E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
Look everywhere - CL search engines, eBay, BMW sites, etc. Took me about three or four months to find mine, on eBay as it turned out. Almost as tough as the search was convincing my wife to go on a road trip to PA to fetch the wagon I eventually found.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
I got lucky. Was ready to fly to Texas when the car I ended up purchasing popped up ~150 miles away.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #23
winstontj

My Ride: a car
Well I'll go buy a lottery ticket. If I win I'll buy any old e46 touring as well as an e46 m3 and convert over the ///M's engine and suspension to the touring... If not I'll just sit tight and keep looking.

Wish these things were easier to find.
winstontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Tricked 323i

My Ride: Bimmers
I have a 323 touring, I bought it 4 years ago with 119k on it. Black/black 5 speed sport package. I looked for over 6 months for one, and finally drove from Atlanta to DC to pick it up. I have several other bimmers and by far one of my favorites. Basically a detuned 2.5 so the gas mileage is great. The 323 manuals seem to be easier to find.
Kevin

"Quality and Consistency are the major keys to Success"
2000 323 touring 5 speed soon to be modded along with Alpina/Alcantara interior.
Tricked 323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
a2coupe2a

My Ride: 325it
I got lucky when i found mine. After i picked it up i found threads from 2 people on two different forums ready to fly out and get it. Very happy that i grabbed it when i did.
a2coupe2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #26
winstontj

Well it's good news and encouraging that they are worth it but then again it's a bit discouraging that I may be looking for another 6-9 months for one.

I'm not against a 323 or 325, if the gas mileage is better with a 323 and they seem to be a bit easier to find then that seems like a better deal to me.

Are the Kelly Blue Book prices somewhat close for these things or do they go for a premium over the used private party sales prices? Just trying to budget and know what to expect. When I find one I just want to be prepared to buy the thing and not worry about haggling over the price, I want to know what they are worth, pay it and get the car.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
a2coupe2a

They seem to range between 7-12k depending on year, miles, condition, and location.

Last edited by a2coupe2a; 10-19-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #28
winstontj

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2coupe2a View Post
They seem to range between 7-12k depending on year, miles, condition, and location.
Thx. I was wondering because the KBB values for 323's says that a 2001 in excellent condition would go for about $8k and it goes up from there (for dealer prices). For used prices it gets as low as $4500 for some models.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
Tricked 323i

My Ride: Bimmers
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstontj View Post
Thx. I was wondering because the KBB values for 323's says that a 2001 in excellent condition would go for about $8k and it goes up from there (for dealer prices). For used prices it gets as low as $4500 for some models.
I buy and sell cars with a buddy of mine. I have not seen any 5 speeds at auction. I will keep an eye out for you though, will shoot you a PM if I come across one.
CL is your best bet. A month ago there was a touring here in Atlanta on CL. 323 silver manual sport wagon 6+K. They are around just make sure you have funds when they come up.
Kevin

"Quality and Consistency are the major keys to Success"
2000 323 touring 5 speed soon to be modded along with Alpina/Alcantara interior.
Tricked 323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #30
a2coupe2a

Quote:
You arent going to find a well maintained 5spd for under 7 and if you do you are very lucky. I havent even seen the auto's go for 4500, but then again im on the west coast and our cars tend to hold more value.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #31
winstontj

There is an automatic on eBay right now and I'm tempted but I really don't want to be doing a transmission swap on one of these things since it'll be my DD.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #32
sunsetcoast

Quote:
I'm not against a 323 or 325, if the gas mileage is better with a 323 and they seem to be a bit easier to find.
Hmm. You don't really have to say '00 323iT since there was only one model year of 323 Touring. That said, it seemed to me that a greater percentage of 323s were manual vs the later 325s.

Quote:
I want to know what they are worth, pay it and get the car.
Well, cars, like anything else, are worth what someone will pay for them. The national valuators (NADA, Kelley, Edmunds, etc.) are generally pretty close. I suspect there is a reason for this, although the "private-party" value is likely to vary the most.

To your advantage, in many parts of the country, we're entering the season when you might have a bit of an advantage, in general: RWD is not in demand in winter.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #33
a2coupe2a

I dont know if too many people will be getting rid of the car due to it being rwd in winter. Honestly of all the vehicles i have ever owned my touring was the best i have driven in the snow apart from my audi.

Stability control, brake assist and a nice winter tire makes nasty conditions minor speedbumps.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
winstontj

Quote:
I dont know if too many people will be getting rid of the car due to it being rwd in winter. Honestly of all the vehicles i have ever owned my touring was the best i have driven in the snow apart from my audi.

Stability control, brake assist and a nice winter tire makes nasty conditions minor speedbumps.
+1

I used to live in Vermont at a ski area for many years and I had an old land rover (1970 Series IIa) and a 1981 320ia (automatic e21) and the automatic BMW was actually as good, if not better in the snow than the land rover was. A set of decent studded snows and a bag of sand does wonders.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Not so much that people get rid of them in winter. Rather, AWD and FWD are more in demand by the general public. That which is in lower demand commands a lower price. Advantage = buyer.

People think winter driving is about getting started. And, other things equal, FWD is better there (except when pointed up hill). For just about everything else however...

I learned how to drive in winter on a RWD vehicle. I still prefer RWD in the snow over FWD, if for no other reason that I prefer not having only one axle tasked with the steering, braking, and accelerating while the other end, typically more lightly weighted, just holds up the rest of the car.

Add to that, the fact that many people who learned to drive after the mid-80s (the majority of drivers) may have never been behind the wheel of a RWD vehicle, never mind in winter. And, until about 10 years ago, automakers have advertised the benefits of FWD. Many people havedrunk that FWD Kool-Aid. So they tend to shy away from buying them in winter.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #36
Kiwikid

My Ride: Honda Accord V6
I saw a 330 touring with 6-speed manual box last Christmas here, in New Zealand. Black with black leather. Phoned dealer twice from my holiday place and never got a reply. Suspect he sold it in minutes. Not seen ONE since. Weep. And there are a lot of BMWs in New Zealand. So, they exist, bur rare as hens teeth. Suggest you might contact big dealers and ask the workshop manager if they get any in and, if so, would they put you and owner in contact?
Kiwikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #37
johntrhodes81

My Ride: 2004 325i Wagon
The last couple of years you could order a 6 spd SMG touring. I ordered a manual when I got my 2004 though.

I have never seen one but would be interested to know how many SMG tourings came to the USA.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

DIY BMW Performance Style Extra Air Intake
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6523&highlight
johntrhodes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #38
h2obimmer

My Ride: 2005 M3, 2002 XiT
i Just got back from buying a 5spd 325xit
flew up to Boston, Ma and drove it back to Baton Rouge, La

3 days
12 states
27 hours
1600+ miles

drove great the whole way and the AWD def helped in the snow and rain.
however, i live in the south where AWD isn't necessary. hope i didn't make a bad decision by jumping on this great deal when it came up. reading this thread is making me wonder if i should have kept searching for a RWD instead. anyone wanna make me feel better about my AWD purchase :/
h2obimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #39
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
You want
325i
RWD
Manual
Sport package(very rare)
I scoured craigslist for 2-3 months and found the above described wagon. Mine is a 2001 and when found, it had only 60,000miles on it.
The only mod I did right away was I ditched the 3.46 rear diff and got a rear diff from a 325xi stick with a ratio of 3.23. The car is perfect on the freeway now and I didn't sacrifice much acceleration power.
I got rid of the spoke wheels and went with a square set up of style 68 wheels. LOVE it more every time I drive it. I paid a little over $9,000 for it due to condition, LOW miles, same owner from when the car had only 10,000 miles on it and the owner had ALL service and repair records on the car. Car is silver with gray leather sport package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1928 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	540408  
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #40
mikeetastic

My Ride: 333ii
Got one but its auto for 3k.. 160k miles.. I'll just swap it to 5speed stick after the weather warms up a bit..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote