E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
EzOwn

My Ride: M3 e46
E46 problem!! I need help!!!!

Hello everyone.. No idea if i posted at the right place... Im new to this forum.
So here goes my problem.
01 m3 e46...
The car just turns off while im driving... No more lights in the dash nothing untill i plug a booster to it then it turns on...
Its like no more juice at all...
Now the thing is... It only happens while im driving it does not turn off while idling... And noticed that it happens when i take a turn.
I unplugged the battery while the car was on and it stayed on... Also, when the car is on the light on the convertible button blinks and does not open the top but when the booster is plugged it does open np...
Do this car use the battery while driving or isnt supposed to be only the alternator.. Put a multimeter on it while its on and the readings is around 13.7v... The battery died though and i think it wont recharge since i tried with an external charger... If this weird ass thing happened to anyone plz let me know what was it!
EzOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
The car runs on the alt, but for some reason, I think you might just have loose battery cables...or maybe a loose connection from alt to battery...which might also be failing, seemingly.

Check all the connections you can find...pull up on bat cable, check the bst, check grounds for tight and clean too.

Your symptoms are a little weird, but it doesn't sound freaky weird. Hope it isn't!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
mbnz230

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
maybe alternator check with onboard computer to monitor voltage with engine on and off. other thought might be crankshaft position sensor.
mbnz230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
EzOwn

My Ride: M3 e46
Cool

Yeah well imma be looking for all the connections... Hopefully i find something, wouldnt the crank sensor atleast keep my dash on? Because everysingle light in the car goes off!

Thank you for helping guys
EzOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Definitely check the positive battery wiring. Start with the battery cable, then check both contact points at the positive terminal in the engine bay (1 from battery, 1 across the top of the engine to the alternator), then the cable on the back of the alternator.
Also check the engine ground strap on the right motor mount bracket.

If that checks out, you may need an ignition switch (common issue) or a main relay (not so common).

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge

Last edited by cyberkaa; 06-22-2012 at 06:10 PM.
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
I had a loose ground on my old e36 m3 at the battery. To be quite frank, i was working on it earlier and my dad took it for a drive. I got a call 20 mins later telling me it died in the middle of the road lol. Tightened it up and he was good to go. It could be as simple as that.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
J
I just had this problem, it shut off mid turn the on again.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
Never disconnect the battery while the engine is running!!! You'll cause a whole bunch of new problems.

Last edited by klax; 11-08-2012 at 07:46 PM.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

Just checked all my connection and its all good. Any idea?

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
Do you have a dmm (digital multimeter)? Test the voltage drop on the car. In your engine bay there is a positive and negative jumper posts on the passenger side of the engine bay. With a dmm, set to check dc (direct current) voltage, Red probe on positive and black probe on negative. Have a friend jump in the car, turn on all the lights, turn on the audio and a/c to full blast. While you look for voltage fluctuation. If everything checks out, like cyberkaa said, it might be the ignition switch.

Last edited by sunnyjay; 11-08-2012 at 11:07 PM.
sunnyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Barneyhyphen

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
How old is your battery? Is it topped up? Centrifugal force is causing something to move/come lose? My money's on a new battery.

BH
Barneyhyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

my battery was replace last lear, battery tender charge if i dont use it for a day.
130 miles today and it ran perfect

02 M3 SMG Vert

Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
Shmi

My Ride: E46 M3
Hey OP, or AzCamel, did you ever figure this out?

I had the same symptom today, I was driving tonight and my ignition cycled off then back on immediately. I can't reproduce it yet but am thinking ignition switch? Battery is less than a year old, but the alt I believe is original (9 years/86,000 miles old).

Last edited by Shmi; 08-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Shmi is offline   Reply With Quote