E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
bluejayranger

My Ride: '02 325i
Drain plug turned too tight, now loose

Gents,

Yesterday marked my 2nd DIY for the oil change on my 325i, shes an 02 with 138,xxx miles on her, clean. however,I believe I may have turned oil drain plug w/copper ring too tight, as it won't stop turning now,and it drips oil. Mechanic on auto skills center on post thinks I may have stripped threading inside oil pan. I tried to unscrew the drain plug and replace copper crush ring, but it wont pull, only to turn in place. What are my options to resolve this problem? I would like to keep her for the long run? Please share your wisdom, thank you!

-YJ-
bluejayranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayranger View Post
Gents,

Yesterday marked my 2nd DIY for the oil change on my 325i, shes an 02 with 138,xxx miles on her, clean. however,I believe I may have turned oil drain plug w/copper ring too tight, as it won't stop turning now,and it drips oil. Mechanic on auto skills center on post thinks I may have stripped threading inside oil pan. I tried to unscrew the drain plug and replace copper crush ring, but it wont pull, only to turn in place. What are my options to resolve this problem? I would like to keep her for the long run? Please share your wisdom, thank you!

-YJ-
You are in need of a new oil pan, I have one.... OR drain your oil leave the plug out for several hours. Then throw tons of sealant on your old plug, tighten until it feels right? (on you) refill with oil, check for leaks. IMO you fvcked up an oil change, never work on your car again. You will be dollars ahead to pay someone.

Last edited by xixixi; 11-10-2012 at 03:47 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Don't even waste your time with a tap and die kit as it will leak too. You new a new oil pan.

awaits: hot cams, headers, tune
AERA Performance Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
bluejayranger

Would you recommend getting a new one compared to an used one?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
No not me. I bashed my oil pan driving over a rock I couldn't avoid. They replaced it with a used oil pan and saved me $400. Mine also had a drain bolt that was way over torqued by Breakaway Honda and it always dripped oil, even with the tap and die kit.

awaits: hot cams, headers, tune
AERA Performance Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
This has been discussed numerous time.

Don't buy or even replace your oil pan. No need to drill or tap it either.

The oe oil drain plug is hollow for this main reason. Drive in an Allen wrench that will fit inside the broken drain plug and twist off the broken plug.

This fix will cost u nothing other than new motor oil and a cost of a new drain plug.

What is cheaper? A new or used oil pan or my method.

U can thank me later. I hope this helps. Good luck

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
This has been discussed numerous time.

Don't buy or even replace your oil pan. No need to drill or tap it either.

The oe oil drain plug is hollow for this main reason. Drive in an Allen wrench that will fit inside the broken drain plug and twist off the broken plug.

This fix will cost u nothing other than new motor oil and a cost of a new drain plug.

What is cheaper? A new or used oil pan or my method.

U can thank me later. I hope this helps. Good luck

How will this method fix the stripped out pan? Am I missing something here?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I guess you could weld the drain hole closed and then do oil changes with an extractor.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
How will this method fix the stripped out pan? Am I missing something here?
Yes cuz u obviously have no experience in this issue.

The reason why is oil pan is dripping is not because the thread on his pain is stripped but because he broke his oil pan nut. This is always 99.9% of the problem. Rarely do the pan thread strip because the force that is require to strip the tread will cause the bolt to break first.

The nut is hollow and when it breaks oil will drip out of it.

All he has to do is remove or completely break his oil drain nut and remove it with an Allen key.

People like u and most mechanics will always assume the worst and end up fixing the problem the hard and expensive way.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
h203e46

My Ride: 2003 325i
You could call your local dealer on Indy shop and ask if it can have a time sert installed. This will save you money.
h203e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So flash is thinking the plug is stripped. If it's the thread into oil pan, then you might try a heli-coil or time sert...or you might also find a slightly larger drainplug and tap for that.

You might also find that just wrapping with teflon tape might seal it up...or if you have enough bite, you might just try sealing with rtv, letting it cure, then filling with oil. Obviously, if trying rtv, you need things clean...and you need the right kind of rtv that has oil resistance.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
bluejayranger

Gents,

I've been checking oil level before I drive, and she's been ok So far, no significant loss. However, still trying to figure out how to use Allen wrench to pull out drain plug? Soonest I will be able to get her on a lift is Tuesday. Is it possible to be able to pull the drain plug with pliers and 17mm ratchet? Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Yes cuz u obviously have no experience in this issue.

