E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Took out the airbox to clean it today and noticed the upper air channel hose was completely disconnected from the alternator cap. That marked my first diy fix. Not sure why there wasn't a clamp on the hose (didn't see one in the oem parts catalog).

The windshield washer fluid leak isn't coming from either of the wiper motors. I filled it up part way and didn't see those parts leaking, it just came out underneath the car again. Any ideas on what it could be?

And lastly, my left steering bellow is torn.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 11-10-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
wvBimmer3Series

My Ride: '92 318ic, '01 325xi
And the journey begins... I recently had an oil chg, front sway bar link, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, oil filter housing gasket, front/rear brakes & LED license plate bulbs a couple of weeks ago... Yesterday, had front control arms & ball joints... Went to another place this morning for the front end alignment & the dude says you really need a left inner tie rod replaced, I thought well CRAP. He was cool though & said He would go ahead and align it today so it wouldn't cut the tires & he'd do it again for free after I get the tie rod replaced, so paid just for today & came home & ordered a tie rod kit. I think I need to get that t-shirt on eBay that says "BMW - Broke My Wallet"!
wvBimmer3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
alexd1988

My Ride: 99 BMW 323I
I had the same issue when I bought my BMW 323I. Ends up it was my starter the piston was suppose to come out then go back in. Well it never went back in causing it to squeal extremely loud. Got her fixed now, but then had to replace the ABS speed sensor, that was causing a little bit of an issue for my speedometer and random stuff. Nice ride though.
alexd1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #24
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series View Post
And the journey begins... I recently had an oil chg, front sway bar link, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, oil filter housing gasket, front/rear brakes & LED license plate bulbs a couple of weeks ago... Yesterday, had front control arms & ball joints... Went to another place this morning for the front end alignment & the dude says you really need a left inner tie rod replaced, I thought well CRAP. He was cool though & said He would go ahead and align it today so it wouldn't cut the tires & he'd do it again for free after I get the tie rod replaced, so paid just for today & came home & ordered a tie rod kit. I think I need to get that t-shirt on eBay that says "BMW - Broke My Wallet"!
I like the last part. At least I don't feel left out with finding new things that need to be repaired. I believe I was living in denial (hoping it would be just the vcg) about what caused the oil leak, but just like you.....the ofhg is also part of my problem.

Edit: So today I had the left-outer cv boot replaced & one wheel that was bent was swapped-out Also, a coolant line was leaking so the gasket was replaced and coolant system flushed. 2 down.....quite a bit more to go. lol

Last edited by Zardoz33; 11-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #25
wvBimmer3Series

There's gotta be an end somewhere, right?
Good luck, hope that's it for both of us for at least a while!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Hearing stories like this makes me happy my car doesn't have too many issues, it has issues that are manageable and mostly diyable, not critical issues either. Hopefully everything goes well, but when you buy an old bimmer with high miles, expect for most of the parts to be worn and in need of replacement.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series View Post
There's gotta be an end somewhere, right?
Good luck, hope that's it for both of us for at least a while!
lol. The Valve Cover Gasket, OFHG and left steering bellow is the last of the main issues that need to be remedied. The ofhg doesn't seem too hard of a fix from the diy videos I've seen, but I'm still not 100% comfortable working on this engine yet. Then, after those are completed might as well flush all the fluids. After that's done I can finally get to performance modding (and buying 17" rims)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Hearing stories like this makes me happy my car doesn't have too many issues, it has issues that are manageable and mostly diyable, not critical issues either. Hopefully everything goes well, but when you buy an old bimmer with high miles, expect for most of the parts to be worn and in need of replacement.
It's not that I'm complaining, so I hope I don't come across that way. I like cataloging my 1st BMW experience. And I'm sure a lot of these issues would have been pointed out if I had brought the car in to get checked before I bought it (also would've meant paying even less for it) I honestly do love the car. It's just funny how I get one thing fixed and another problem pops-up. As long as no huge issues like the trans goes out on me *knocks on wood* then I'll be fine. I look at it this way: I got the car for cheap and even if I have to drop $1.5K-2k total to fix everything, that is fine with me.

Edit: I sold those 2 tires on eBay for $110 and the bent wheel to an online shop for $20 (better than nothing right?), so I'm awaiting a few exterior mods to arrive. I'll make a new thread in the XI section when I have everything installed.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 11-14-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #28
wvBimmer3Series

It will all come together sometime. We've still got my daily driver, a '92 318i convertible that I've had for over 16 yrs. & an '88 325 that we've had for over 15 yrs., both are still going strong without any major issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #29
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Congrats on you new adventure.... I feel like I'm in the same boat. For the last few weekends, I have been working on my car. Mine still needs a few things, but for the most part it is nothing too bad.. (coolant system replacement before it becomes an issue-small weep from radiator and lower temp sensor o ring)
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
Zardoz33

Figured it's time to stop being scared to work on the car and do something. Going to clean the throttle body, icv, maf and install new plugs. Can't wait to see how dirty the icv is.

Edit: So, it's 4:00 am and I found out the oil separator is also leaking. Yay! Merry Christmas. The hoses are very stiff. Might as well order that cold weather kit ECS has since I have everything taken apart right?

I actually didn't start until 11 and had some beers so I took my time pretty much taking apart the entire upper driver's side area. The throttle body was dirty in the engine side. I'm glad I completely removed it so I could clean that side properly. The icv was black on both ends. The gasket was fine, but again it was black on the inside. The upper/lower intake boots were fine on the inside, but were showing early signs of tearing on the outside so might as well replace those also.

Every plug, except for #3 had oil on the top and were soaked on the thread ends.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 12-25-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
obd2toolbox
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 7
Hi and welcome
obd2toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote