E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Help Me Diagnose Driveline Noise

Hey Fanatics,
I have been trying to diagnose a oscillating noise from my driveline. I have a 2001 325i Auto and the sound increases proportionally with increasing RPM's. (More RPM's, the faster the repetition of the noise) It happens in P,R,N,D so I doubt it has to do with the wheels or suspension components. For example, when I start the car up, in P, I can hear a ticking noise coming from under the passenger seat side of the car. It is not coming from the front of the engine for certain. In my opinion it could be anything from the rear of the engine all the way to the rear of the car. Transmission is fine. No slips, no gear failures that I know of, and I just got my transmission fluid changed the correct way, with the correct fluids from ZF and etc etc back in July.

What could this be? Hopefully the guibo.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well if its in park and the driveshaft isn't moving I don't see how it could be the guibo??
Old 11-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Sweetness

I guess it wouldn't be then. What could it be then?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Alex is right...driveshaft isn't moving in park.

...and not to argue with you, but it's very hard to figure out where a sound is coming from. If it's definitely not under the hood (you should listen with a stethoscope or hose), then the only other things I can think of is fuel pump. There's nothing else moving when you're in park.

Try filling up the car above 1/2 full and see if that quiets the noise down (if you happen to be low on fuel)...

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Alex is right...driveshaft isn't moving in park.

...and not to argue with you, but it's very hard to figure out where a sound is coming from. If it's definitely not under the hood (you should listen with a stethoscope or hose), then the only other things I can think of is fuel pump. There's nothing else moving when you're in park.

Try filling up the car above 1/2 full and see if that quiets the noise down (if you happen to be low on fuel)...
3/4 Fuel and 3/4 between lines on the dipstick with BMW 5W-30

Replaced Fuel Pump in August with Siemens VDO

Could be my exhaust leak that I have probably?

Last edited by Sweetness; 11-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It could be an exhaust leak too. Why do you think you 'probably' have one though?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
silvrXI

My Ride: E46(x2)&E36/7M&YZFR6
Heat shield possibly. Also check the exhaust bracket that mounts to the trans, sometimes it breaks and rattles against the exhaust
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Sweetness

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I'll check the heat shield. But yes, I have a visible crack on the resonator, causes the exhaust to be hoarse between 1-3 RPMs...saving up for a catback system
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
If the sound is RMP dependent, meaning if the sound increases in repetition as the RPMs increase then it has to do with engine and engine driven parts. You have to start diagnosing by the process of elimination. Take the bets off and start the car and listen to that same sound that you heard with the belts on. Obviously start the car when its cold so you have a good 10min of safe engine running time before it'll start overheating.

It could also be as simple as an exhaust leak or a loose heat shield.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
If the sound is RMP dependent, meaning if the sound increases in repetition as the RPMs increase then it has to do with engine and engine driven parts. You have to start diagnosing by the process of elimination. Take the bets off and start the car and listen to that same sound that you heard with the belts on. Obviously start the car when its cold so you have a good 10min of safe engine running time before it'll start overheating.

It could also be as simple as an exhaust leak or a loose heat shield.
Thanks blocked. Always love hearing from you. I respect your always professional advice, and you are one of the only fanatics that I respect to the utmost.

But back to the topic, I have diagnosed it as a exhaust leak. I covered the crack up with some rags and the noise became muffled.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Thanks blocked. Always love hearing from you. I respect your always professional advice, and you are one of the only fanatics that I respect to the utmost.
But back to the topic, I have diagnosed it as a exhaust leak. I covered the crack up with some rags and the noise became muffled.
someday this could be me

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 11-16-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
might be the exhaust heat shield that goes over the exhaust manifold. Mine is a bit loose and it starts to "tick" every once inawhile. All you need to do to confirm it is or is not that is to touch it with something to hold it steady.. if noise goes away, that's it. it is on the passenger side of the car too.

Or maybe a leaky exhaust/bolt/exhaust rubbing against one of the heat shields down there?

or could be valve lifter tick
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post

I was going to say that as you increase RPM's you're directly increasing the exhaust gasses coming out of the engine, so the two main areas that this points to are engine driven components, and exhaust.. glad you diagnosed it! upgrading exhaust can be expensive, but man, talk about rewarding!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
someday this could be me
No... you're already there

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mpr77 View Post
no... You're already there
+1!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Alex is definitely on my list. (And not my block list--I took him off)

One day I'll place my hands underneath Alex's intake manifold and feel around to make sure everythings OK. I'll also touch other parts of the engine bay. If I see any dirt on my hands after an engine rub down, his name gets erased off the list. Same goes for any of the other few on my list.

Anyone else down for an engine rub down? beagle killer?? hip hop boy?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Alex is definitely on my list. (And not my block list--I took him off)

One day I'll place my hands underneath Alex's intake manifold and feel around to make sure everythings OK. I'll also touch other parts of the engine bay. If I see any dirt on my hands after an engine rub down, his name gets erased off the list. Same goes for any of the other few on my list.

Anyone else down for an engine rub down? beagle killer?? hip hop boy?
Mine can use all the rub it can get, Dmax' too... being on the darkside of the moon and all. Watch out for the "Love Kit" in the trunk though, with items like Gorilla Tape (strong enough for a beagle) rope etc...

"Beware of any man who keeps a Love Kit in his trunk."

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 11-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote