E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
WHY should you change your fuel filter?

I have read on many occasions that fuel filters should be replaced and I have thought "Ok. When its been on there for a while I guess it wouldn't do any harm I suppose". But then another voice in my head says "Hey. We are talking about petrol here. There can't be anything cleaner outside the passenger area than the fuel tank and the petrol you pump into it. So where's the advantage?". Right? So where would the alleged crap come from to block up the filter?

Anyway. I went out and bought a new filter. Exactly the same as the old filter. Got it home. Took it out of the box and, just out of curiosity, blew through it. There was absolutely no resistance to me blowing at all. Like it wasn't there.

Its now on the car and I have the old one in my hand, drained of petrol of course. So I have blown through that to see if there is any difference.

Knock me down with a feather!!!!! Have you ever tried to blow up a balloon? You know that tough bit where you have to get it to start off and the air goes everywhere except into the balloon? Well not as bad as that but not far off. So there is a CONSIDERABLE resistance to air flow in the old one. So much so that I wouldn't like to be the fuel pump having to push fuel through it towards the injectors. That's got to be hard work.

I am suddenly aware that this must inevitably have an impact on performance. In fact, having been for a run, it now goes like sh*t off a shovel. (That's a British expression. Means FAST. It comes from the olden days. Days of terraced houses and untethered dogs what used to roam the streets sh*tting at liberty. The solution was to scoop up the crap on a shovel and flick it into a the realm of the dog's owner. Preferably so that it hits the front door keyhole. I was an expert. Its all in the wrist action!)

I suppose it will be injector O-rings next (the ones on the inside of the injector not the outside) unfamiliar, as they must be, with having to confront an unrestrained fuel pump. I shall keep an eye on them. Dribbling may be imminent.

So there you go. Mine eyes have been opened. Change that fuel filter guys. This still doesn't explain where the crap comes from. I am going to try and split the old one open and see what's in there. I will post some pics of the guts of the old one in due course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0178.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	477815  

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-12-2012 at 08:01 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
The crap comes from the petrol tank at the station.

It wouldn't hurt to clean the pick up on the pump if you change it again in 60k and find the same amount of resistance.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You will find next to nothing in the pump pick up screen. The screens are far more coarse than the fuel filter element.

I am a firm believer now that you really need to change the fuel filter every 30k miles as the paper element is rather fine and picks up all sorts of crap.

If you bother to cut open a fuel filter, you will likely find the inside element caked in a black sludge. Depending on how dry the filter is, the black will be an ultra fine powder that you can scrape off.

You will be surprised how thick this black gunk will actually get.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
You will find next to nothing in the pump pick up screen. The screens are far more coarse than the fuel filter element.

I am a firm believer now that you really need to change the fuel filter every 30k miles as the paper element is rather fine and picks up all sorts of crap.

If you bother to cut open a fuel filter, you will likely find the inside element caked in a black sludge. Depending on how dry the filter is, the black will be an ultra fine powder that you can scrape off.

You will be surprised how thick this black gunk will actually get.
I will leave it a day or two to dry off then take a hacksaw to it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
...and a couple of other reasons to change it:

I read here that one fanatic had a no-start issue because of an original fuel filter not being changed up to 130K miles.

Also, when I did mine after an indefinite period of time (got the car as third owner), I got an extra 1.5 mpgs., so even if you pay someone to do it, you get a pretty short payback time.

If you don't know when it was done, start logging your mpg/mph data, change the filter, and compare the difference...bet you'll find a noticeable one.

Jfoj, I'm not sure about the 30K mile interval though...I'm thinking it's an Inspection II item, which I believe means 60K miles.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
daves325in2012

My Ride: 04 330cic & 00 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
I will leave it a day or two to dry off then take a hacksaw to it.
I'll do the same to mine and post pics in this thread. Will be changing it at 140k in a couple months, I am on my second filter I imagine.

Mine is from late 2009 so I'd assume it has about 60k on it

Last edited by daves325in2012; 11-12-2012 at 08:12 AM.
daves325in2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Mine has 67k on it. I might keep it around to cut it open as well. I imagine mine is ****ed. I need new pressure regulator vacuum fittings as well.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
This guy is starting to see the PM light.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Indeed.

It's funny that this is overlooked so often. There is a filter there for a reason, and that is gas is actually pretty dirty. Anything that's a filter, fluid, or moves/rotates a lot will always wear out at some point.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
RayPooley

Quote:
I can't figure out how to respond to this. tell me waht the PM light is and I will let you know if I starting to see it.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
It's both a night light to help you find your way to the bathroom at night, and it's the light you see, when your car is properly preventatively maintained...and you can bask in the glow from the security it gives you. Kind of makes me cry what a warm feeling that is!

This, btw, is not to be confused with the Mango light, which spells doom and foreboding, especially if you ignore it. We've lost many e46s because of failure to see 'this' light...aka the low coolant warning light.

The PM light is a spiritual light--only believers can see it!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
Quote:
I can't figure out how to respond to this. tell me waht the PM light is and I will let you know if I starting to see it.
In a manner of speaking, it's also a kind of a Kool Aid light, if you're old enough know what that reference is about. It's pink, and it only comes on once, usually rather late in life.

Last edited by Wolrab; 11-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Wolrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It's both a night light to help you find your way to the bathroom at night, and it's the light you see, when your car is properly preventatively maintained...and you can bask in the glow from the security it gives you. Kind of makes me cry what a warm feeling that is!

This, btw, is not to be confused with the Mango light, which spells doom and foreboding, especially if you ignore it. We've lost many e46s because of failure to see 'this' light...aka the low coolant warning light.

The PM light is a spiritual light--only believers can see it!

Yes there was even a short-lived thread about it!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=937253

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
In a manner of speaking, it's also a kind of a Kool Aid light, if you're old enough know what that reference is about. It's pink, and it only comes on once, usually rather late in life.
You sure its not brown? This PM light. You know. The color of bullsh*t?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Gas isn't perfectly clean, of course you'll need to change it every 60k or during Inspection II.

Also I wouldn't put my mouth on it
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
You sure its not brown? This PM light. You know. The color of bullsh*t?
No. That would be the color of your fuel.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Gas isn't perfectly clean, of course you'll need to change it every 60k or during Inspection II.

Also I wouldn't put my mouth on it
Its ok. I don't have any infectious diseases!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
RayPooley

Quote:
No. That would be the color of your fuel.
Preventative maintenance? Oh good heavens NO. Not at all. I replaced the fuel filter because I have an intermittent problem that I am trying to fix. Started Thursday last week. According to the Mango school of car maintenance I would have to replace the filter, the pump, the injectors, the petrol, in short, everything between injectors and tank on a just-in-case basis. In fact, if I remember correctly, isn't that the advise you gave to some poor unsuspecting schmuck last week? Can't remember what his problem was. A leaky 23 cent injector O-ring or something like that. The mango solution would set him back about $700 in parts alone. So certainly no hint of a conversion here and never will be.

As it happens, I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor today. And here's the rub. The one I replaced has only been on the car for 7 months. Why's that you ask? Well. Its because in March this year I had a misfire situation. Codes lead me to suspect intake camshaft sensor. So I replaced the intake camshaft sensor AND also replaced the exhaust cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. The very definition of your PM principle wouldn't you say? IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT! Isn't that your mission statement? Yet here I am 7 months later replacing the crank position sensor. Chances are, had I left the original one in place I wouldn't have had to do that today. So all in all I reckon that takes your IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT PM strategy firmly by the throat and gives it one straight up the backside. Its nonsense. And I really do wish you would stop pushing it on people who know no better.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-12-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Preventative maintenance? Oh good heavens NO. Not at all. I replaced the fuel filter because I have an intermittent problem that I am trying to fix. Started Thursday last week. According to the Mango school of car maintenance I would have to replac the filter, the pump, the injectors, the petrol, in short, everything between injectors and tank on a just-in-case basis. In fact, if I remember correctly, isn't that the advise you gave to some poor unsusupecting schmuck last week? Can't remember what his problem was. A leaky 23 cent injector O-ring or something like that. The mango solution would set him back about $700 in parts alone. So certainly no hint of a conversion here and never will be.

As it happens, I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor today. And here's the rub. The one I replaced has only been on the car for 7 months. Why's that you ask? Well. Its because in March this year I had a misfire situation. Codes lead me to suspect intake camshaft sensor. So I replaced the intake camshaft sensor AND also replaced the exhaust cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. The very definition of your PM principle wouldn't you say? IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT! Isn't that your mission statement? Yet here I am 7 months later replacing the crank position sensor. Chances are, had I left the original one in place I wouldn't have had to do that today. So all in all I reckon that takes your IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT PM strategy firmly by the throat and gives it one straight up the backside. Its nonsense. And I really do wish you would stop pushing on people who know no better.

I needed a laugh today. Thank you!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
WDE46

Quote:
Preventative maintenance? Oh good heavens NO. Not at all. I replaced the fuel filter because I have an intermittent problem that I am trying to fix. Started Thursday last week. According to the Mango school of car maintenance I would have to replace the filter, the pump, the injectors, the petrol, in short, everything between injectors and tank on a just-in-case basis. In fact, if I remember correctly, isn't that the advise you gave to some poor unsuspecting schmuck last week? Can't remember what his problem was. A leaky 23 cent injector O-ring or something like that. The mango solution would set him back about $700 in parts alone. So certainly no hint of a conversion here and never will be.

As it happens, I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor today. And here's the rub. The one I replaced has only been on the car for 7 months. Why's that you ask? Well. Its because in March this year I had a misfire situation. Codes lead me to suspect intake camshaft sensor. So I replaced the intake camshaft sensor AND also replaced the exhaust cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. The very definition of your PM principle wouldn't you say? IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT! Isn't that your mission statement? Yet here I am 7 months later replacing the crank position sensor. Chances are, had I left the original one in place I wouldn't have had to do that today. So all in all I reckon that takes your IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT PM strategy firmly by the throat and gives it one straight up the backside. Its nonsense. And I really do wish you would stop pushing it on people who know no better.
There is a good middle ground b/w Mango and doing nothing.

I am an extreme moderate. I believe all those not in favor of moderation ought to be hanged.

My strategy of waiting for a mild issue and then replacing everything that's convenient while I'm there works fairly well if you're not made of money.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-12-2012 at 12:13 PM.