E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
At least he had good taste. Anyhow, why woild he resign over infedelity?
I think he needs to be responsible for telling what he knows about this conspiracy.
Because it's about setting the example, and in his words, it's about honor. He cannot expect to lead an organization where ethos such as honor and other values are held in high regard, when he, in fact, broke that trust and had an affair.

His resignation letter to CIA employees:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...53f_story.html
Quote:

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation's Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life's greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing. I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.

Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country, and best wishes for continued success in the important endeavors that lie ahead for our country and our Agency.

With admiration and appreciation,

David H. Petraeus

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Because it's about setting the example, and in his words, it's about honor. He cannot expect to lead an organization where ethos such as honor and other values are held in high regard, when he, in fact, broke that trust and had an affair.

His resignation letter to CIA employees:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...53f_story.html
Ok
Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I've known several guys that were adjutants to generals. They said without exception every single one of them had extramarital affairs. It's a damn shame.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #24
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Disappointing, but I am wonder what is happening behind the scenes. The FBI counterintelligence unit doesn't get involved when some official is banging some piece on the side. Are they concerned about possible leaks, blackmail, etc.? Do they believe there is a national security risk? Both individuals were US citizens, and Paula Broadwell certainly doesn't appear to have hostile intentions towards the government. Why the FBI counter intel is involved is something we may never know.

Speculation about avoiding Benghazi inquisition is just that...speculation.

Overall, I think Petraeus is a great leader. His contributions to this country should not be overshadowed by this, apparent, lack of judgement.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
Laylow

My Ride: Honda
As a top spook, if he can't get away with some action on the side, maybe he shouldn't be running the CIA

Quote:
Disappointing, but I am wonder what is happening behind the scenes. The FBI counterintelligence unit doesn't get involved when some official is banging some piece on the side. Are they concerned about possible leaks, blackmail, etc.? Do they believe there is a national security risk? Both individuals were US citizens, and Paula Broadwell certainly doesn't appear to have hostile intentions towards the government. Why the FBI counter intel is involved is something we may never know.
I think she's currently under FBI investigation for acccessing top secret info via Patraeus becuase she might have had access to his email accoount.

Last edited by Laylow; 11-10-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Laylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
damn shame

and interesting timing... think he was coerced to wait until after the election?

Last edited by pancakes; 11-10-2012 at 06:12 AM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

Speculation about avoiding Benghazi inquisition is just that...speculation.

Overall, I think Petraeus is a great leader. His contributions to this country should not be overshadowed by this, apparent, lack of judgement.
Agree, it is a shame, and shocking.

FBI CI can get involved for a myriad of reasons ranging from things like espionage, to even acting on information only to reveal (hopefully in this case) an extramarital affair. Of course, having an extramarital affair, one can be subjected to blackmail and is at risk. It really depends on what they find out.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

From CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2
Quote:
According to a U.S. official, the FBI had a tip that Petraeus was involved with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, and investigated the alleged affair to determine whether it posed a security risk.

The FBI was not investigating Petraeus for wrongdoing. The concern was that he could potentially be blackmailed or put "in a vulnerable spot," the official said.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
I am not talking aboutthe affair... the resignation, the timing... Seems very coincidental.
ture....very suspcious especially when he is schedule to tesify to congress about Libya
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Sounds like another "phast and phurious"

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
Ok
You won't understand unless you have been in the military.
People in the military are held to a higher standard, and officers are suppose to be the standard bearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
ture....very suspcious especially when he is schedule to tesify to congress about Libya
It does sound suspicious. And Hillary will be gone out of town 'on business' and Obama will be in Asia (Burma). The first time a president has ever visited the nation. Makes you want to go hmmmmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Sounds like another "phast and phurious"
Could be.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 11-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
http://washingtonexaminer.com/house-...1#.UJ7bv4biuuA

Now Hilary can't testify due to a 'scheduling conflict', wow.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #32
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Hey... The guy is human isn't he?
Exactly.
It's only bad because we judge him based on American puritan standards.
Petraeus, Tiger Woods,... who said we have the right to put certain people on a pedestal?
How about when a Holywood celebrity has an extra marital affair? Nobody gives a blip.
Why?
They are all human beings.

Didn't that French prime minister (Chiraq?) had a well know mistress for ever? I heard she was more popular with the French than his wife was.
At the same time Clinton is caught with an intern and is almost impeached.
It's just a matter of (unrealistic) expectations.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #33
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Under extreme circumstances someone can be court martialed for adultery.

Article 133:

Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman (or conduct unbecoming for short) is an offense subject to court martial defined in the punitive code, Article 133, of the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), enacted at 10 U.S.C. 933.

The elements are:

That the accused did or omitted to do certain acts; and
That, in the circumstances, these acts or omissions constituted conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.[1]
Here "officer" is understood to include commissioned officers, cadets, and midshipmen of both sexes, hence the more common term conduct unbecoming. A gentleman is understood to have a duty to avoid dishonest acts, displays of indecency, lawlessness, dealing unfairly, indecorum, injustice, or acts of cruelty.[2]

Article 134:

The General Article (Article 134)

The general article (Article 134) authorizes the prosecution of offenses not specifically detailed by any other article: all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty. Clause 1 of the article involves disorders and neglect "to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces." Clause 2 involves "conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces." Clause 3 deals with non-capital offenses violating other federal law; under this clause, any such offense created by federal statute may be prosecuted under Article 134. United States v. Perkins, 47 C.M.R. 259 (Air Force Ct. of Military Review 1973).[5]

The most recent version of the Manual for Courts-Martial lists the following offenses commonly prosecuted under Article 134: Abusing public animal; adultery; assault with intent to commit murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, robbery, sodomy, arson, burglary, or housebreaking; bigamy; bribery or graft; burning with intent to defraud; check, worthless, making and uttering; by dishonorably failing to maintain funds; child endangerment; cohabitation, wrongful; correctional custody - offenses against; debt, dishonorably failing to pay; disloyal statements; disorderly conduct, drunkenness; drinking liquor with prisoner; drunk prisoner; drunkenness - incapacitation for performance of duties through prior wrongful indulgence in intoxicating liquor or any drug; false or unauthorized pass offenses; false pretenses, obtaining services under; false swearing; firearm, discharging - through negligence; firearm, discharging - willfully, under such circumstances as to endanger human life; fleeing scene of accident; fraternization; gambling with subordinate; homicide, negligent; impersonating a commissioned, warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer, or an agent or official; indecent language; jumping from vessel into the water; kidnapping; mail: taking, opening, secreting, destroying, or stealing; mails: depositing or causing to be deposited obscene matters in; misprision of serious offense; obstructing justice; wrongful interference with an adverse administrative proceeding; pandering and prostitution; parole, violation of; perjury: subornation of; public record: altering, concealing, removing, mutilating, obliterating, or destroying; quarantine: medical, breaking; reckless endangerment; restriction, breaking; seizure: destruction, removal, or disposal of property to prevent; self-injury without intent to avoid service; sentinel or lookout: offenses against or by; soliciting another to commit an offense; stolen property: knowingly receiving, buying, concealing; straggling; testify: wrongful refusal; threat or hoax designed or intended to cause panic or public fear; threat, communicating; unlawful entry; weapon: concealed, carrying; wearing unauthorized insignia, decoration, badge, ribbon, device, or lapel button.[6]

[edit]See also

Last edited by Raymond42262; 11-10-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #34
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Exactly.
Petraeus, Tiger Woods,... who said we have the right to put certain people on a pedestal?
How about when a Holywood celebrity has an extra marital affair? Nobody gives a blip.
Why?

Didn't that French prime minister (Chiraq?) had a well know mistress for ever? I heard she was more popular with the French than his wife was.
Heaven forbid we should hold someone to a solemn vow they made. If your not going to live up to your marital vows then don't get married.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #35
MDydinanM

Only thing is Petraeus is retired. He left the Army when appointed to be D/CIA.

UCMJ doesn't apply to him anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Under extreme circumstances someone can be court martialed for adultery.

Article 133:

Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman (or conduct unbecoming for short) is an offense subject to court martial defined in the punitive code, Article 133, of the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), enacted at 10 U.S.C. 933.

The elements are:

That the accused did or omitted to do certain acts; and
That, in the circumstances, these acts or omissions constituted conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.[1]
Here "officer" is understood to include commissioned officers, cadets, and midshipmen of both sexes, hence the more common term conduct unbecoming. A gentleman is understood to have a duty to avoid dishonest acts, displays of indecency, lawlessness, dealing unfairly, indecorum, injustice, or acts of cruelty.[2]

Article 134:

The General Article (Article 134)

The general article (Article 134) authorizes the prosecution of offenses not specifically detailed by any other article: all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty. Clause 1 of the article involves disorders and neglect "to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces." Clause 2 involves "conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces." Clause 3 deals with non-capital offenses violating other federal law; under this clause, any such offense created by federal statute may be prosecuted under Article 134. United States v. Perkins, 47 C.M.R. 259 (Air Force Ct. of Military Review 1973).[5]

The most recent version of the Manual for Courts-Martial lists the following offenses commonly prosecuted under Article 134: Abusing public animal; adultery; assault with intent to commit murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, robbery, sodomy, arson, burglary, or housebreaking; bigamy; bribery or graft; burning with intent to defraud; check, worthless, making and uttering; by dishonorably failing to maintain funds; child endangerment; cohabitation, wrongful; correctional custody - offenses against; debt, dishonorably failing to pay; disloyal statements; disorderly conduct, drunkenness; drinking liquor with prisoner; drunk prisoner; drunkenness - incapacitation for performance of duties through prior wrongful indulgence in intoxicating liquor or any drug; false or unauthorized pass offenses; false pretenses, obtaining services under; false swearing; firearm, discharging - through negligence; firearm, discharging - willfully, under such circumstances as to endanger human life; fleeing scene of accident; fraternization; gambling with subordinate; homicide, negligent; impersonating a commissioned, warrant, noncommissioned, or petty officer, or an agent or official; indecent language; jumping from vessel into the water; kidnapping; mail: taking, opening, secreting, destroying, or stealing; mails: depositing or causing to be deposited obscene matters in; misprision of serious offense; obstructing justice; wrongful interference with an adverse administrative proceeding; pandering and prostitution; parole, violation of; perjury: subornation of; public record: altering, concealing, removing, mutilating, obliterating, or destroying; quarantine: medical, breaking; reckless endangerment; restriction, breaking; seizure: destruction, removal, or disposal of property to prevent; self-injury without intent to avoid service; sentinel or lookout: offenses against or by; soliciting another to commit an offense; stolen property: knowingly receiving, buying, concealing; straggling; testify: wrongful refusal; threat or hoax designed or intended to cause panic or public fear; threat, communicating; unlawful entry; weapon: concealed, carrying; wearing unauthorized insignia, decoration, badge, ribbon, device, or lapel button.[6]

[edit]See also
Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Exactly.
Why?

you're suggesting that the president is held to the same standards as I would hold my next door neighbor?

pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
I've known several guys that were adjutants to generals. They said without exception every single one of them had extramarital affairs. It's a damn shame.
Same here. We have a few friends who are aide de camps and they say the same exact thing

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #38
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Heaven forbid we should hold someone to a solemn vow they made. If your not going to live up to your marital vows then don't get married.
Petraeus and Tiger made a solem vow to you?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #39
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey v View Post

you're suggesting that the president is held to the same standards as I would hold my next door neighbor?

In his personal life, yes.
Your neighbor would kick your ass if you uninvitingly judged him on what he does in his personal life.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #40
330iPilot

Not to me, to their wives. Nice dodge though.

There is no higher sacred contract of trust than between a man and his wife. If you make the solemn promise to forsake all others until death do you part, then do it. Otherwise don't get married.