E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Exclamation Don't become a statistic!

Guya, my house was broken into last night. I had a security system about 15-20 years old, which still used standard phone lines. The burglars cut my phone line from my basment [ which does not have a padlock] smashed a window, and got into the house. guys, I kinda have a love for this community,so please take note, and don't make the same mistake that I did. Be proactive, and not reactive. get a newer system, and know how to use it. I know have a ADT system, and now the newer systems use a cellular [cellphone] signal. My phone line is repaired, and I'm back to normal, except for the door which is boarded up. I'm starting this thread because I feel like I should warn our community about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Were you at home?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
What was the mistake? Choice of neighborhood?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Security cameras and home insurance is for break in's when you're not home.
They want to get in... They are getting in. Best bet is to be able to identify them aferwards.

Now... You and your family might be home DURING a break in. You prepared for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
I'm very sorry to hear this, as someone who travels on business frequently and has a family I worry. I figure a large dog is still the worlds best deterrent but we cannot have one at present, just not practical.

Can I ask what your neighborhood is like? For instance I live in a smaller town in a very densely populated area. Our neighborhood is extremely safe (heavily policed, always people around and houses are close) but we are near some neighborhoods with tougher makeup, very near several major freeways (fast in fast out) and people know there's stuff here worth stealing. My wife doesn't shoot nor do I and I feel a gun would be a bigger theft likelihood than ever coming in handy. We have an alarm but I'm the only one who ever remembers to use it and at that typically only when we all go away on a vacation because otherwise there is almost always somebody here...

What to do...

Last edited by hizhinezz; 11-12-2012 at 11:21 PM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

Arm up brother. No neighborhood on this planet is immune to crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
I'm very sorry to hear this, as someone who travels on business frequently and has a family I worry. I figure a large dog is still the worlds best deterrent but we cannot have one at present, just not practical.

Can I ask what your neighborhood is like? For instance I live in a smaller town in a very densely populated area. Our neighborhood is extremely safe (heavily policed, always people around and houses are close) but we are near some neighborhoods with tougher makeup, very near several major freeways (fast in fast out) and people know there's stuff here worth stealing. My wife doesn't shoot nor do I and I feel a gun would be a bigger theft likelihood than ever coming in handy. We have an alarm but I'm the only one who ever remembers to use it and at that typically only when we all go away on a vacation because otherwise there is almost always somebody here...

What to do...
Buy a gun, learn to use it. And if you get a good safe your firearms aren't going anywhere.

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Honestly you need a 2jz

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus09 View Post
Were you at home?
Luckily no.

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
What was the mistake? Choice of neighborhood?
Having a 15 yr old system.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
I bought a couple of firearms for this specific reason. Learn and train to use one.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Security cameras and home insurance is for break in's when you're not home.
They want to get in... They are getting in. Best bet is to be able to identify them aferwards.

Now... You and your family might be home DURING a break in. You prepared for that?
lol Being in a Cash money business, my father carries a pistol, I have a taser, sister carries MACE, and Mom's got knives. - EVERYWHERE.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Buy a gun, learn to use it. And if you get a good safe your firearms aren't going anywhere.
If I'm travelling what good will that do me? Even if I'm at home unless someone is physically threatening myself or family member nothing I care about enough to kill someone they can have it as long as they're leaving and then they can deal with cops, me with insurance.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
hizhinezz
Outlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Honestly you need a 2jz
A Toyota engine?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
aahmed2016

Quote:

What to do...
My neighborhood in its own is a pretty good one, mostly people here are senior citizens, or lawyers and such, but the surrounding area is horrid. the thing is, the break in definitely wasn't spontaneous. They planned for a while, and followed my dad home a few times I believe. Lots of bits of information is adding up now, but I feel a bit more secure knowing I know have a few other people watching out for me- ADT all day.
As for what you should do, just make sure you are where you want to be in terms of, are you in a riskof being followed home? are there beak ins alot in your area? things like that. Hell, my uncle who's neighborhood's houses are an average of USD $1 Million had a burglary. Gated community and everything.

Quote:

Last edited by aahmed2016; 11-12-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
If I'm travelling what good will that do me? Even if I'm at home unless someone is physically threatening myself or family member nothing I care about enough to kill someone they can have it as long as they're leaving and then they can deal with cops, me with insurance.
So you would prefer to put you and your families well being on the hopes that some criminal decides not to kill you?

Not a good mindset

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #17
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

Arm up brother. No neighborhood on this planet is immune to crime
I hear you man.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #18
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
lol Being in a Cash money business, my father carries a pistol, I have a taser, sister carries MACE, and Mom's got knives. - EVERYWHERE.
Taser and MACE won't stop someone who is determined. It will piss them off.

As well, someone under the influence. These things can do little to stop a threat.

Quote:
God help you.

Too many stories I've heard of people cooperating with criminals, only to be executed, raped...etc after they get what they want.

Someone enters my house, they are going down. Someone on the street puts my life at danger, same thing is going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
So you would prefer to put you and your families well being on the hopes that some criminal decides not to kill you?

Not a good mindset
This.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus09 View Post
Taser and MACE won't stop someone who is determined. It will piss them off.

As well, someone under the influence. These things can do little to stop a threat.

God help you.

Too many stories I've heard of people cooperating with criminals, only to be executed, raped...etc after they get what they want.

Someone enters my house, they are going down. Someone on the street puts my life at danger, same thing is going to happen.

This.
I'm underaged for a gun, and my taser is a 2.5 m volt. I have a knife, god forbid me using it. but my dad and me hunt sometimes, and if the situation were to arise, I can make a shot.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #20
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Sorry to hear you had to experience one of my biggest fears.

Good post, about generic home security .

Quote:
First, a word about physical security: If someone wants to get into your house, they are going to get into your house. Period. If they want your stuff, they're going to get it. I have seen every single type of security system defeated. Burglars are good at it. This is what they think about every day. There are numerous ways to defeat physical barriers to entry. We have a saying, and that is "Locks only keep honest people out."
And now a word about alarms: 95% useless, in my opinion. A generic burglar alarm is a "cry wolf" machine. They go off all the time for no reason, to the point that 97% of the alarms we respond to are false. Therefore they get dropped to the lowest priority in terms of calls we respond to. In other words, if your burglar alarm goes off, we'll get there....eventually. Some people have more expensive "panic alarms" that can be activated by the homeowner, and their activation is supposed to signal that there is imminent danger. Those things we respond to with lights and sirens. And they're mostly accidental. The reason a panic alarm is mostly useless is because burglars, generally speaking, do not strike in the middle of the night when you're sleeping. They strike in the daytime, when you're not home and most of your neighbors aren't, either. The only type of alarm system I WOULD recommend is not one that's connected to an alarm company, but a loud audible one that makes a lot of noise. Most burglars aren't going to stick around with that kind of noise being made.
Now on to cameras. Here is how you make a camera a deterrent. You make it obvious. You set them up around the perimeter of your home, and you make it obvious that they're there. Maybe even post signs that say "Smile, you're on camera and it's being recorded remotely. Your picture has been saved forever." Again, it's not a guarantee that the person won't break in, but if they do, you have their image preserved.
I generally do not see a lot of burglaries of homes that have obvious camera systems installed. To me, as someone who sees an average of 7-10 burglary scenes a week, a camera system is your best bet in terms of deterrence.
As to which ones to get, I recommend this one:
http://www.costco.com/.product.10000...ViewCP#reviews
A bit pricey, but it has the best reviews.

Last edited by Cowspoo; 11-13-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Cowspoo is offline   Reply With Quote