E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #301
forced240

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I could have a my dream bike for the price of that thing.
No doubt, I didn't pay that insane price. I actually got the setup from a pro rider when he crossed wheels and caused us both to crash in the final corner of a race this last summer.
forced240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #302
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by forced240 View Post
I use this on my race bike and a cheap Polar HRM to track cadence/ HR for training rides.

But I'm a long way from gadgets of that magnitude making sense for me to buy or own, lol.

Thanks for posting though. That's

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #303
Xcelratr

Article from Outside magazine a few months ago about bike theivery: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

Yes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #304
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Article from Outside magazine a few months ago about bike theivery: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all
Cliff Notes: reporter tries GPS and tech. Doesn't work. Just accept your bike will be stolen if you commute with it.

The good thing is, it killed any urge I have to buy a bike lock. One less thing to worry about. I just won't let it out of my sight and no more plans to buy groceries or whatever with it. Purely exercise/entertainment and put away immediately after the ride. Maybe if I get a road bike and get crazy enough to bike to work (roughly 25 miles) would I ever consider commuting on it, but even then, I'd just bring it into my office.

Last edited by guest1008; 11-07-2012 at 12:34 PM.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #305
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Cliff Notes: reporter tries GPS and tech. Doesn't work. Just accept your bike will be stolen if you commute with it.

The good thing is, it killed any urge I have to buy a bike lock. One less thing to worry about. I just won't let it out of my sight and no more plans to buy groceries or whatever with it. Purely exercise/entertainment and put away immediately after the ride. Maybe if I get a road bike and get crazy enough to bike to work (roughly 25 miles) would I ever consider commuting on it, but even then, I'd just bring it into my office.
Yeah, its a concern. Additionally, since a lot of bikes (including my mtb) have quick releases on the seat post, even if the thief doesnt steal the whole bike, he can get your seat post/saddle with a flick of the wrist. Wouldnt that ride home be fun? Sucks.

Yes
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #306
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Yeah, its a concern. Additionally, since a lot of bikes (including my mtb) have quick releases on the seat post, even if the thief doesnt steal the whole bike, he can get your seat post/saddle with a flick of the wrist. Wouldnt that ride home be fun? Sucks.
Weld seat to frame. Problem solved
Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #307
Xcelratr

Welder melted the carbon fiber.

Yes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #308
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Epoxy seat to frame. Problem solved
Fixed
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #309
Xcelratr

Watched a PBS show on NASA's Mars Curiosity. One of the NASA engineers mentioned they wanted to make the suspension arms out of bent titanium tubing and realized that Litespeed already had a lot of experience in such work. So they called them up and Litespeed helped them with the design and manufacture.

How friggin cool would that phone call be? You open the office in the morning, thinking it's another day of building bikes (which would already be pretty cool), the phone rings, and it's NASA: "hi, you're so good at what you do, we'd like you to help us build a rover that's going to another planet, interested?".

http://www.litespeed.com/inner-rover...=hp_mars-rover

Yes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #310
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
looking at getting a "city/urban" bike. considering the following models, was curious if anyone has other suggestions. accommodates my needs, 95% casual weekend riding, not too long distance.

http://flyingpigeonla.myshopify.com/...bin-daytripper

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5837/#overview

http://twowheelsoneplanet.com/produc...d-179878-1.htm

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #311
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
looking at getting a "city/urban" bike. considering the following models, was curious if anyone has other suggestions. accommodates my needs, 95% casual weekend riding, not too long distance.

http://flyingpigeonla.myshopify.com/...bin-daytripper

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5837/#overview

http://twowheelsoneplanet.com/produc...d-179878-1.htm
I can't comment on the component sets. But if you live in a part of LA that has hills at all, I think you'll find the 7 speed friendlier than the others.

Are these bikes such that you can test ride them before buying?

Yes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #312
taxi_driver

yeah i'm driving down on Saturday to a shop in costa mesa. i've looked at what makes they carry, doing some prelim research before I walk in

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #313
guest1008
Banned User

You getting those for the style, right? Cuz otherwise, it seems a traditional hybrid like the Trek 7.3 or Cannondale Quick would work better.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #314
taxi_driver

yep, in terms of hybrid, my use is more on the road side than mountain. i'll look into those models too, thanks!

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled

Last edited by taxi_driver; 12-11-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #315
Xcelratr

Quote:
yeah i'm driving down on Saturday to a shop in costa mesa. i've looked at what makes they carry, doing some prelim research before I walk in
If you're still in Hollywood, you're going to drive past a lot of bike shops to get to one in Costa Mesa. Is there a brand only available there that you're interested in, or do you have some other connection to that shop?

A few other possibles:
Specialized Crossroads, $420, aluminum frame, 21 speeds. Does not come with fenders/racks, but frame has mounts for them, so they're easily added.

Cannondale Quick 6, $510, similar in and features to the Crossroads.

Trek Allant 7, $550, similar to Quick 6 and Crossroads, but comes with fenders.

You'd mentioned previously that you may want to do a little off road riding. If that's still the case and you like the Giant, you may be better served by a Sedona DX instead of the Via. The Sedona would be more capable/comfortable off pavement.

If one of the three you already posted has the features and style you want, I'd say your decision will likely be made by test riding all 3.

One thing I'll suggest, especially if you haven't ridden a bike in a while, is to test ride each of them more than once. If you haven't ridden in a long time, you may feel a little uncomfortable at first, but it will pass fairly quickly. If you ride each of them for 15 minutes, the 2nd and 3rd rides may feel a lot better to you, but it's not because of the bike, it's because YOU get more comfy and relaxed. So go back and ride the first one again.

I'd been riding an mtb on- and off-road pretty regularly for about a year when I went shopping for road bikes. The roadie riding position (kinda leading-with-the-face) was different enough that when I first got on them, I was pretty uncomfortable. I was very glad I went back and re-rode the first model I test rode because it felt a LOT better the 2nd time.

Yes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #316
taxi_driver

my uncle's buying this for me as a bday/xmas gift, and he's bought from this specific shop (he's local) before so he has a relationship with them. i'm thinking its a good time to buy around the holidays for closeout or last year models. i'd rather not get picky on where to buy since he's being nice and generous enough to get me a bike. he asked if I wanted an ipad and I came back with this lol.

of the model you've listed, I like the Allant most. good balance of features and physical appeal. from there i'd be torn between the 7 or 21 spd, as the higher end comes with more features stock that i'd add on.

in terms of off-road capability, I wouldn't imagine myself doing anything more drastic than dirt trails at griffith or similar. just an afterthought should I choose to do so. i'd reserve 5-7% of riding in this category.

i'm planning on taking my time, picking out 4-5 models to ride at the store and choosing from there. knowing my posture and comfortable seating position, i definitely want to be in the most upright position possible without adding strain to my lower back by learning forward. i'm really excited to get back on a bike, it's been years.

Quote:
If you're still in Hollywood, you're going to drive past a lot of bike shops to get to one in Costa Mesa. Is there a brand only available there that you're interested in, or do you have some other connection to that shop?

A few other possibles:
Specialized Crossroads, $420, aluminum frame, 21 speeds. Does not come with fenders/racks, but frame has mounts for them, so they're easily added.

Cannondale Quick 6, $510, similar in and features to the Crossroads.

Trek Allant 7, $550, similar to Quick 6 and Crossroads, but comes with fenders.

You'd mentioned previously that you may want to do a little off road riding. If that's still the case and you like the Giant, you may be better served by a Sedona DX instead of the Via. The Sedona would be more capable/comfortable off pavement.

If one of the three you already posted has the features and style you want, I'd say your decision will likely be made by test riding all 3.

One thing I'll suggest, especially if you haven't ridden a bike in a while, is to test ride each of them more than once. If you haven't ridden in a long time, you may feel a little uncomfortable at first, but it will pass fairly quickly. If you ride each of them for 15 minutes, the 2nd and 3rd rides may feel a lot better to you, but it's not because of the bike, it's because YOU get more comfy and relaxed. So go back and ride the first one again.

I'd been riding an mtb on- and off-road pretty regularly for about a year when I went shopping for road bikes. The roadie riding position (kinda leading-with-the-face) was different enough that when I first got on them, I was pretty uncomfortable. I was very glad I went back and re-rode the first model I test rode because it felt a LOT better the 2nd time.

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #317
guest1008
Banned User

I agree with the suggestion of riding it more than once. Bike stores are used to it. I'd test ride them, the retest the ones you like. Narrow it down that way.

I got my first "real" bike (as in, not from Target) not too long ago. I had no idea what I wanted, cuz I previously bought these crappy mountain bikes from Target and Walmart. I ended up using this ancient Marin mountain bike without any suspension (found in my inlaw's storage) during school over the crappy bikes I did buy.

There's a pretty noticeable difference as you go up in quality. If your uncle is nice enough to be paying, definitely ride around as many brands and even levels as you can.

I went from assuming I was gonna get a hardtail mountain bike with front suspension to a hybrid with no suspension. Even when I narrowed it to two brands (Trek and Cannondale), I had to decide which level of a certain line I wanted (ie Trek 7.5 vs 7.4 vs. 7.3 vs Cannondale Quick 5 vs 4, etc). I ended up with a Quick 4 but it was a real eye opening experience to see how huge a difference all these styles and even brands are. I went in thinking I wanted a Specialized Sirrus cuz growing up, Specialized were the cool bikes kids had and Sirrus had a cool name/look. Turns out, I hated that bike even tho it's supposed to be the same bike as the Trek 7 series or Cannondale Quick series. Definitely need to ride as many as you can.

Your expected off road use is about the same as mine. For that, you don't need a front suspension. At that price, they're all crap anyways and it adds a ton of weight and makes the bike feel a lot slower.

Last edited by guest1008; 12-11-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #318
Xcelratr

Quote:
my uncle's buying this for me as a bday/xmas gift, and he's bought from this specific shop (he's local) before so he has a relationship with them. i'm thinking its a good time to buy around the holidays for closeout or last year models. i'd rather not get picky on where to buy since he's being nice and generous enough to get me a bike. he asked if I wanted an ipad and I came back with this lol.

of the model you've listed, I like the Allant most. good balance of features and physical appeal. from there i'd be torn between the 7 or 21 spd, as the higher end comes with more features stock that i'd add on.

in terms of off-road capability, I wouldn't imagine myself doing anything more drastic than dirt trails at griffith or similar. just an afterthought should I choose to do so. i'd reserve 5-7% of riding in this category.

i'm planning on taking my time, picking out 4-5 models to ride at the store and choosing from there. knowing my posture and comfortable seating position, i definitely want to be in the most upright position possible without adding strain to my lower back by learning forward. i'm really excited to get back on a bike, it's been years.
Your uncle already having an established relationship with them is a great reason to buy there.

The only downer is that when it needs work done, you'll have to decide whether to take it back down to CM or have it worked on at a shop closer to you.

Most independent bike shops only carry 2 to 4 different manufacturer's lines. So if you know the shop you're going to, go to their website in advance, find out which brands they carry and do your homework about models and the model levels before you go in.

Yes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #319
taxi_driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I agree with the suggestion of riding it more than once. Bike stores are used to it. I'd test ride them, the retest the ones you like. Narrow it down that way.

I got my first "real" bike (as in, not from Target) not too long ago. I had no idea what I wanted, cuz I previously bought these crappy mountain bikes from Target and Walmart. I ended up using this ancient Marin mountain bike without any suspension (found in my inlaw's storage) during school over the crappy bikes I did buy.

There's a pretty noticeable difference as you go up in quality. If your uncle is nice enough to be paying, definitely ride around as many brands and even levels as you can.

I went from assuming I was gonna get a hardtail mountain bike with front suspension to a hybrid with no suspension. Even when I narrowed it to two brands (Trek and Cannondale), I had to decide which level of a certain line I wanted (ie Trek 7.5 vs 7.4 vs. 7.3 vs Cannondale Quick 5 vs 4, etc). I ended up with a Quick 4 but it was a real eye opening experience to see how huge a difference all these styles and even brands are. I went in thinking I wanted a Specialized Sirrus cuz growing up, Specialized were the cool bikes kids had and Sirrus had a cool name/look. Turns out, I hated that bike even tho it's supposed to be the same bike as the Trek 7 series or Cannondale Quick series. Definitely need to ride as many as you can.

Your expected off road use is about the same as mine. For that, you don't need a front suspension. At that price, they're all crap anyways and it adds a ton of weight and makes the bike feel a lot slower.
all good tips, thanks man! when bikes were last relevant in my life, it was all about bmx - haro, gt, that sorta junk. the Trek Allant 7 seems like a good fit per the comments here

Quote:
Your uncle already having an established relationship with them is a great reason to buy there.

The only downer is that when it needs work done, you'll have to decide whether to take it back down to CM or have it worked on at a shop closer to you.

Most independent bike shops only carry 2 to 4 different manufacturer's lines. So if you know the shop you're going to, go to their website in advance, find out which brands they carry and do your homework about models and the model levels before you go in.

ya if it's a big overhaul or repair it may be worth the trip down, i'll be looking out for local shops.

http://twowheelsoneplanet.com/ they carry Giant, Trek and Electra. feeling confident i'll come out with something nice.

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #320
guest1008
Banned User

Those are 3 excellent brands. Hopefully they've got a good selection. If they do, you might be able to find something in one shot. Be prepared to spend some time there though.