E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
mkodama

Unhappy Hood Won't Open!!!

Pulled the plastic hood release in the footwell to open the hood and nothing happened. Does anyone know how to manual open the hood or how to access the cable and release mechanism?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
have someone pull up on the hood as you pull the lever

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
WireHarp

My Ride: 06 330ci
Your car is afraid to let you under the hood. It thinks you might get rid of the coolant reservoir, the washer fluid holder, the air cleaner, the fans, etc.
WireHarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
spivey3

My Ride: Jet Black 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WireHarp View Post
Your car is afraid to let you under the hood. It thinks you might get rid of the coolant reservoir, the washer fluid holder, the air cleaner, the fans, etc.
spivey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Pulled the plastic hood release in the footwell to open the hood and nothing happened. Does anyone know how to manual open the hood or how to access the cable and release mechanism?
Does that plastic hood release lever move around freely (i.e. it's loose, not screwed in all the way), or do you feel like it's pulling on something, but the hood just won't open?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
texas979

My Ride: E46
It happened to me before- Dang, have some1 to help you because it is a bi**h
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
jss8422

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
..............BURRRRN.

Only kidding. This may seem trivial and condescending to ask, but you are releasing the grill-lever correct? Best of luck. Can I ask(excitedly), what are you doing under the hood?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
J4K2onE46

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 ZCP
Send a message via AIM to J4K2onE46
If the lever feels loose when you pull it, the cable wire from the lever to the latch may have disconnected somehow. I ran into this problem when I swapped my hood awhile back.

I just took off the kidney grills, loosened the latch and forcefully wiggled the hood from side to side. Eventually, the hood popped right open. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
mkodama

Quote:
Ahahaha, yeah, maybe it doesn't like the forceful diet I'm putting it on. I'm trying to make my car anorexic, and it just closes it's mouth...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cable pulled out because the lever feels like it isn't attached to anything. I also have a feeling that this might be related to the damage the previous owner induced on my car.

How do you remove he kidney grills?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Quote:
How do you remove he kidney grills?
hood needs to be up to remove them. there are tabs all around the back.

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 AM   #11
termignoni

My Ride: 2001 330CIC
Here's your fix.

Photo 1.

Remove kidney grills. It may cost a new set ($50) but it beats taking it to the shop and spending the money.

Photo 2.3.4.

Take an allen wrench and release the hood pins that hood down the hood, this is covered by a rubber flap below. This might take a while since you'll have limited space. The hoods pins have to be taken completely out to release the hood.

Photo 5. and 6.

Here's probably where your problem is. This is the connector cable adapter from the interior latch to the hood is probably unclipped. You'll have to add a couple of small nuts and washer to create tension (if cable is stretched) and then zip ty the connecting adapter to elimnate the part to unclip again. Remember to install the hood pins to the original position. You see the original marks.

You can now relax that you got it back open. I did.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood fix.jpg
Views:	8108
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	236601  
Old 07-26-2007, 01:11 AM   #12
mkodama

Thank you so much!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #13
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
wish i saw this thread earlier today haha. i was trying to align my hood today and had the same problem, took me literally all day to get it to open. as many mentioned what to do above, i ended up popping out my kidney grills. then loosen the latches and it popped open.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 AM   #14
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci

lesson learned, don't ever force your hood to close if it doesn't want to in the first place.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #15
mkodama

Seems really easy to break the kidney grills and at $32 a piece, they ain't cheap. I kinda want to wait 'til my mechanic is back in town but at the same time I want to fix it ASAP. What sucks right now is that I NEED to open the hood because my turn indicator bulb came loose.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #16
mkodama

Great news, while driving home today, the hood popped open. Luckily I wasn't driving very fast and luckily the second stage latch did it's job.

Alright, is there an easy way to access the latches? It looks like you have to remove a cross-member to get to them. Because the problem is with the latches. One or both of them aren't very well connected to the cable.

Last edited by mkodama; 07-26-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
mkodama

Just for future reference if anyone needs to fix this.

1. Take apart the trunk release latch in the driver. Grab the exposed cable with some pliers and pull.
2. You should be able to open the hood like normal now.
3. Using some torx bits, remove the latches and apply a liberal amount of grease. This is the cause of the problem.
4. On the driver's side of the engine bay, right above the front wheel you will see the hood release cable go in and out of a plastic housing. This housing has just a small clip holding it closed and will unclip with a light pull. This is where the cable housing often slips around. Modify this by either slipping on a few nuts, or strap in place with a zip tie, or put a bicycle cable housing cap on the end of the cable housing (the best way).

Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
BimmerDoc

My Ride: E46 AWD, ///M Coupe
Send a message via AIM to BimmerDoc
Quote:
Just for future reference if anyone needs to fix this.

1. Take apart the trunk release latch in the driver. Grab the exposed cable with some pliers and pull.
2. You should be able to open the hood like normal now.
3. Using some torx bits, remove the latches and apply a liberal amount of grease. This is the cause of the problem.
4. On the driver's side of the engine bay, right above the front wheel you will see the hood release cable go in and out of a plastic housing. This housing has just a small clip holding it closed and will unclip with a light pull. This is where the cable housing often slips around. Modify this by either slipping on a few nuts, or strap in place with a zip tie, or put a bicycle cable housing cap on the end of the cable housing (the best way).
I'm confused. My hood is depressed past the normal resting place... After mechanic looked at it. I pull the handle and there is no release. It is not loose so there is tensio n. just hood won't open.
What size torx? I have the kidneys out
BimmerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
tlow98

My Ride: Saab
Much thanks to this thread and termignoni. My issue was indeed in photo #6. When you pop that piece open the mechanism is only meant to slot in one orientation. Mine was turned 90 degrees with respect to the way the engine cooling fans spin, if that makes sense.

Turned it back, closed it up, and no more hood issues! Works much better than it ever has.

I suspect someone had been in there some time and re-assembled incorrectly.

Thank you much!
tlow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi