E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Papa John's CEO Says Company Will Reduce Workers' Hours In Response To Obamacare

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...usaolp00000009

Quote:
The Huffington Post | By Harry Bradford
Posted: 11/09/2012 5:59 pm EST Updated: 11/10/2012 3:23 pm EST

In the wake of President Obama's reelection, one CEO is doubling down on his criticisms of Obamacare.

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter said he plans on passing the costs of health care reform to his business onto his workers. Schnatter said he will likely reduce workers' hours, as a result of President Obama's reelection, the Naples News reports. Schnatter made headlines over the summer when he told shareholders that the cost of a Papa John's pizza will increase by between 11 and 14 cents due to Obamacare.

"I got in a bunch of trouble for this," he said, referring to the comments he made in August, according to Naples News. "That's what you do, is you pass on costs. Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for this."

Schnatter went on to say he's neither in support of, nor against the Affordable Care Act, even admitting that "the good news is 100 percent of the population is going to have health insurance." But he's not the only one in the chain restaurant industry to admit that workers hours may be reduced, since Obamacare mandates that only employees that work more than 30 hours per week are covered under their employers health insurance plan. For example, Darden restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster, has already experimented with reducing workers hours in anticipation of the legislation.

Others have responded to the added costs of Obamacare more harshly, including Applebee's franchisee owner Zane Tankel who said his company won't hire new workers because of the law. Just this week, a Georgia business owner also claimed he cut employees due to Obamacare and in fact had specifically laid off those who he thought had voted for President Obama.
More Backlash because Obama won.

Last edited by phrozen06; 11-10-2012 at 05:55 PM.
phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Between 11 and 14 cents?

Oh my....I'm at a loss for words.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
I will never buy another PJ's pizza.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
MDydinanM

Wonder if PJ's owner ever considered docking some of his own pay or corporate's pay instead of sticking it to the little guy

"That's what you do, pass on the costs"

Oh well. A business is a business and it's a free market economy. He's free to run his business as he chooses. Just sucks for the lower rank and file employees.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-10-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Wonder if PJ's owner ever considered docking some of his own pay or corporate's pay instead of sticking it to the little guy

Oh well. A business is a business and it's a free market economy. He's free to run his business as he chooses. Just sucks for the lower rank and file employees.
He's gotta pay rent on this house:

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
MDydinanM

Jeebus.

Well hey, he's a successful businessman and I'm not going to criticize him for being successful. I hope there can be some way to absorb some incurred costs that will allow employees not to be affected, but this is not my area of expertise.

I just think it's unfortunate that the little guy gets stuck holding the bag since the costs are "passed on."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
He's gotta pay rent on this house:

Last edited by MDydinanM; 11-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Lair
Modded ///Member

The driveway on the right goes to his massive underground garage.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
I*do*Werke

My Ride: E46 --> E30
Jesus that house is amazing, more of an estate than a house though... There are what appears to be 2 underground entrances, one on the right and the other on the left below the round-a-bout

Edit: http://homesoftherich.net/2008/12/th...a-johns-built/

Quote:
This 40,000 square foot mega-mansion is owned by John Schnatter. Schnatter is the founder, chairman, and CEO of the Papa John's pizza chain. The castle-like mansion was designed by Don Evans, and Orlando architect. It also has a multilevel subterranean garage with 22 parking spaces, an office for valet parking, a built-in car wash and a giant motorized turntable to help move limousines. It is divided into 14 parking spaces for the family on one level and eight spaces for guests on another, with an elevator between the two floors. John had a net worth of $402.6 million back in 2006, a figure that has definitely risen over recent years.

Last edited by I*do*Werke; 11-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.
I*do*Werke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
fitzi6_7

My Ride: 323I
The guy started his company for $2500 bucks and the back of a bar. Worked his ass off and paid cash to expand his stores one after the other. He provides literally millions of dollars each year to schools and local charities. Won't begrudge him for being successful. He is merely being honest.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App
fitzi6_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzi6_7 View Post
The guy started his company for $2500 bucks and the back of a bar. Worked his ass off and paid cash to expand his stores one after the other. He provides literally millions of dollars each year to schools and local charities. Won't begrudge him for being successful. He is merely being honest.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App
Agree. I'm not going to criticize him for working hard and being successful.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
badfast

My Ride: A Car
People will need healthcare, especially after eating the **** that is in PJ's pizzas.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Agree. I'm not going to criticize him for working hard and being successful.
He shouldn't be criticized for that. He should be criticized for being an assh0le. He COULD have said "Due to new legislation, the price of our pizza will have to increase a very small bit, but look on the bright side: a bunch of our people will have health insurance!"
Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
He shouldn't be criticized for that. He should be criticized for being an assh0le. He COULD have said "Due to new legislation, the price of our pizza will have to increase a very small bit, but look on the bright side: a bunch of our people will have health insurance!"
Touché
Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
People will need healthcare, especially after eating the **** that is in PJ's pizzas.

I'll never eat another one.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Between 11 and 14 cents?

Oh my....I'm at a loss for words.
That's the problem with incrementalism. People might think paying 11-14 cents more for a pizza is no big deal. But if everybody's paying 11-14 cents more for everything they buy, it adds up.

Quote:

Look on the bright side. Since they're cutting existing hours, at least now they can hire more part time employees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
That's not it at all. He (more like his franchisees) is going to cut his employees' hours precisely so they don't qualify for health insurance.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
That's not it at all. He (more like his franchisees) is going to cut his employees' hours precisely so they don't qualify for health insurance.
Employee morale isn't important at all.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
I love this. Every dem in here is getting their panties in a twist over every business that announces this kind of thing.

Walmart
Papa John's
That local guy who you all wanted to starve in the streets.

Wait till it gets worse. Wait until many stores and chains do this. Are you never going to buy groceries? Are you never going to shop at any stores for items you need/want? What if Amazon cut warehouse hours because of this. Never shop at amazon?

I can't wait to see the reaction of the country, when the majority of businesses start doing this. It will be a hilarious ride for everyone.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Why don't you guys place the blame where it really belongs? Squarely on the shoulders of Obama. If it wasn't for Obama ramrodding through his signature piece of legislation, despite the will of the majority of Americans, all these people would still have their jobs.

Your so quick to blame the business owners but you fail to blame the truly responsible party.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
I love this. Every dem in here is getting their panties in a twist over every business that announces this kind of thing.

Walmart
Papa John's
That local guy who you all wanted to starve in the streets.

Wait till it gets worse. Wait until many stores and chains do this. Are you never going to buy groceries? Are you never going to shop at any stores for items you need/want? What if Amazon cut warehouse hours because of this. Never shop at amazon?

I can't wait to see the reaction of the country, when the majority of businesses start doing this. It will be a hilarious ride for everyone.
the only difference between this guy and other prudent business owners, is that he is talking publicly about it. I love how dems think money grows on trees...add as much tax and regulation you want on business and the 1%ers, YOU will be the one paying for it.

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
This is why I am fiscally conservative and I'll take that to my grave

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote