Wrench. The company would not answer questions about patent infringement or the volume of sales.

But in a string of e-mails provided by Mr. Brown, the buyer at Sears who had the LoggerHead account wrote, making liberal use of exclamation points, that the wrench’s holiday sales last year exceeded its target by 23 percent.

In the manufacturing world, lead time can determine price, and from the beginning cost was a particular issue for the Bionic Wrench, because of the competition from China. A 2006 article in The Wall Street Journal was headlined, “Wrench Wins Awards, but Is It Priced Too High to Be a Hit?”

According to Mr. Brown’s account of his dealings with Sears, the chain was pleased with the tool’s performance and agreed to place an order for 2012 in plenty of time to keep the cost low. Then his buyer at Sears changed and that agreement seemed to get lost in a new round of haggling. When the order for Father’s Day finally came, Mr. Brown said, it was too late to guarantee the lower price. He refused the order.

Sears responded by agreeing to the higher price. But when it came time for the Christmas holiday order, negotiations stalled once more, again pushing LoggerHead past the deadline to get the best price, according to Mr. Brown.

“We were sitting there going, ‘Why do they want Father’s Day so bad but they won’t commit for Christmas?’ ” Mr. Brown said. Now he believes that the company had already placed its order for the Craftsman version.

In late September, Mr. Brown said, his suspicions were confirmed. LoggerHead got a “customer feedback” e-mail from Mr. Craig, the tool connoisseur, describing the new Max Axess wrenches. “Sadly, they are made in China,” Mr. Craig wrote. “Can you tell me if LoggerHead has authorized these?”

Craftsman has come under fire before, accused of misleading customers into thinking that its tools are made in America and for stealing intellectual property. In one case, Sears spent two decades defending itself against a claim by Peter M. Roberts, who as a young Sears employee had, on his own time, invented a type of socket wrench.

Mr. Roberts told the court that Sears had played down the value of his invention, paid him $10,000 for the rights, and then made tens of millions of dollars. He eventually received settlements of less than $10 million, according to news reports.

In another, more recent case led by Lee Grossman, Mr. Brown’s lawyer, a judge awarded $25 million to the maker of a tool called the Rotozip who said he had disclosed trade secrets to Sears in an attempt to get the store to carry a new version of the tool.

Sears, a jury decided, took the trade secrets and had the tool made abroad for Craftsman.

“You have LoggerHead out, Dan Brown out, and dozens of American workers laid off — all in the name of profits for Sears,” Mr. Grossman said.

LoggerHead’s lawsuit, Mr. Brown said, will most likely include claims that Sears interfered with the company’s ability to do business with other stores.

“I’m in favor of free trade,” Mr. Brown said. “The person who’s out-innovated loses. But it’s destructive when someone competes but doesn’t out-innovate, they just produce it in a different market without regard to safety codes and human conditions.”

The company that makes the Max Axess wrench and other tools for Craftsman, the Apex Tool Group, is being acquired by Bain Capital, the company founded by Mitt Romney, in a $1.6 billion deal.

Throughout the presidential campaign, Bain was criticized on the grounds that it encouraged outsourcing by companies it buys at the expense of American workers. Apex makes many of its tools overseas. A company spokesman referred all questions to Sears.

Mr. Brown and his lawyer say they believe they have a solid case against Sears, but it could take years to litigate. “What happens to us in the meantime?” Mr. Brown asked.

Mr. Brown is also concerned that while he fights in court, Sears can undercut the price of his wrench.

For now at least, Sears still has some of Mr. Brown’s wrenches in its inventory. On the Sears Web site, the Craftsman and the LoggerHead wrenches are listed at the same regular price, $24.99 for the 8-inch version, and today both are on sale. But for at least a few days in recent weeks, only the Craftsman version was on sale, for $19.99.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Wow... dick move by sears

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Yeah I read this earlier and it did not sit well with me. I thought the part at the end about Romney and Bain capital was out of scope a bit and was stuck in there simply to be inflammatory, but I digress.

I'm not surprised sears did this though to be honest. This is a great product; I almost bought one this summer, in sears no less. I think I'm going to order one from loggerhead just to support them in this. I didn't buy one at sears because I thought it was kinda expensive, but it definitely is a great tool and this pushes me over the line on making the decision to purchase.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Yeah I read this earlier and it did not sit well with me. I thought the part at the end about Romney and Bain capital was out of scope a bit and was stuck in there simply to be inflammatory, but I digress.
+1

that was the point when I stopped taking the article seriously
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
I think the only thing I bought from Sears (actually my parents when I was little) was a vacuum cleaner. It was one of those really really old ones with the thing you drag around on the floor by a hose. I just don't even think about going to Sears to get any sort of tools or appliances, I automatically think Home Depot or Lowes.
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
*shock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
e30?

My Ride: 04 325ci
My father-in-law gave me one of those wrenches for x-mas last year. Gimmick tools are such a joke. That thing has no place in a real tool box.
e30? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Sears bad. Ban Sears

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
i went into sears the other day to get a few parts for my lawnmower, and the place was a ghost town. i wouldn't be surprised if the place closes its doors for good in the next few years anyways.

^ DD.
roastbeef is online now   Reply With Quote