E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
I'm going to grab a Breville YouBrew Coffee maker! Looks like an awesome coffee maker + grinder with the ability to brew single cup up to 12 cup carafe. Possibly pick one up next week or so or wife said she'd get it for me for christmas but i'll let you know how it goes!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
what size gave ya a tin?
12oz I think...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
so what's up with this kicking horse stuff , who has tried what?

http://kickinghorsecoffee.com/store/...s.php?cPath=41

seems by can they mean grounds, and the beans only come in a bag?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 11-11-2012 at 08:09 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
lol terrible advice ITT

Most of the junk that's out there is roasted in huge batches and can sit for months before hit hits store shelves / or people buy it and use it. Coffee is good for ~1 week after it has been roasted.
There's all kinds of snob levels.
The cream de la cream snobs would laugh at your comment.
If you're not roasting your own bean the night before you grind it, you've got nothing on them.

That said, snobism just for the sake of snobism is ignorance.
If you don't have a high quality grinder and an espresso machine costing in the thousands of buckaroos, two or three week old bean is just fine.
You won't notice the difference. Trust me.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
There's all kinds of snob levels.
The cream de la cream snobs would laugh at your comment.
If you're not roasting your own bean the night before you grind it, you've got nothing on them.

That said, snobism just for the sake of snobism is ignorance.
If you don't have a high quality grinder and an espresso machine costing in the thousands of buckaroos, two or three week old bean is just fine.
You won't notice the difference. Trust me.
Is this a serious post? Using fresh beans is not limited to espresso.

Go back to your Starbucks drinks.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
wes, seeing how ya haven't offered anything along the lines of the thread topic, please take your argument and start a thread for it

if not, state what beans you use, unless ya did and i just didn't see it

if i really cared that much about fresh, stale , what press , blah blah blah, i'd join a coffee forum

just wanted some ideas from others on what they like, not the countdown to extinction

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 11-11-2012 at 08:24 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Is this a serious post? Using fresh beans is not limited to espresso.

Go back to your Starbucks drinks.
I used espresso as a general term for pressure brewed coffee, as opposed to French press and the many other ways.

I have bought Starbucks beans. They are not bad. They are in the middle of my scale. Their price is also in the middle, so a decent value.
I like the Whole Food beans, but they are more expensive.
$15/pound is overpriced. There's no need for that, unless you have the equipment to extra the flavor. You'd be throwing money down the drain otherwise.

I'm not a coffee snob. I just like a fresh decent brew.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
Wes

Quote:
wes, seeing how ya haven't offered anything along the lines of the thread topic, please take your argument and start a thread for it

if not, state what beans you use, unless ya did and i just didn't see it

if i really cared that much about fresh, stale , what press , blah blah blah, i'd join a coffee forum

just wanted some ideas from others on what they like, not the countdown to extinction
I get my beans from a few different places. Blue Bottle and Verve to name two. They ship the beans a day after they've been roasted. Since I'm in the same state, I usually get them within a day or two.

Your best bet is to find some good roasters in NY. I'm sure there are some great roasters based out of NYC.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #29
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
I used espresso as a general term for pressure brewed coffee, as opposed to French press and the many other ways.

I have bought Starbucks beans. They are not bad. They are in the middle of my scale. Their price is also in the middle, so a decent value.
I like the Whole Food beans, but they are more expensive.
$15/pound is overpriced. There's no need for that, unless you have the equipment to extra the flavor. You'd be throwing money down the drain otherwise.

I'm not a coffee snob. I just like a fresh decent brew.
I think I pay about $18/lb. A few dollars more is worth the quality of what I'm getting (IMO). I bought some Starbucks beans a few months ago because I was all out of my normal beans and just needed something to hold me over for a day or two. I went with the Blonde (I think?) roast which is supposed to be their lightest roast. I ground enough beans for a single cup and prepared it like I do with my normal coffee and I was honestly disgusted. I tossed the rest of the beans in the trash.

Starbucks (and all other major chains) seems to over roast the beans to the point where they become disgusting.

I really do not think that I am a coffee snob, just somebody who enjoys good coffee.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Whole Foods roasts every week- sometimes more- like I said. They range from $12-$16 a pound IIRC.

And wasp- the Kicking Horse Kick Ass is great. Give it a try. The beans are available in the tin at the link I posted. I'm sure they're available on Kicking Horse's website as well.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #31
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Whole Foods roasts every week- sometimes more- like I said. They range from $12-$16 a pound IIRC.
I've never tried their coffee. Next time I go, I'll be sure to buy some beans and see how they are.

To be honest, I don't have very high expectations, but maybe it's better that way. I may very well be surprised.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #32
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Quote:
Your best bet is to find some good roasters in NY. I'm sure there are some great roasters based out of NYC.
Honestly this is probably the best advice here. I get free beans from Starbucks from time to time (my cousin works there and gives me his mark out), but when I can I like to support local businesses that roast their own. Not only are you supporting small business and the local economy, but it's easy to find a higher quality bean.

But if you just need coffee and don't care what kind, the **** in the grocery store will do. Just whatever you do buy whole bean instead of pre-ground. It'll last a lot longer.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #33
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
look up aldos coffee.... its in greenport, ny. old man knows his shyt

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #34
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Wes I have a question and you seem like someone who'd know. I've been searching for a variable displacement container for holding beans at room temp. Ideally a glass cylinder with a plunger and seal, so that every time you closed it there'd be as little air as possible. Tried vacuum bags and they just don't cut it.

Everywhere I've looked, brick and cyber, I find nothing! Can you think of anywhere else to try?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #35
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
Quote:
I get my beans from a few different places. Blue Bottle and Verve to name two. They ship the beans a day after they've been roasted. Since I'm in the same state, I usually get them within a day or two.

Blue bottle is really good, love their espresso.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #36
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Exactly how do those bulk roasted beans go bad after a week? The stuff you buy at Costco is bulk roasted and then sealed in oxygen free packaging. They displace all the oxygen with nitrogen - and without oxygen, exactly how are they going to go bad? It's not like bacteria is a factor.

Fun fact for the day - did you know that many of the apples you see at the supermarket were picked well over a year ago? They seal them up in an oxygen free environment and they keep just fine for up to 2 years or so.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
i've just started buying caribou coffee and have found it has pretty good flavor.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #38
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
tired of stale coffee and filters

dunkin is pretty good to me and $50 for 5 lbs shipped is not overly priced imo, arabica is good as a whole tho

what you guys like and where ya get it?

just got a grind and brew

capresso coffee team gs, it's a burr grinder which isn't as clog prone

http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-464-0.../dp/B002EVOVPI
Duncan isn't bad but there are great beans out there

Here we have old soul & temple coffee. High quality beans.

I also use a burr grinder ($70 +) for the correct size of grind for my French press

Also water - I use filtered spring water.

I use about 35 grams of beans per 2 cups

So my sh1t blows Pete's Starbucks Duncan out of the water

It's like a good wine or good beer. Some guys are bud light - I'm a laganitas ipa person

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:

Last edited by Born Again; 11-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #39
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Exactly how do those bulk roasted beans go bad after a week? The stuff you buy at Costco is bulk roasted and then sealed in oxygen free packaging. They displace all the oxygen with nitrogen - and without oxygen, exactly how are they going to go bad? It's not like bacteria is a factor.

Fun fact for the day - did you know that many of the apples you see at the supermarket were picked well over a year ago? They seal them up in an oxygen free environment and they keep just fine for up to 2 years or so.
Once you open the bag air gets in. That will stale the beans.

I have a container that actually forces the air out for storage.

Typically once u open it u should use it within two weeks.

Again this is more for coffee snobs and maybe u don't care nor taste the difference.

I also don't add sugar or flavored creamers to coffee as that would defeat the purpose of a good roast of beans.

Also check the date when it's roasted.

The good shops will have roasts within a week or two of your purchase

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:

Last edited by Born Again; 11-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #40
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
I don't always drink coffee, but when I do, I prefer the beans come form a Monkey's ass.

Kopi Luwak

Last edited by wild willy; 11-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote