E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
triksterut

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert
Wide Band O2 Installation Questions

Hey all,

I've got the new PLX rear view mirror all wired in for a boost gauge and the OBD2 interface - I was going to hook up the wide band today and realized it wasn't as easy as I was thinking.

I'm running AP headers with pre and post-cat bungs. The post-cat bungs have spacers/deflectors of some sort. I assume this is for cars that care about post O2's. I also assume this will mess up my wide band reading. I put my stock post O2's back in there just so I wouldn't have to zip tie them somewhere.

So - two things. First, I was thinking that I really need a wide band for each header/bank? Do people normally run these into a collector or call the data off one bank good enough? Secondly, can I just buy another wide band sensor and replace both of my pre-cat O2's with the wideband's? Then route the signal to the ECU and my gauge via a splitter of some kind?

How have you guys got these things wired in?
triksterut is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
triksterut

So the more I read about this the more I think I'm just going to replace one of my pre-cat O2's with the PLX wideband (PLX SM-AFR which uses a really standard Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor). This means I've got to run the 0-1V output from the control box to the input of the old O2 sensor - no big deal. The part that doesn't really appeal to me is the heat generated by using a 20Ohm 10W resistor on the O2 heater circuit - so you don't pull a CEL. Well, since my car has an Active kit and tune on it - I don't think it cares about this anymore Has anyone tried just not hooking the heater circuit back up?
Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
bump for I have similar questions
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
triksterut

Well - after more research I kind of answered my question. You really just need to stick the sensor on the collector or as close to Cyl 6 as you can - as that is the cyl that tends to run the most lean. Seems to be what most people do.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
m3yal8r

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
Please share your final install as I have had the PLX mirror installed for months and have been lazy/remiss in finishing install of boost and a/f.

2002 BMW M3 [/B]Titanium Silver Metallic / Black / 6 Speed

Mods:
Performance: ESS VT2 575+ FS Tuning Tech,
Agency Power Headers /Borla Header Back/Walbro 255
Suspension: Ground Control Street / School Coil-over 440/545 / AKG Motorsport Bushings all around
Wheels: Apex ARC-8's 18X9.5 18X8.5
Magic Powers: Radar-Mirror PLX Gauge set-up/
V1 radar detector / Laser Interceptor
m3yal8r is offline   Reply With Quote