E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #4281
Goondaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,129
My Ride: 2002 325ci
Ah give him a break. The hot4s craze got a few unspecting people caught up in the mix, not knowing what was good for them. Speaking of which, whatever happened to all those crazy airbrushed, slammed, bling, multi- subwoofer 4 bangers that we used to see? Did they all move on to Stanceworks and the like?
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #4282
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goondaddy View Post
Ah give him a break. The hot4s craze got a few unspecting people caught up in the mix, not knowing what was good for them. Speaking of which, whatever happened to all those crazy airbrushed, slammed, bling, multi- subwoofer 4 bangers that we used to see? Did they all move on to Stanceworks and the like?
I wonder if 'hellaflush' will ever go out of fashion and all the cool kids will start putting 22X7.5 ET50 dinner plates back on..
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #4283
infini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,141
My Ride: BMW 325Ci M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I wonder if 'hellaflush' will ever go out of fashion and all the cool kids will start putting 22X7.5 ET50 dinner plates back on..
hella flush will die in about a year or 2 I reckon.

Stretched tyres have been around on *** cars for a long time though.

I liked the eg except for the sticker bombing on the rocker cover.

Welcome to the forums buddy!
__________________
<a href=http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/quachy1/media/e46%20SAM%20meet%2009-12-2012/_DSC0940.jpg.html target=_blank><img src=http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/quachy1/e46%20SAM%20meet%2009-12-2012/_DSC0940.jpg border=0 alt= /></a>
infini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #4284
Miss325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,994
My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschultheiss View Post
Here's a couple of pics i've taken with my iphone.


I've always like the full black roundels
__________________
Miss325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #4285
YGOAMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Riverside: Melbourne
Posts: 11,875
My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I wonder if 'hellaflush' will ever go out of fashion and all the cool kids will start putting 22X7.5 ET50 dinner plates back on..
Ofcourse it will..

These fads happen when people take things too far.
For instance, wide wheels and aggressive fitment will always be in fashion .
But people taking it over the edge (pun intended) will eventually go out of vogue.

Same thing happened with chrome. Small amounts of chrome is classic.
Chrome plating every assessory is no longer cool.

Same thing has happened with CF as of late.

Cannon mufflers .., etc etc
__________________

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #4286
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Ofcourse it will..

These fads happen when people take things too far.
For instance, wide wheels and aggressive fitment will always be in fashion .
But people taking it over the edge (pun intended) will eventually go out of vogue.

Same thing happened with chrome. Small amounts of chrome is classic.
Chrome plating every assessory is no longer cool.

Same thing has happened with CF as of late.

Cannon mufflers .., etc etc
I'm just waiting for it to be cool to rep a stock car...
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #4287
zha50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.E Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 180
My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
Retrofit I was completing last night .... So much harder to fit it in than i thought.

Projector still sits a little low in relation to the fixed shroud but it does not affect the light output for the distance (foreground is slightly cut out. Nothing a fog light wont fill up.

Wonder if the shroud would heat up too much / meltt tho being beamed constantly. Maybe just use it and see?

The light output and cutoff is just awesome! Purple flicker too! 5000K Morimotos, cheapies.



The "step" and cut-off with the purple fringe.


No glare above cutoff


Purple flicker inside the cutoff area
__________________


'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #4288
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zha50 View Post
Retrofit I was completing last night .... So much harder to fit it in than i thought.

Projector still sits a little low in relation to the fixed shroud but it does not affect the light output for the distance (foreground is slightly cut out. Nothing a fog light wont fill up.

Wonder if the shroud would heat up too much / meltt tho being beamed constantly. Maybe just use it and see?

The light output and cutoff is just awesome! Purple flicker too! 5000K Morimotos, cheapies.



The "step" and cut-off with the purple fringe.


No glare above cutoff


Purple flicker inside the cutoff area
I'd try fix up the level if possible. It will forever annoy you and no doubt people will comment on it

Also, it will completely fk your highbeam output as the high and low angle are adjusted together.

I don't even know if your headlight will adjust high enough to have a proper output with your projector at that angle. Be very careful when adjusting as you can easily break the adjustment if you go too high.
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #4289
zha50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.E Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 180
My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I'd try fix up the level if possible. It will forever annoy you and no doubt people will comment on it

Also, it will completely fk your highbeam output as the high and low angle are adjusted together.

I don't even know if your headlight will adjust high enough to have a proper output with your projector at that angle. Be very careful when adjusting as you can easily break the adjustment if you go too high.
Mmmm. I have the Xenon's solenoid linked with the highbeam atm. So the Xenon will be properly aimed for the least.

The actual angle of the projector is correct. It parallel to the face of the headlight frame inside. The issue is the height of the FX-R there is not a lot of room left to dremel away to raise the entire projector. Facelift coupe headlights are relatively TINY!

It maybe possible. Its lightly glued in and some zip ties to further hold it to the frame right now. Maybe one day i'll get round to try and mount it higher.

The pic of the lens I don't think that was a aim'ed headlight. I just put everything together and IIRC all the adjusters had to be at the limit to take/put it back together.

At least right now a small aesthetic tradeoff for a 100x improvement in lighting.

EDIT:


Thats how much space is left in the frame. I guess the pegs can go then i can move the projector up maybe another 0.25cm however even right now the back of the projector is getting near the ceiling of the housing ...

Guess it was a big challenge going right too FX-R's and not a mini D2S
__________________


'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -

Last edited by zha50; 11-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #4290
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Ahh I thought it was on an angle. Guess that's not as bad then.

There is plenty of room to dremmel there though. Also if you have a look at the DIYs for pre-facelift coupes they say to shave the top of the FX-R off. I reckon with a touch more modding you could get it to be 100%

Also. Wouldn't recommend glue. Use some high temp epoxy. You'll only melt glue over time.
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #4291
zha50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.E Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 180
My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
Yeah. I will aim them tonight and see where the lenses sit.

There is a little more room to go up and it would be 100% like you said.

At the moment I just used some Selleys Quik Grip, only gap filling glue i had and its OK up to 130*c.

I might tackle it again this weekend. Did both headlights in a over-nighter so I guess not too bad effort!

I understand why people rave about this projector for the price. Light output is just brilliant.
__________________


'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #4292
Ballistic325
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,191
My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I'm just waiting for it to be cool to rep a stock car...
Me too

And nice work on your projectors, zha50
__________________

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.

Last edited by Ballistic325; 11-13-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #4293
E46 Coupe
Registered User
 
E46 Coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,017
My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Will
__________________
E46 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #4294
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zha50 View Post
Yeah. I will aim them tonight and see where the lenses sit.

There is a little more room to go up and it would be 100% like you said.

At the moment I just used some Selleys Quik Grip, only gap filling glue i had and its OK up to 130*c.

I might tackle it again this weekend. Did both headlights in a over-nighter so I guess not too bad effort!

I understand why people rave about this projector for the price. Light output is just brilliant.
Yeah it's a b!tch of a job but they provide epic output. My only complaint is that due to the cut off being so good they are crap when you're coming towards the bottom of a hill be it on the incline or decline you end up shooting light and the bottom of the hill. It's only for a split second though and you probably still have more light than most cars..

Having said that though, when I do mountain runs at night I use the high beams and FK me it's like that switch should be relabelled "Day time"
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #4295
DamoBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 745
My Ride: '02 325Ci M-Sport
Hey Declan, could you please link me the DIY you followed for the FXR projectors.
Planning to do this eventually too
__________________
'02 BMW 325Ci 5MT M-Sport Individual Stratus Grey
DamoBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #4296
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoBMW View Post
Hey Declan, could you please link me the DIY you followed for the FXR projectors.
Planning to do this eventually too
See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E46 FX-R DIY (1).pdf (3.16 MB, 49 views)
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #4297
DamoBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 745
My Ride: '02 325Ci M-Sport
Sweet, thanks
__________________
'02 BMW 325Ci 5MT M-Sport Individual Stratus Grey
DamoBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #4298
zha50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.E Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 180
My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
Adjusted and aimed it last night. Still looks a little low could be higher for a 100% fit. The beam pattern is not affected by the should.



I might tackle them tonight again, bake them open and do some more cutting move the projector slightly higher so it sits 100%. It is actually sitting a little further back into the housing than the original projector. Don't think it would matter aesthetically too much once it is centered.

Noticed rotational alignment is still off by a few degrees between each projector, close but not perfect .... Still also need to look at the direction of the headlight not sure about the distance between the steps.


__________________


'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -

Last edited by zha50; 11-14-2012 at 04:44 PM.
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #4299
zha50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: S.E Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 180
My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
Redid the retrofit last night. MUCH better fitment now!





Dat cutoff!
__________________


'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #4300
DeclanM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,359
My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zha50 View Post
Redid the retrofit last night. MUCH better fitment now!





Dat cutoff!
Much better! It's a cu** of a job but you're so much happier when you've done it right hey?
__________________


DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use