The reason why is oil pan is dripping is not because the thread on his pain is stripped but because he broke his oil pan nut. This is always 99.9% of the problem. Rarely do the pan thread strip because the force that is require to strip the tread will cause the bolt to break first.

The nut is hollow and when it breaks oil will drip out of it.

All he has to do is remove or completely break his oil drain nut and remove it with an Allen key.

People like u and most mechanics will always assume the worst and end up fixing the problem the hard and expensive way.

I guess we will have to wait and see!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayranger View Post
Gents,

I've been checking oil level before I drive, and she's been ok So far, no significant loss. However, still trying to figure out how to use Allen wrench to pull out drain plug? Soonest I will be able to get her on a lift is Tuesday. Is it possible to be able to pull the drain plug with pliers and 17mm ratchet? Thanks!
flash was assuming you broke the plug, which, when broken, is hollow and lets you shove something like allen wrench into it to extract.

If you didn't break the plug, then you just use a regular socket to remove it.

Also, not sure how you put the plug in, but it's important to start all nuts and bolts by hand, or with just an extension so you can feel that you have the threads right and don't cross thread them.

If you did cross thread, I bet you have enough 'meat' on them still to maybe chase the threads, use new plug, and get a decent seal, though I'd still run a dab of rtv on top of the crush washer to be sure...maybe a bit on threads too.

You or a shop could drill out the threads a bit and retap for larger plug, as I said...if it comes to that.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
bluejayranger

Gotcha, plug is still intact. However, it only spins in place and doesn't have that tight "grip" upon turning.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
dmax

Well, you'll be losing your oil to fix it...so try to save it...assuming it was LL-01 oil!

I actually think that you might have enough 'bite' to get teflon tape to work, but you really need to get the plug out and see what's going on.

Could be that you did crack the bolt...you'll know when you get it out. Use vice grips on plug and turn and pull out.

A recent set

Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
If you're going to retap be sure to get a pipe thread tap. It'll say nptf on the end (exp. 1/4-20 nptf tap) and to get a matching pipe thread bolt. For a proper bolt you may need one machined (maybe $50) which will be cheaper and easier than replacing oil pan.

what makes a pipe thread special is that the threads taper and are much sharper and more accurate, which creates a seal. I'm 99% sure this is your best solution. I'm a cnc machinist and do a lot of pipe thread work. The reason a regular tap won't work us because it won't make the seal proper because they're less accurate ( + or - .005") and the straight threads don't get the sealing power of how the tapered Hole/threads and tapered bolt will.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So flash is thinking the plug is stripped. If it's the thread into oil pan, then you might try a heli-coil or time sert...or you might also find a slightly larger drainplug and tap for that.

You might also find that just wrapping with teflon tape might seal it up...or if you have enough bite, you might just try sealing with rtv, letting it cure, then filling with oil. Obviously, if trying rtv, you need things clean...and you need the right kind of rtv that has oil resistance.

HTH
I am not saying that the drain plug is stripped. I am not even going to put my money on a stripped drain plug hole in the oil pan either

Based on my experience, my money is on the oil drain bolt. It is either fractured or completely broken inside the drain hole.

Again, the plug is hollow and is DESIGN to break or fracture if the torque raiting is much higher than 18 ft/lbs. Usually the oe plug breaks at 24 ft/lbs +/- 5

The forces that is require to either stripped the actual bolt or pan is much higher than the forces that is require to fracture the bolt. Therefore, ur bolt will always break before u stripped the bolt or pan

To the op...just remove the drain plug. If it is not broken and just fracture then removing the bolt will break it off completely.

Drain out the new oil and use a Allen L shape key to remove the broken bolt. Again, the plug/bolt is hollow.

Last edited by flashmeow; 11-11-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
flashmeow
Banned User

don't get taken advantage like this bmw owner
http://www.auto-facts.org/broken-oil-drain-plug.html

one shopped quote him $400 to extract the broken bolt. another shop wanted $1700 to replace the drain pan.

plug is hollow and is design to fracture/break when is over torque. the reason why your drain plug is SPINNING FREELY is because it is broken/fracture and NOT because it or the hole is stripped.

Think outside the box and don't assume like everyone else on this thread.

you can thank me later by simply telling everyone that I am right.

I hope this helps

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

instructions:

Remove the plug. The hex head piece will come off. This will leave the hollow thread.

Use an L shape Allen key. Hammer in the Allen key into the hollow drain plug. Use the other end of the Allen key to twist and remove the broken plug.

This will take u less than 5 mins.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
xixixi
Banned User