E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
99_323i_Steve

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Engine Bay Noise...Shocking

Well, just a heads up on recent work done. Completed the full coolant flush and new thermostat,water pump, radiator, and ET around 85,000(I'm now at 101k).

Replaced vehicle with all new pulleys, belts, tensioners, and alternator also withinin the last 5k.

Sounds like it would be bad water pump bearings but...water pump is less than 16k miles used...so than i am assuming is it the water pump plastic pulley causing this noise? sounds almost like metal spinning oddly when sitting inside the car. Outside of the car its not as noticable because of the engine and belt noise.

When driving or accelerating it is noticable that its rotating faster, car has no over-heating issue as i followed mangos thread to the T on the coolant rebuild. any insight or people that have experienced something similar, feel free to chime in.

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
99_323i_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
Possible alternator whine?
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
99_323i_Steve

alternator whine is more of a high pitch noise I have more of a metal noise...

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
99_323i_Steve

it sounds similar to the videos that have pulley issues but it's not the pulleys they are all brand new and so are the tensioners

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
328iguy24

My Ride: e46 328i
I had a similar situation.. i replaced all the pulleys water pump and belts to find out that it was the actual tensioner its self. But you had stated you replaced it already.

heres a video of what mine sounded like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_EjWeGO4n6g
328iguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
99_323i_Steve

see that noise sounds almost exactly what it sounds like. Its odd tho because I've already replaced my mechanical AC tensioner but I don't have a tensioner for my serpentine belt...

Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_323i_Steve View Post
see that noise sounds almost exactly what it sounds like. Its odd tho because I've already replaced my mechanical AC tensioner but I don't have a tensioner for my serpentine belt...

Are you sure? I have a 330 so I know our engines are different but if you don't have a tensioner how is proper tension maintained? This just sounds wrong but I don't know...
Old 11-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
99_323i_Steve

I know what the tensioners look like the 1 I was looking for a do it yourself on how to remove the serpentine pulley I couldn't find a single picture that matched what my engine looked like because I didn't have any type of tensioner in place there I just had a bolt. I'll take a picture and upload it soon but it's kind of odd.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Good luck trying to guess his problem without hearing it first

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
99_323i_Steve

it sounds like every other pulley or belt issue that these cars have under the engine hood hence my post title.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
328iguy24

If you seen my video and you said it sounds almost exactly like mine.. I would suggest replacing these parts, obviously figure out which tensioner you have.

Last edited by 328iguy24; 11-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
99_323i_Steve

Thank u those pictures are great. Could u audibly recognize the noise from inside? Looks like the bolt I was referring to is indeed the mounting bolt to a hydraulic tensioner. Common to have one of each type of tensioner in these early e46s? Because that is something I have NOT replaced. Any special instructions for installing. Any pre tensioning since its hydraulic?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
99_323i_Steve

also can i place a mechanical tensioner in place of the hydraulic or can they not be reversable for positions? my a/c pulley is mechanical and my serpentine pulley is hydraulic

Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Ah! Turns out you were missing a tensioner. I knew I wasn't crazy.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
99_323i_Steve

i see the hydraulic tensioner is more efficient and thats why BMW switched to them but is it possible to use a mechanical? seems so much user friendly than a hydraulic would be.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
99_323i_Steve

UPDATE: replaced the hydraulic tensioner today, pretty straight-forward job, the car does run and idle much smoother, the sound im listening for is still slightly there but definetely not AS loud as previously. thanks for those pics, they helped me identify that indeed while doing pulleys, belts, and tensioners that i missed one.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
328iguy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_323i_Steve View Post
UPDATE: replaced the hydraulic tensioner today, pretty straight-forward job, the car does run and idle much smoother, the sound im listening for is still slightly there but definetely not AS loud as previously. thanks for those pics, they helped me identify that indeed while doing pulleys, belts, and tensioners that i missed one.
No problem. I replaced all mine and i still have a slight noise but thats because my acutal tenionser is going bad. I repaced everything else and now have to tear it back apart and replace that. lol
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
99_323i_Steve

Haha it never ends!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
StrawburryYumYum

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iguy24 View Post

If you seen my video and you said it sounds almost exactly like mine.. I would suggest replacing these parts, obviously figure out which tensioner you have.

How do you install the mechanical one in place of the hydraulic? The mounting of the hydraulic is flat and the mechanical is not??? I'm having trouble installing my new mechanical tensioner assembly.
StrawburryYumYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawburryYumYum View Post
How do you install the mechanical one in place of the hydraulic? The mounting of the hydraulic is flat and the mechanical is not??? I'm having trouble installing my new mechanical tensioner assembly.
I don't think you can go from hydraulic to mechanical tensioners. You can only upgrade from a mechanical to hydraulic, via a kit. But a downgrade to mechanical is not possible, and not really worth trying.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote