E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #41
monkeyhead

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
As this article proves, Yahoo News is an oxymoron. It is nothing more than some idiot Journalism School Graduate that:
- Did not have the foresight 4 to 6 years ago to see that a career in Journalisim, working at a newspaper or a magazine, was about as useful as getting a degree in Typewriter Repair.
- Is a person that has no knowledge of the subject they are writing about
- Is also a person who is not actually not writing anything, but is just collecting snippets of articles written by people who also don't have a lot of knowledge of the particular subject they are writing about.

Seriously, Yahoo News just collects pieces of other websites articles, and strings them together into something that looks like it could be a news story. They don't interview people, they take a piece of an interview of a person, and then post a link to the actual interview. I particularly liked the advice that leaving a car idling while running into a store or coffee shop was bad for the environment. It is also bad for the car, if you want it to be there when you get back. This applies to about 2% of Americans who actually live in a town where there is not a single meth head that would jump into a running car and sell it for $50, which is like one Amish town in Ohio. Hell, even they have the sense to tie up their horses and buggies.
I agree that yahoo articles are what they are, but I wish people would post articles as to the claims they make. LOL on the horses and buggies

see one, do one, teach one
monkeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #42
kirky2k4

My Ride: E46 M3
Same problem revving to 4k in d and reverse and moving at 2-3 mph once warmed up running fine ,,,, help
kirky2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
monkeyhead

@Kirky ... my problem was not enough transmission oil,,,even after I changed it, I had was low 1 quart,,, filled it again on a level surface and problem resolved

Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #44
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
I had this same issue about a month back with my 325 @ 200k miles. Try to drive it to shop, and get the transmission range sensor checked. Should cost you like 100+ the price for the part. Don't worry, try throwing it into neutral, and just ramming the gas as well, just to warm it up, and once the car is a little warmer, shut it off, and start again, and the problem should be temporarily gone. But get that range sensor checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #45
pyroboy024

My Ride: '04 325Ci
-_- guys there is a sticky about this very issue and a very cool and crazy DIY fix for this... It has something to do with one of the Solenoids not building enough pressure to engage. The software fix BMW issued raises initial pressure and in theory should fix it... And no i am not talking about the TCC no reverse solenoid you will have to do a quick forum search but I promise it's there there is even an official BMW issued statement about this
pyroboy024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #46
PsychoCemia

My Ride: '05 330Ci ZHP
Throwing my hat into the ring:

330ci with GM tranny; 96,000 miles

I had this issue myself the past two weeks. I'd previously done a transmission fluid drain/fill with filter swap back at 70,000 miles using Redline D4 ATF. Worked great for 25,000 miles. Then had a cold snap (several nights in the 30s), and each morning the car would sit there (in D) for about 15 seconds before it felt like the transmission actually took hold. After warming up, everything was fine.

Reading up, looks like a software change could fix it (increase fluid pressure to the C1 clutch or something?). But since I was planning on doing a fluid refresh in the spring anyway, I did the drain/fill this past Friday. $51 for the filter/gasket, $32 for 7 quarts of SuperTech Dexron VI fluid. Since low fluid was likely an issue and the fill plug is toward the rear of the tranny pan, I raised the rear of the car up slightly higher than the front (about 2") when filling. Used about 6.25 quarts total, making sure to go through P-R-N-D-N-R-P several times (slowly) while everything was warming up.

I've had no issues in the mornings since. Transmission picks right up at the turn of the key. If it becomes an issue again during the winter, I'll drop the $100 or whatever to get the dealer to reprogram the tranny, but (fingers crossed) it looks like the fluid change did the trick.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #47
Eteck

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCemia View Post
, I raised the rear of the car up slightly higher than the front (about 2") when filling.
This is an important point, use a level to be sure the transmission is level when filling it. You must put the level on the lip of the pan where the bolts squeeze down on the gasket to measure it level, the belly of the pan itself is misshapen and slanted for fluid purposes.

This is probably the biggest reason people have them underfull. I did mine for this same reason lately and I noticed this about leveling.
Eteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #48
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_wx View Post
car is at 70,000 miles, kinda nervous about doing a transmission fluid change at this point. How can I check if Im leaking or low on fluid?
70K is a good time to change the fluid. Now if your car had more like 130K then I would understand your hesitation.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #49
monkeyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
70K is a good time to change the fluid. Now if your car had more like 130K then I would understand your hesitation.
believe it or not, I did my first transmission fluid change at 175K, cars runs great,,,i didn't listen to the myths, didn't hesitate,,,car now just hit 200K and going strong, running better than before the change, i am glad i did it

Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #50
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
I did my first change at 120K and so far smooth as silk too.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote