E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #21
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
jesus, im gonna get another gun now.

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
My neighborhood in its own is a pretty good one, mostly people here are senior citizens, or lawyers and such, but the surrounding area is horrid. the thing is, the break in definitely wasn't spontaneous. They planned for a while, and followed my dad home a few times I believe. Lots of bits of information is adding up now, but I feel a bit more secure knowing I know have a few other people watching out for me- ADT all day.
As for what you should do, just make sure you are where you want to be in terms of, are you in a riskof being followed home? are there beak ins alot in your area? things like that. Hell, my uncle who's neighborhood's houses are an average of USD $1 Million had a burglary. Gated community and everything.
I understand having pride in ones community but look at the #'s in comparison. This place has a ton of red flags.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jonesboro-Georgia.html
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #23
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
This is why i have a german shepherd that is Police trained.

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #24
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: SG E46, AW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
I understand having pride in ones community but look at the #'s in comparison. This place has a ton of red flags.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jonesboro-Georgia.html

Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #25
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
Sorry to hear you had to experience one of my biggest fears.

Good post, about generic home security .
I can set up my own camera system, with wireless, and wired setups, and much cheaper than that. I'm thinking 8 cams, one at the front door, one aiming at the driveway/ cul de sac, one next to my garage, one at the back door, another covering the kitchen area, and one directly above my basement entry point. The system would be computer based, but NOT connected to the Internet. A purpose built insulated lockbox with a dedicated heat exhaust to get heat out. Like a one TB main hard drive, which will have its footage deleted at the end of the month, with a backup second 500-750 GB hard drive. This would all be secured into something that looks like a suitcase, so in the even of anyone actually getting there, itll look like the rest of the suitcases tere. I'll have the monitor kept separate, in order to save space. This was a wake up call, I'm diving head first into this stuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
pakman3

My Ride: piece
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Fatrusty

My Ride: '04 325i
I used to have a locksmith service and used to recommend a hard wired system.. not any more. I purchased a SimpliSafe system wireless system and am very happy with it. No hard wires, No long term contract. Can be installed in 30 minutes and you can use your smart phone. You own it and can move it if you do. Cost me $400 for everything and It is month to month for monitoring @ $23.. Highly recommend it!

Simplify.com

If you PM me I might be able to get you a discount with my referral...
Fatrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I've been wanting to do a camera install on my house but need to do a bit more research before I pull the trigger. I think 6-8 cameras would meet my needs and obviously I want it to be good enough quality to be able to identify someone if the need should arise.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

Arm up brother. No neighborhood on this planet is immune to crime
Lol. Yeah, none is immune but there's a big difference in crime between a 'hood and a neighborhood.

Let's compare the danger of crossing the street in front of an elementary school and running across a freeway. Sure, you could be struck and killed by a car in either situation, but the risk factor is much higher on the freeway.

IE: it is possible to greatly reduce your risk by picking a better location, whether it's a house or where you walk.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
I'm underaged for a gun, and my taser is a 2.5 m volt. I have a knife, god forbid me using it. but my dad and me hunt sometimes, and if the situation were to arise, I can make a shot.
So someone broke into your PARENTS house.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I've been wanting to do a camera install on my house but need to do a bit more research before I pull the trigger. I think 6-8 cameras would meet my needs and obviously I want it to be good enough quality to be able to identify someone if the need should arise.
Post your conclusion here please
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #32
aahmed2016

Quote:
I have a Pitbull. It's a wee wittle puppy at the moment though.

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
If you are in the Atlanta area, I can suggest a good place for you to get your equipment from.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
So someone broke into your PARENTS house.
Living there and working and paying here and there, so I like to call it my house sometimes, but yeah, if you want to be factual about it, its my dad's house.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #35
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
I do security cams on the side and I do not recommend any wireless cameras. The most reliable would be PoE megapixel cams with an NVR and a backup battery. It is not cheap. Please don't buy those Costco packages, they are bottom of the barrel analog cameras. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #36
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I don't have the budget at the moment to do a system of proper quality, so I figure it is better to hold off until such time that I can do it the "right" way.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #37
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it.

Arm up brother. No neighborhood on this planet is immune to crime
Total BS. My area is a crime free zone. I see signs saying so.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatrusty View Post
I used to have a locksmith service and used to recommend a hard wired system.. not any more. I purchased a SimpliSafe system wireless system and am very happy with it. No hard wires, No long term contract. Can be installed in 30 minutes and you can use your smart phone. You own it and can move it if you do. Cost me $400 for everything and It is month to month for monitoring @ $23.. Highly recommend it!

Simplify.com

If you PM me I might be able to get you a discount with my referral...
I like my SimpliSafe system as well. Better than my ADT system that I was locked into. BUT, it's still just a noise maker.

I'm still physically and mentally prepared, in case someone breaks in while I'm home, to protect my family. I'm not going to depend on anyone else.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
Fatrusty

My Ride: '04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfus2101 View Post
I like my SimpliSafe system as well. Better than my ADT system that I was locked into. BUT, it's still just a noise maker.

I'm still physically and mentally prepared, in case someone breaks in while I'm home, to protect my family. I'm not going to depend on anyone else.
Oh I agree with you on that one... must be prepared, but if you are not home..
Fatrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #40
hizhinezz

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
For me... ^This.

Unless you are involved in criminal activity or live in a particularly high crime area, or a big target in general, what are the actual odds that you're going to have to defend yourself from intruders in your home? Perhaps I'm naive but I've lived in and around major cities almost my entire life and the only instances I've ever heard of this have involved people who were involved in shady dealings (and thus with shady people), extremely high profile or high net worth individuals who were big targets (pro athletes) or folks who came home and caught someone in the act, and in those cases every time I remember the suspect tried to flee...

I'd be much more concerned about someone breaking in and taking my firearm and using it to kill someone else, and I'd bet those odds are higher. Caveat: If I lived anywhere that might be considered remote I'd likely view differently and there are also wild animals to consider. I don't mean to redirect OP, fn shame, I'd be so pissed I'd go out and buy a flamethrower and stand in my backyard shotgunning beers and screaming for them to come back and try again...

But big mean dog that understands human intentions > firearm for me.

No win situation with scumbags really.