E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Modded vs exotic

Let's say you had the money, would you rather spend it on a let's say, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche or mod an ordinary car to surpass that performance of a supercar? Personally, I like to surprise.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Let's say you had the money, would you rather spend it on a let's say, a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche or mod an ordinary car to surpass that performance of a supercar? Personally, I like to surprise.
I'd take the stock car.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
458 Itialia or GTFO.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
A modded car is so much cooler. You know that the guy driving the modded car knows everything about it while the guy driving an exotic only knows how much it costs. At a car show id scope both cars but id be more interested in some obscure modded stupidly powerful car than say, an aventador

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29

Last edited by luc; 11-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Id rather have the Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Because it doesnt matter how fast it is, at the end of the day its still a honda, Acura, ford or whatever

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
An Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Ferrari F40 or a supercharged jaguar XKR any day than an more expensive modded car.

No modded car is out of the factory super car. No sense in spending in modifying some run off the mill car to that potential when you can spend the same amount and get a car that is made for the very same specific purpose(luxury/status comes as a bonus).

If I were to spend a 150 grand on car that I am going to drive, then it better be a super car and not a modified honda.

Imagine you are a millionaire and you pull up in a super expensive modified honda in a 5 star hotel for a meeting. The valet wont even the open the door for you. Its good if you want to save some money on the tips, but I'd rather not be a millionaire and be seen in a modified run off the mill car.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
An Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Ferrari F40 or a supercharged jaguar XKR any day than an more expensive modded car.

No modded car is out of the factory super car. No sense in spending in modifying some run off the mill car to that potential when you can spend the same amount and get a car that is made for the very same specific purpose(luxury/status comes as a bonus).

If I were to spend a 150 grand on car that I am going to drive, then it better be a super car and not a modified honda.

Imagine you are a millionaire and you pull up in a super expensive modified honda in a 5 star hotel for a meeting. The valet wont even the open the door for you. Its good if you want to save some money on the tips, but I'd rather not be a millionaire and be seen in a modified run off the mill car.
Duche Bag status, what cause your rich you should drive what your friends at the local country club drive. Pathetic, disgusting, and what is wrong with this place. You don't judge a man by what he drives, you judge a man by what he does. /thread Get what you like, I personally choose to build my own cars. When my sh!t breaks, I throw my sack over my shoulder and move on. No lawyers, no bullsh!t, no finger pointing, no forum wars. Just good ol wrench turning.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Porsche /thread.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
FTS. I would get something like a M3 CSL. It's rare, some people don't even know that it exists! But yeah, I would go for either a CSL or a 335Ci, and drop the money into it with like 3 turbos, 2 CAI's 6 Exhaust pipes, and nitrous for its regular fuel.
On a more serious note, I would do something like get a newer model M3, but still e46, and then mod the living **** out of it. like go to raceways against ferrari's and sheet, and annihilate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Duche Bag status, what cause your rich you should drive what your friends at the local country club drive. Pathetic, disgusting, and what is wrong with this place. You don't judge a man by what he drives, you judge a man by what he does. /thread Get what you like, I personally choose to build my own cars. When my sh!t breaks, I throw my sack over my shoulder and move on. No lawyers, no bullsh!t, no finger pointing, no forum wars. Just good ol wrench turning.
That's not douche status, that's him telling the truth. You would get laughed at in some modded cars. If you're a multi-millionaire then you aren't going to mod shitty cars anyway. You'll mod a car thats already nice. For instance, you'll take a Porsche 911 Turbo and turn it into a proper race car or something. That is high class.

I would take a stock expensive car if I had to choose, though. Mostly because they will be better for longer than a modded car. Cars that are modded to extremes don't last very long because their chassis get taken too far. Also, just because someone drives an expensive car doesn't mean they don't know anything about it. Sure, some don't, but I bet many of them know more than you do. I for one wouldn't spend that much money on something without knowing everything about it.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That's not douche status, that's him telling the truth. You would get laughed at in some modded cars. If you're a multi-millionaire then you aren't going to mod shitty cars anyway. You'll mod a car thats already nice. For instance, you'll take a Porsche 911 Turbo and turn it into a proper race car or something. That is high class.

I would take a stock expensive car if I had to choose, though. Mostly because they will be better for longer than a modded car. Cars that are modded to extremes don't last very long because their chassis get taken too far. Also, just because someone drives an expensive car doesn't mean they don't know anything about it. Sure, some don't, but I bet many of them know more than you do. I for one wouldn't spend that much money on something without knowing everything about it.
When you stop caring about who is laughing at you, get back to me. That is duche bag status. Eye of the beholder man, sh!t in your eyes could be a diamond in mine. Like the girl you hold on your arm, not everyone is going to want to fvck her. You don't think millionaires spend money on 40yr old cars? Datsuns.. etc? You speak of class? You have shown none, maybe it will come with the car you buy?

Last edited by xixixi; 11-10-2012 at 03:10 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Look at Jay Leno and his 1000+rwhp Oldsmobile.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Really? What makes you think I am a douche bag for not liking to mod a car and willing to drive/own 3 very specific cars? I dont remember just saying I will drive a ferrari, a jaguar, or aston martin. I put in very specific models there. What makes you think that I would like to drive what fellow people in a country club drive? What makes you even think I am a member or will be joining a country club?

According to you, everyone who goes to a meeting in an expensive car is a douche bag?
Infact, you made one out of yourself for judging me on what I would like to drive. Your own post is in bold there.

I proudly drive my 325 and work on my 1968 vw beetle to keep it stock, and have(had) my mazda for my daily driving needs. Have owned a stock honda, owned a modified eclipse(bought modified which got me into hating the modified cars) and driven a lot of modified and non modified motor-cycles.
I never modified the 1968 beetle, it still has everything original including the engine, the little 3 speed gear box, even the wheels. If I were in a modifying scene I'd have put some powerful engine and a mohawk on the roof, with crazy paint scheme.

Not trying to rain on your parade and pride of working on your car but What I am saying is, if you are a CEO of a big company and drive a modified honda, what kind of impression are you making on your employees? 5% of your employees might think that you are a practical person and respect you for abilities and will/passion to work on your car, the remaining 95% will not even know you are the CEO if you drive your modified honda your office parking lot.

Also, once you are at the position where you are spending 150k on a car, you will not to turn wrenches in your car(whether you like it or not). May be you have a private garage with a 1967 shelby GT that you like the most and tinker on it for fun. But no way in hell are you going to fix your own car when you are going to spend that kind of money to buy it.

Hell, even if I were to spend 50k on a new car and it breaks down I will send it to the dealership for the repairs under warranty than to tinker on it myself.
And if I can afford 150k car then I can definitely afford to send it for repairs/maintenance. In that position, my time is more valuable than trying to waste my time on modifying/fixing the car.

Even now, if I could afford to send the car for the repairs to an indy, I would rather send it than DIY to save money.
A full time student with a full time job cant afford to send the car for repairs in the dealership, but a CEO can buy the car he wants. And his time is much more important/valueable to tinker or do modifications on his car. Even he does modify his cars, he will pay someone to do it. Get the point here?

I am just against spending money on modifying the cars that came from the factory for a different purpose. Rather spend money on the car that comes out of the factory for the supercar purpose.

Just taking an example of civic as it is one of the most sold cars.
Civic is a small car made for driving in the city and get groceries. I would not turbo a civic and make it into a race car and drive it to work. It defeats its purpose of being recognized as a normal city car. Same goes with a ferrari, I would not take ferrari to get the groceries just because I have one. A modified civic will never be a ferrari and a ferrari will never be a civic. Doesnt matter even if someone puts a jet engine in the civic, it will still be a civic. Jet engines have their place and so does the 4 cyl v-tec, they should never be cross bred.

Be real and mature. Try not to attack someone personally on what he/she wants to drive. It goes against your theories in your own post where you say do not judge the person by what he drives.
If that were the case then all BMW drivers are cocks(but now taken over by audi drivers, top gear), so we all are.
/thread
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Wes

i would buy a supra and overnight some parts from japan
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
jonel1225

My Ride: 02 325ci
My friends dad owns a 458, dbs, 911, gt500, a 64 mustang, and an 84 mustang svo. He babies the two classics and destroys the super cars...it honestly is in the eye of the beholder what's more important to them

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
GT3RS. Keep your toys.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
I would get a 325 and put a 2jz in it bro

it's the 2jz

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
If I had a blank check and wanted to fill a garage, I would go mostly modified cars, but I am not talking Honda here. I would get older BMW's a 3.0 CS and modify to the hilt, old old school BMW like a 327 coupe with modern running gear drive train etc, I would love to do an M1 Pro Car look alike with contemporary running gear, suspension new M3 V8 etc... which is kind of a super car, but I think the original question was contemporary super cars...

To me a run of the mill Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo whatever is nice and all dont get me wrong but if you have the money I would prefer creating something unique as opposed to something anyone can walk into a dealership and buy.
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
A modded car is so much cooler. You know that the guy driving the modded car knows everything about it while the guy driving an exotic only knows how much it costs.
If the guy driving the modded car knew anything about engineering he'd probably understand that retrofitting a substandard chassis is rarely as good as designing a purpose built machine from the ground up.

Lets not forget that mod money is completely pissed away. A garage full of exotic collector cars is going to hold value better than a bunch of stock cars hacked apart and modified.

Last edited by sea6speed; 11-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
steve.k

My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Personally if I had the money I'd have to have both. F430, S65, and a 200SX drift pig lol.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote