E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #41
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I've never tried their coffee. Next time I go, I'll be sure to buy some beans and see how they are.

To be honest, I don't have very high expectations, but maybe it's better that way. I may very well be surprised.
Have you ever had their brewed coffee? It is the best I've ever had. I've had some terrific coffee when I went to Europe and Costa Rica when I was younger too. The Whole Foods brew is delicious. For some reason when I buy the beans I can't replicate the taste though.

This means nothing to me, but I hear they use "forced air or fluid bed" roasters. Is that good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Wes I have a question and you seem like someone who'd know. I've been searching for a variable displacement container for holding beans at room temp. Ideally a glass cylinder with a plunger and seal, so that every time you closed it there'd be as little air as possible. Tried vacuum bags and they just don't cut it.

Everywhere I've looked, brick and cyber, I find nothing! Can you think of anywhere else to try?
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Friis-16-Ounce...s=coffee+vault

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #42
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Once you open the bag air gets in. That will stale the beans.

I have a container that actually forces the air out for storage.

Typically once u open it u should use it within two weeks.

Again this is more for coffee snobs and maybe u don't care nor taste the difference.

I also don't add sugar or flavored creamers to coffee as that would defeat the purpose of a good roast of beans.

Also check the date when it's roasted.

The good shops will have roasts within a week or two of your purchase
Yeah, but I was replying to the blanket statement that roasted beans go bad after a week. I don't believe there's a difference between beans that have been roasted and stored in an oxygen free environment and freshly roasted beans. I'm looking for someone to explain how that would be possible.

And for the record - I am a coffee enthusiast. We have 5 different coffee makers at home that get used regularly (and 2 others that get used a few times a year) and we roast our own beans from time to time. Freshly roasted coffee is great - but I think that's entirely because of the great smell of roasting coffee that puts you in a coffee enjoying mood.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I love coffee. Now I drink espresso (lavazza most of the time).

When I ground my coffee I used either DD or Colombian Supremo...grind for 15 secs and used a french press. Don't boil the water...should be below boiling temp...let it steep for a few minutes and then press.

I'd only get a pound at a time and store in an airtight container...but not a vacuum container...I know that makes me a bad person!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That looks close. But even though it's sealed and one-way vented, once you use up 3/4 of the beans, the remaining amount gets sealed in with lots of air. I'm talking about a container that shrinks in size as you take out the coffee.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #45
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
Wes I have a question and you seem like someone who'd know. I've been searching for a variable displacement container for holding beans at room temp. Ideally a glass cylinder with a plunger and seal, so that every time you closed it there'd be as little air as possible. Tried vacuum bags and they just don't cut it.

Everywhere I've looked, brick and cyber, I find nothing! Can you think of anywhere else to try?
I'm not sure. Any air-tight container will be ok. The most important thing is for you to use the beans as quickly as possible. Like I said, 1-2 weeks is acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Exactly how do those bulk roasted beans go bad after a week? The stuff you buy at Costco is bulk roasted and then sealed in oxygen free packaging. They displace all the oxygen with nitrogen - and without oxygen, exactly how are they going to go bad? It's not like bacteria is a factor.

Fun fact for the day - did you know that many of the apples you see at the supermarket were picked well over a year ago? They seal them up in an oxygen free environment and they keep just fine for up to 2 years or so.
It's not so much the fact that the beans are bulk roasted, but who is doing the roasting. All the big companies do not pay close attention to their roasting methods. They are more concerned with the production process and maximizing their output. Why? Because most people do not know the difference between fresh, properly roasted coffee and mass-produced crap.

Sealing coffee will no doubt keep it fresh longer than leaving it out in the open, but if you go through coffee quickly, there is no point in doing this.

Read the link that I posed for ZHP. It's interesting (http://www.coffeeam.com/coffee-storage.html). Coffee beans release CO2. They should rest before sealing them, but again, if you go through coffee quickly like I do, there is no point. I suppose if you pay attention to how you seal the coffee, you can keep it fresh for a while, but none of the big companies do this. That is why I like small, independent roasters. They pay very close attention to the roasting process and make sure that everything is as good as it can possibly be.

Quote:
Have you ever had their brewed coffee? It is the best I've ever had. I've had some terrific coffee when I went to Europe and Costa Rica when I was younger too. The Whole Foods brew is delicious. For some reason when I buy the beans I can't replicate the taste though.

This means nothing to me, but I hear they use "forced air or fluid bed" roasters. Is that good?
I haven't. I've tried their iced coffee and it wasn't good, but I assume that it had been sitting for hours. Any good coffee shop will brew each cup of coffee individually, not make some huge batch and have it sit there.

Quote:
That's pretty neat.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
Wes

FWIW, I do think cheap coffee has its place.

I use TJ French Roast for Vietnamese-style coffee

Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Yeah, but I was replying to the blanket statement that roasted beans go bad after a week. I don't believe there's a difference between beans that have been roasted and stored in an oxygen free environment and freshly roasted beans. I'm looking for someone to explain how that would be possible.

And for the record - I am a coffee enthusiast. We have 5 different coffee makers at home that get used regularly (and 2 others that get used a few times a year) and we roast our own beans from time to time. Freshly roasted coffee is great - but I think that's entirely because of the great smell of roasting coffee that puts you in a coffee enjoying mood.
You, sir, are a savvy consumer, that can separate facts from myth.
Explaining how contact with oxigen can degrade coffee is easy. The myth part is that one can consistently tell which one is the degraded coffee in a blind taste off.
Give this man a cookie.

Last edited by Master Po; 11-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #48
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
You, sir, are a savvy consumer, that can separate facts from myth.
Explaining how contact with oxigen can degrade coffee is easy. The myth part is that one can consistently tell which one is the degraded coffee in a blind taste off.
Give this man a cookie.
I'll admit if you serve me a random cup off coffee I won't be able to tell you if its fresh or not (within reasonable limits. If you leave that ****er out for 4 years - yeah ill know). The big deal is when you have one roast that you consistently use eg. my usual crap is the Starbucks pike roast. I drink enough of it that I can tell when it's been sitting for a few weeks. I go through coffee frequently enough not to need a fancy airtight storage container. Usually we just keep it in the bag and grind what we need before serving.. However we had a bag that sat for two months while we went on vacation (and then came back with a couple lbs of local beans). We made one pot of the usual, and tossed the rest.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #49
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:

interesting - is that difficult to do? roast?

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #50
Wes

Quote:
The myth part is that one can consistently tell which one is the degraded coffee in a blind taste off.
I'd be willing to accept that challenge. I've been enjoying coffee long enough that I can differentiate between freshly roasted coffee and something that is old.

There have been a few cases where I've left my coffee for a few weeks (when I go out of town, for example) and when I brewed it, I could immediately tell that the coffee lost a lot of its flavor.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #51
Master Po

Quote:
I'd be willing to accept that challenge. I've been enjoying coffee long enough that I can differentiate between freshly roasted coffee and something that is old.

There have been a few cases where I've left my coffee for a few weeks (when I go out of town, for example) and when I brewed it, I could immediately tell that the coffee lost a lot of its flavor.
ever heard of placebo effect?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #52
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
love me some jamaican blue mountain!
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #53
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
interesting - is that difficult to do? roast?
My wife has one of these: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmari...ast/sr500.html

It's easy and does a pretty decent job. It's basically like a popcorn air-popper. It makes tiny batches of roasted coffee - like just a few pots worth at a time.

Some people actually use popcorn poppers to roast coffee. Other people use a metal dog dish and a heat gun - and manually stir the beans with a long spoon.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #54
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
BBoTE http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-bla...ote-vs-coffee/

Dont be a pussy.

Yes I have two 1L bottles of it, they're almost finished so I'll order 2 more soon. 1 Death Wish and 1 Sumatra
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #55
Wes

Quote:
ever heard of placebo effect?
Is it so hard to accept that I can tell the difference between good and bad coffee?

What's next? You're going to tell me that a prime steak and select steak taste the same?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #56
Master Po

Quote:
Is it so hard to accept that I can tell the difference between good and bad coffee?

What's next? You're going to tell me that a prime steak and select steak taste the same?
Your words, not mine.
I never said anything about bad or good coffee, let alone steaks.

I doubt that one can tell the difference between a 1 week old grind and a 2 week old grind of the same coffee, under scientifically accepted testing methods.
Well, maybe a well trained pro could, but 99.99% of the population can't.
It's just not worth spending extra money on such things, unless you're that pro, in which case you should be working at the commodities exchange floor.

Last edited by Master Po; 11-13-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #57
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
well, after some thought i decided to return and get a capresso burr grinder and a cuisinart dcc1200

saved $75 in the process and i'm sure having them separate will be less problems in the long run

now it's bean time ,lol

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 11-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #58
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
Have you ever tried Cat poop coffee? Apparently its very expensive stuff! Tried it in China and it was expensive but very smooth!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #59
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
Have you ever tried Cat poop coffee? Apparently its very expensive stuff! Tried it in China and it was expensive but very smooth!

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #60
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
Good gawd, the bad advice in this thread rivals the "What TV should I buy" threads. I'm no coffee enthusiast but enjoy a good cup of coffee none-the-less. Look, fellas... there are some basics that are told here that some of you just seem to be fighting. You mofos are arguing about 1 week coffee vs 2 week coffee. Here is what you should take away from this thread; I'm going to save you the time...

- get whole beans instead of ground coffee.
- get a good burr grinder (I have the bodum one but I hear the Capresso one is good too)
- just get about one or two weeks worth.
- find a local coffee roaster or at least try and find different coffees until you find one you love.
- find the way you like to make the coffee... machine? french press? pour over? expresso?
- a good cup of coffee needs very little cream or sugar, if any.

Personally, I'm still looking for good coffee and have just started to investigate the local roasters in my area. I have liked Peet's coffee (the major Dickinson Blend and also the Sumatra... the Columbian is also good).