E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
ATTN: Software Engineers! Help with Technical Interview!

I have a phone interview with Yahoo! coming up within the next two weeks and was wondering how I can best prepare for it? I read that there are 3 rounds you have to go through, each one consisting of several technical questions covering topics on data structures, operating systems, and programming languages. For those who have been through these interviews before (whether with Yahoo! or not), what was your experience like?
nikkeiS2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
You could start by suggestion some options for reducing the number of exploits and how often people's Yahoo accounts get hacked causing them to post in forums asking about it.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
snap! lol wish i could help, interested in responses.

Last edited by Breezy; 11-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Subd for responses
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Well, the best part about technical interviews is it's easy to tell whether you passed or not.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
the only way you can pass is if
  • you're knowledgeable
  • you're cool

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
http://www.tektalk.org/wp-content/up.../CrackCode.pdf

Thank me later
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
v8 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
lol, people read books about how to appear knowledgeable at their job and be socially comfortable with an interviewer? spare me with your fakeness

Last edited by v8 5; 11-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Tauce says

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
lol, people read books about how to appear knowledgeable at their job and be socially comfortable with an interviewer? spare me with your fakeness
You think a 200 page book is enough to fake your way through a Google interview? I assume the OP has a strong background in CS. There's nothing wrong with getting a refresher to be prepared.

Last edited by Tauce says; 11-09-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
v8 5

Quote:
You think a 200 page book is enough to fake your way through a Google interview? I assume the OP has a strong background in CS. There's nothing wrong with getting a refresher to be prepared.
do you also read books on how to pick up girls

Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
you should have died in sandy. you're not just a troll on here, you're a complete dick. can you ever respond constructively to someone's thread? did you never learn how to make friends while growing up? did mommy and daddy never pay you enough attention? loser
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Tauce says

yea, that. This guy asked for help not your useless condescending attitude.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
nikkeiS2K

Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Thanks for helping a fellow Bruin .
What kind of work are you doing these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
You could start by suggestion some options for reducing the number of exploits and how often people's Yahoo accounts get hacked causing them to post in forums asking about it.
If I could do that then I *SHOULD* be running the company, but they would still give me an entry-level position.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 11-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
you should have died in sandy. you're not just a troll on here, you're a complete dick. can you ever respond constructively to someone's thread? did you never learn how to make friends while growing up? did mommy and daddy never pay you enough attention? loser
Haha good news! We can tell Sandy jokes! Apparently it's no longer "too soon". Yessss...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Good to hear your coming into the field, make sure you have an area that you're most interested in and can explain why you're energetic about it (networking, search, database, storage, kernel, etc). When I interview ppl I want to see them excited about the stuff they want to do. For a fresh grad, energy and being "hungry" is a big positive.

Most ppl don't know how to interview new grads. They're used to interviewing ppl with experience and will try to adjust the questions accordingly. This means they'll ask academic questions which should be fresh in your mind. Frequently, ppl have standard programming questions that they like to ask:

- Reverse a string
- Find a loop in a linked list
- Determine if a string is a palindrome
- Different ways to count number of bits in an integer
- Add/Insert objects into a singly linked list
- How to find out if a system is big Endian or little Endian
- Calculating Fibonnaci numbers (serially, recursively)
- Common search algorithms, pros/cons, big O complexity
- multi-threaded programming, context switching, resource sharing
- various resource locking (spinlock, mutex), their pros/cons
- GDB experience, what's a segfault.

Then there are brain teasers. Many of which you can find by googling Microsoft's interview questions:
- why is the manhole round
- how to find the fake coin in a stack using a scale
- how to transport different animals across the river
- how many barbers are there in NY (detailed assumptions arriving at a reasonable answer)

Finally there are personality questions.
- Do you know what this company/department does? (VERY IMPORTANT)
- What field did you specialize in school? What CS field do you want to go into, and why?
- What problem have stumped you before and how did you find a solution to it?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? (stupid questions but you'll be surprised how unprepared ppl are for this question)

Last edited by Amoeba; 11-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Amoeba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
a s u r a 0 s 9
Nikkei is a $lut.

My Ride: is always in a shop
Wish u the best of luck, Nikki!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Good to hear your coming into the field, make sure you have an area that you're most interested in and can explain why you're energetic about it (networking, search, database, storage, kernel, etc). When I interview ppl I want to see them excited about the stuff they want to do. For a fresh grad, energy and being "hungry" is a big positive.

Most ppl don't know how to interview new grads. They're used to interviewing ppl with experience and will try to adjust the questions accordingly. This means they'll ask academic questions which should be fresh in your mind. Frequently, ppl have standard programming questions that they like to ask:

- Reverse a string
- Find a loop in a linked list
- Determine if a string is a palindrome
- Different ways to count number of bits in an integer
- Add/Insert objects into a singly linked list
- How to find out if a system is big Endian or little Endian
- Calculating Fibonnaci numbers (serially, recursively)
- Common search algorithms, pros/cons, big O complexity
- multi-threaded programming, context switching, resource sharing
- various resource locking (spinlock, mutex), their pros/cons
- GDB experience, what's a segfault.

Then there are brain teasers. Many of which you can find by googling Microsoft's interview questions:
- why is the manhole round
- how to find the fake coin in a stack using a scale
- how to transport different animals across the river
- how many barbers are there in NY (detailed assumptions arriving at a reasonable answer)

Finally there are personality questions.
- Do you know what this company/department does? (VERY IMPORTANT)
- What field did you specialize in school? What CS field do you want to go into, and why?
- What problem have stumped you before and how did you find a solution to it?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? (stupid questions but you'll be surprised how unprepared ppl are for this question)
Wow thank you SO much. So far I am reviewing the PDF file that was posted above, but this additional information could help me better narrow down what I need to concentrate on.

If I want to get into Database Design, what kind of entry level positions should I look into? I already have a few years of Web Development under my belt, so it has been relatively easy for me to get these positions, but I would like to venture into different areas as well just to widen my options and experience. So far I have been applying for front-end SWE and PHP Programmer jobs and recruiters say they are really impressed with my work experience. On the other hand I have not worked too much with C++ and Java outside of school projects, so getting positions that require fluency in these languages have been hard to come by for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a s u r a 0 s 9 View Post
Wish u the best of luck, Nikki!!!
Thank you BFF
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
Wow thank you SO much. So far I am reviewing the PDF file that was posted above, but this additional information could help me better narrow down what I need to concentrate on.

If I want to get into Database Design, what kind of entry level positions should I look into? I already have a few years of Web Development under my belt, so it has been relatively easy for me to get these positions, but I would like to venture into different areas as well just to widen my options and experience. So far I have been applying for front-end SWE and PHP Programmer jobs and recruiters say they are really impressed with my work experience. On the other hand I have not worked too much with C++ and Java outside of school projects, so getting positions that require fluency in these languages have been hard to come by for me...

Thank you BFF
Web development is a good start but probably not something you want to go long term with. These are frequently outsourced and tend to have higher turnover once the interface is done. The barrier of entry is low so you'll find competition from part-time contractors as well.

Database is good but can be boring at times. I would recommend looking for an entry-level position at Oracle/Google. They're large with many positions and give good pedigree on your resume. A background in database with strong analytic skills will land you jobs in data mining/search optimization.

I came up in networking. It's interesting and always something new to learn, but Cisco have started to commoditize the market. There still tons of companies in the Silicon Valley doing networking, you won't have any trouble finding a job and many startups to be adventurous with.

Cloud is really the next big thing. Companies are moving all kinds of storage, management, and computing into the cloud. Network, storage, etc all ties in to the cloud.

Or you can go for more generic kernel/platform work. Every company have their own OS and need ppl to maintain them. Your choice of field can be very flexible with this type of position.

My reommendation would be to stick with a large corporation for your first job, unless you're very specialized with prior experience and want to try a startup. Your resume is all about pedigree. Having well-known companies or startups that made it will do wonders for your future career growth. When managers skim the resume, that's what they're looking for.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Web development is a good start but probably not something you want to go long term with. These are frequently outsourced and tend to have higher turnover once the interface is done. The barrier of entry is low so you'll find competition from part-time contractors as well.

Database is good but can be boring at times. I would recommend looking for an entry-level position at Oracle/Google. They're large with many positions and give good pedigree on your resume. A background in database with strong analytic skills will land you jobs in data mining/search optimization.

I came up in networking. It's interesting and always something new to learn, but Cisco have started to commoditize the market. There still tons of companies in the Silicon Valley doing networking, you won't have any trouble finding a job and many startups to be adventurous with.

Cloud is really the next big thing. Companies are moving all kinds of storage, management, and computing into the cloud. Network, storage, etc all ties in to the cloud.

Or you can go for more generic kernel/platform work. Every company have their own OS and need ppl to maintain them. Your choice of field can be very flexible with this type of position.

My recommendation would be to stick with a large corporation for your first job, unless you're very specialized with prior experience and want to try a startup. Your resume is all about pedigree. Having well-known companies or startups that made it will do wonders for your future career growth. When managers skim the resume, that's what they're looking for.
I definitely do not want to stick with Web Development long term because like you said jobs are being outsourced and on top of that so many people can do the job that companies settle with contractors/freelancers.

I will see about getting more into data mining and networking. How about a combination of database design/networking to get into the Cloud family? There is a professor that I will be taking a database class with next semester who has 20 years of experience working at Oracle. I am going to pick his brain and find out everything I can while I have the opportunity. Heck, every little bit helps! Besides that I think my school is horrible at preparing us for entering the industry. I used my alter mater's resources to attend their career fair recently and that is how I was able to land an interview with Yahoo!. What worries me is what the future holds for Yahoo!... I thought I needed to go the extra mile to stay competitive with all of the MIT / Carnegie Mellon / CalTech / Stanford guys if I want to stand out and get into one of the major tech companies. So far I am keeping in contact with a Google recruiter, but even if I get a first interview the technical interview scares the crap out of me! I've heard/read too many horror stories not to be worried about it.

As for working at a start-up / small company I've pretty much decided against it. I just feel that I need a much better skill set working for them compared to a larger corp with dozens of programmers working on projects as a team. Also as you said it would just look good on your resume.

I feel much better about my future, concentration and where I want to be in the industry. Just to better my knowledge and show my motivation I want to write my thesis on the Cloud. Would this be something I could show employers or would it be too arrogant? lol

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 11-11-2012 at 02:03 PM.