E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
PrecisionX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 368
My Ride: 2002 330CI
Who is running a 17x9?

I'm thinking of getting wheels in 17x9 squared. I'm looking for reviews in regard to asthetics and performance as well as tire size I can/should run.

Stock Sport suspension (for now)
__________________
PrecisionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
ModBargains III
Sponsor
 
ModBargains III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: La Habra, CA
Posts: 770
My Ride: E46
I've got guys running 17x9 ET41 offset D-Force LTW wheels for sure. If anybody goes with anything 17" that's aftermarket, 80% chance it'll be these wheels here, which I have in stock right now


*BMW D-Force LTW5 Wheels | Lightweight | In Stock

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
__________________
Eric Lambert|Eric@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330 ext. 8011
We Specialize In:
BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Joe@ApexRaceParts
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 116
My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
I'm thinking of getting wheels in 17x9 squared. I'm looking for reviews in regard to asthetics and performance as well as tire size I can/should run.

Stock Sport suspension (for now)
Your car in it's current state (stock suspension) can easily fit our 17x9" ET42 ARC-8 wheels with 245/40/17 tires. This would be a direct fit and would not need wheel spacers, fender rolling, or any other modifications. Down the road if you were looking for an even wider tire you could go with a 255/40/17. Depending on the type of tire that you end up using a wheel spacer may be needed in the front and a little bit more negative camber achieved through pulling the alignment pins on your stock strut mounts.


17x9" ET42 ARC-8 in Hyper Silver with 255/40/17 Nitto NT05 tires and a small 5mm front wheel spacer.

17x9" ET42 ARC-8 in Hyper Black with 245/40/17 Dunlop Star Spec tires.

Last edited by Joe@ApexRaceParts; 11-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Joe@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
PrecisionX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 368
My Ride: 2002 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@ApexRaceParts View Post
Your car in it's current state (stock suspension) can easily fit our 17x9" ET42 ARC-8 wheels with 245/40/17 tires. This would be a direct fit and would not need wheel spacers, fender rolling, or any other modifications. Down the road if you were looking for an even wider tire you could go with a 255/40/17. Depending on the type of tire that you end up using a wheel spacer may be needed in the front and a little bit more negative camber achieved through pulling the alignment pins on your stock strut mounts.


17x9" ET42 ARC-8 in Hyper Silver with 255/40/17 Nitto NT05 tires and a small 5mm front wheel spacer.

17x9" ET42 ARC-8 in Hyper Black with 245/40/17 Dunlop Star Spec tires.
Do you have any more pics of 17x9? If you dont have more pics in 17x9 how about 18? If I were to go with 18s squared should I go with an 8.5 width? or still a 9 inch?
__________________
PrecisionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Joe@ApexRaceParts
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 116
My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
Do you have any more pics of 17x9? If you dont have more pics in 17x9 how about 18? If I were to go with 18s squared should I go with an 8.5 width? or still a 9 inch?
Since you have stock suspension I would recommend the 8.5" width 18" wheel. It has the same face as the 9" width wheel but is just slightly narrower. You could use a 245/35/18 tire all around with your stock suspension. The 18x9" ET42 is usually only for those looking to use a 255/35/18 tire all the way around with the ability to obtain more negative camber in the front with camber plates. Also a 245/35/18 tire would look quite stretched on a 9" wide wheel. The 18x8.5" ET38 is about .5 lb lighter per wheel. The 18x8.5" is a versatile wheel because you can still mount a 255/35/18 tire on it down the road with no ill effects.


17x9" ET42 ARC-8's in Hyper Silver with 245/40/17 tires.


17x9" ET42 ARC-8's in Hyper Silver with 245/40/17 tires.

Unfortunately the only 18" pictures we have at this time are using 18x9" ET42 wheels but the 18x8.5" ET38 looks almost exactly the same with a flat wheel face.


18x9" ET42 with 255/35/18 tires and negative camber in the front.

18x9" ET42 with 255/35/18 tires and negative camber in the front.
Joe@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
PrecisionX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 368
My Ride: 2002 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@ApexRaceParts View Post
Since you have stock suspension I would recommend the 8.5" width 18" wheel. It has the same face as the 9" width wheel but is just slightly narrower. You could use a 245/35/18 tire all around with your stock suspension. The 18x9" ET42 is usually only for those looking to use a 255/35/18 tire all the way around with the ability to obtain more negative camber in the front with camber plates. Also a 245/35/18 tire would look quite stretched on a 9" wide wheel. The 18x8.5" ET38 is about .5 lb lighter per wheel. The 18x8.5" is a versatile wheel because you can still mount a 255/35/18 tire on it down the road with no ill effects.


17x9" ET42 ARC-8's in Hyper Silver with 245/40/17 tires.


17x9" ET42 ARC-8's in Hyper Silver with 245/40/17 tires.

Unfortunately the only 18" pictures we have at this time are using 18x9" ET42 wheels but the 18x8.5" ET38 looks almost exactly the same with a flat wheel face.


18x9" ET42 with 255/35/18 tires and negative camber in the front.

18x9" ET42 with 255/35/18 tires and negative camber in the front.
Ok so 18x8.5 will be fine for stock but not so much the 9 wide... will the 18x8.5 still work if I am lowered on that wheel/tire combo? I want something to look good while I'm on stock suspension but still work when my suspension craps out and needs an overhaul, that is when I will be lowering it.
__________________
PrecisionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Joe@ApexRaceParts
Past Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 116
My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionX View Post
Ok so 18x8.5 will be fine for stock but not so much the 9 wide... will the 18x8.5 still work if I am lowered on that wheel/tire combo? I want something to look good while I'm on stock suspension but still work when my suspension craps out and needs an overhaul, that is when I will be lowering it.
The 18x8.5" is a very versatile wheel because it works just as well on stock suspension as it does on an aftermarket suspension. It also accepts a variety of tire sizes but if you are using a square fitment we like to see a 245/35/18 tire being used. The 18x9" ET42 could use a 245/35/18 tire as well but the tire's sidewalls will look stretched. If you go with a wider 255/35/18 tire, regardless of stock suspension or aftermarket, you will need at least a 5mm wheel spacer to clear the strut tube. With the wider wheel and 255/35/18 tire you will need more negative camber obtained through either pulling th alignment pins on your stock strut mounts or installing camber plates. The 18x9" ET42 is not exactly a direct fit for your car, where the 18x8.5" ET38 is, but it can be very easily made to work with attention paid to strut clearance and careful selection of aftermarket suspension. Some coilovers are equipped with cone shaped progressive springs limiting the space for the front wheel and tire, requiring a larger wheel spacer, and thus requiring more negative camber to clear the fender.
Joe@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use