E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
rguti153

My Ride: 2004 zhp / 2000 323i
Bending u over big time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
rguti153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
As others have said, the dealer number is extremely high. I would do the service inspection, including the valve adjustments and oil change. Skip on the other stuff and see if it needs to be replaced. I replaced my belt when I did my water pump, which you will most likely need to do by the time you get to 100,000. That will also count as the coolant flush. You can even replace the hoses if they need it. Mine at 110k are still nice and stiff, no leaks. So replacing all of them now may be premature. If your windshield washer works, then you probably don't need a new pump. If it doesn't I'd check the fuse for it before giving away money.

It really sounds like the dealer has a bunch of extra time on their hands and rather than let the mechanics stand around they want to make money off you and rotate thier stock at the same time. There was a thing on 60 Minutes a while back where dealers were investigated by having a hidden camera/mics in the car, all of them were guilty of being able to fix the problem with an inexpensive part quickly then charging a ton more to replace other parts for no reason at all.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
It really sounds like the dealer has a bunch of extra time on their hands and rather than let the mechanics stand around they want to make money off you and rotate thier stock at the same time. There was a thing on 60 Minutes a while back where dealers were investigated by having a hidden camera/mics in the car, all of them were guilty of being able to fix the problem with an inexpensive part quickly then charging a ton more to replace other parts for no reason at all.
I don't think the dealer in this case is trying to rip him off, they are just following what the schedule and charging book times and typical inflated dealer parts prices.

The Volvo dealer quoted my GF ~$1000 for front/rear pads/rotors, then I showed her how much she'd save buying the parts online. The savings was ~$300 in parts alone as the dealer wanted > $500 for parts and we picked everything up for ~$250. Now multiple that by the "M3 markup" and you can see how dealers arrive at these silly quotes.

My old Mercedes dealer was really nice. The service manager would advise that certain jobs would be far cheaper to go to an independent after my eyes nearly fell out of their sockets a few times he gave me a quote for a repair. Thus I eventually stopped going to the dealer at all.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
1778 for inspection?!?! i did inspection II AND vanos maintenance for 1300... you got ripped big time

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
What gold plated hoses are they replacing for 1600$?
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???

Last edited by jhaurimn; 11-02-2012 at 09:30 PM.
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
BlackRain

My Ride: 330ci
The washer fluid pump is approximately 30 dollars and takes 10 minutes to change.
BlackRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
06alpine325Ci

My Ride: AW E46 M3
Check out TKX if your in the Huntington Area
Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #28
vitalik-seattle

My Ride: 2004 M3
Never ever ever take your car to the stealership. They rip you off and make our cars look bad. I'm running at 106k smg without a single stop at the stealership. It's a fairly easy car to work on if you understand common sense in cars. My mom also drives an e46 with 170k miles on all oem factory hoses,belts,timing belt never been changed. Runs like a champ. Only changed coils, spark plugs, brakes and such.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #29
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3.22 View Post
**All prices include tax and labor**

Tune Up/Inspection Service - 1,778 WHY??? Did you say it was already done??
Wash fluid pump - 227 Cost 30$ and takes 5 minutes to put in
Rear Brakes (Rotors) - 781 $400 all in
Rear Control Arms - 667 $100 for a set
Rear shock mounts - 460 $100
Alignment - 300 $120
Drive Belts - 276 $120
Replace all hoses - 1,598 Which hoses ???

Total Cost = 6,087

Regardless or which hoses they talking about, you must be insane if you pay more then $1500 labor included for all that.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
OP, I don't have the desire to do basic maintenance on my cars anymore...I used to do it all and if you have the time and basic tools/skills it's easy and can save you a ton of dough.

My 41k service at an indy shop was $4500 ish. I did the valves, fluids, CDV Valve, new sunroof felt, a rear axle seal, all filters, all fluids, Front rotors and pads (did the rears too) (ePads for the win, I love the feel just like the OEM pads I think and they don't dust bad and the dust is much lighter in color), car needed plugs early (2006 with only 25k miles bought this year), a couple other odds and ends. The Inspection costs are just the basics, all parts that need to be replaced are added on. Sadly for the M3 many of the parts get added on especially if you are driving it like an M3 should be.

Last edited by alkemyst; 11-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
nek0

My Ride: e85 turbo m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3.22 View Post
I am located on Long Island, in the Commack - Huntington area. I think you guys are right, I need to find a Indy Shop that I can trust, but that is the hard part
shoot me an PM these guys are just gonna flame you cause your a newb (which there is nothing wrong with everyone here was on that boat one time or another) ill point you in the right direction

Last edited by nek0; 11-11-2012 at 06:57 PM.
nek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #32
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalik-seattle View Post
Never ever ever take your car to the stealership. They rip you off and make our cars look bad. I'm running at 106k smg without a single stop at the stealership. It's a fairly easy car to work on if you understand common sense in cars. My mom also drives an e46 with 170k miles on all oem factory hoses,belts,timing belt never been changed. Runs like a champ. Only changed coils, spark plugs, brakes and such.
Let us know when you change that timing belt! Maybe a video of the process too!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
vitalik-seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Let us know when you change that timing belt! Maybe a video of the process too!
Alright ill keep that in mind. Oh and btw it's timing chain. Sorry if it bothers anyone I said timing belt lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #34
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalik-seattle View Post
Alright ill keep that in mind. Oh and btw it's timing chain. Sorry if it bothers anyone I said timing belt lol.
That is why I said you should shoot a video!
The rest of the parts will probably fall off of that car before you need to change that chain.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #35
vitalik-seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
That is why I said you should shoot a video!
The rest of the parts will probably fall off of that car before you need to change that chain.
Nah. Did valve adjustments not too long ago. Car is still strong.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #36
putyoursoxon

My Ride: 03 M3
If you want to come to CT i can do the valve adjust for you
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
SunTiger

My Ride: 2006 M3 Convertible
Say thanks and then get a second opinion.

'06 Alpine White M3 Vert
'11 Cosmic Blue MINI Countryman S
SunTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #38
Taunto

My Ride: 05 CB M3 SMG
I love how everyone here is saying that the dealership is taking the op for a ride and most of the stuff isnt most likely needed when yet no one has seen or inspected the car themselves. Do you have photo's. Did the dealer give you your brake specs? Pad thickness in mm and rotor thickness specs?

If you are UN-sure on the car. Take the car to another shop. Ask for a full inspection including brakes and suspension inspection and make.sure they give you specs with brakes,ball joints and such.

No need to go bashing dealerships when no one has physically seen the car and inspected it then selves.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Bimmer App
Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
No need to go bashing dealerships when no one has physically seen the car and inspected it then selves.
You must work at a dealership.

At a minimum the pricing is ridiculous, more realistically the entire cooling system does not need to be replaced for $1600 unless there is something seriously different with the OP's car vs every other e46.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
vitalik-seattle

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Bimmer App[/QUOTE]

Haha and I love when people go ahead and defend the dealerships lmao. We all have M3's in this thread (well I hope we do) so all symptoms are relative. And like being said a cooling system doesn't cost that much neither do the brakes or anything else. We don't need to see the car, common sense is enough