E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
And they said it couldnt be done...

so a VERY reputable shop in MA (where i live/have my car registered) told me that o2 sims, and/or a flash of the obdII would only get rid of dash lights in the event of installing aftermarket headers and deleting the cats. when i go to get my car inspected, i am told i will still not pass emissions. it seems as though the only way to get a passing sticker is to swap back to stock headers before the point of inspection. however, i believe i could install two downstream cats using quick release exhaust clamps, wire the o2 sensors post-cat, and pass inspection. then, once i have my stickers, swap out the cats with straight sections using the same exhaust clamps.

my reason for posting, is to see if anyone can find a problem with this plan. i have searched out the a$$ about headers and cat deletes, and personally think this should work. i am looking for someone to prove me wrong and hopefully save me a headache! if not, then i will end up with a successful setup! Thank you in advance guys, Peace
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
i passed an obd-II inspection (where they check for error codes, CEL, readiness being set, etc). all i had done was wire in an o2 sim into the ECU compartment. i bought the o2 sim from www.o2sim.com. works perfectly after 7k miles and plenty of mixed driving (300+ mile road trips, around town, etc).
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
330Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
i passed an obd-II inspection (where they check for error codes, CEL, readiness being set, etc). all i had done was wire in an o2 sim into the ECU compartment. i bought the o2 sim from www.o2sim.com. works perfectly after 7k miles and plenty of mixed driving (300+ mile road trips, around town, etc).
so you mean the o2 sim will be a valid solution given that at least 7k miles are put on the car?
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • Shark Injector
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cole View Post
so you mean the o2 sim will be a valid solution given that at least 7k miles are put on the car?
yes, it worked for me. i have catless headers and i recently passed inspection.

lots of members think you need to go to elaborate lengths to set readiness (i.e. use the innovative LC-1). i passed just fine with the $50 o2 sim. PM me if you have additional questions, i can help you identify the wires that you need to tap into on the ECU harness.

i did it that way, instead of on the actual o2 sensor wires, in case i ever need to change out the o2 sensors. plus, it seems to work better from my experience.
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
Hi did your order from o2sim.com come fast. Its taking them forever. Thanks

|ESS TS2|Bimmerbrakes Powdercoated Headers|MB Quart|Memphis|3.46 DIFF
//M3 Control Arms|Orion V2 LED|6K D2S|8K Fogs|//M3 Shift Knob|Eurospec Hamann Front Lip|OEM Cross Drilled Rotors|UUC Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel|Black Roof|VMR 710s|Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec|Hotchkis Front Sway
FULL I.C.E FOR SALE - PM ME FOR DETAILS (Only Serious Buyers Only)
e46craze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
330Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46craze View Post
Hi did your order from o2sim.com come fast. Its taking them forever. Thanks
havent ordered, sorry! i got wrapped up in brakes/coils and just bought an exhaust so headers have kind of taken the back seat.
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • Shark Injector
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
the issue was the the dme would set a code because it looks for a lean condition when you decelerate but because the o2 sims supplies one constant voltage it doesnt replicate that lean condition

i myself bought the LC-1 so i can get rid of my light since I dont wanna keep buying things that might work when I know for certain the LC-1 method will work

Last edited by Dino1394; 06-27-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Dino1394 is offline   Reply With Quote