E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #41
Mcbridges11

My Ride: 03 325i, 03 540i
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352771177.570059.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	477935
This is the gas that came out of my fuel filter- this is what goes into your engine!!! For $60 +/- it's worth it for sure
Mcbridges11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #42
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbridges11 View Post
Attachment 477935
This is the gas that came out of my fuel filter- this is what goes into your engine!!! For $60 +/- it's worth it for sure
I am definitely doing my filter on Friday...I've been putting it off since I don't want 50 psi gasoline sprayed in my eye.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
I use to haul fuel, Some places after youd empty the tank there would be DIRT at the bottom of the empty tank...

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #44
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
I'm with Mango.
Preventative Maintenance is definitely a way of life, its addictive, and a pleasure for me.
I get parts at resale, and the parts house gives me a tab that I settle monthly, If this weren't the case it would be much more difficult.

I realize that, not everyone can afford to go through their cars replacing everything, and there is no rule against diagnosing, isolating, and fixing just the problem, but when you have been around these cars long enough, you realize there are certain PM items that are non-negotiable, or that the only negotiation is to be left stranded, or at best waiting for a tow.

My commute is 1 mile round trip, and yet I put roughly 200 miles a week on my car in remote canyons, where cell reception, and civilization is non-existent. That being said I would be an idiot to roll the dice, and wait for problems to surface before fixing.
Does that make me immune from a breakdown? No, however my chances are greatly reduced, and the reward of getting to work on my own car is just a perk.

You can fix it cheap, but it wont be thorough, or You can fix it thorough, but it wont be cheap.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 11-12-2012 at 08:09 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #45
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
To relieve fuel pressure, just pull fuel pump fuse, start car and when engine dies, your fuel pressure will be 0.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #46
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
I'm with Mango.
Preventative Maintenance is definitely a way of life, its addictive, and a pleasure for me.
I actually agree with that premise. But the fact that Mango and other like minded individuals are OCD about replacing parts that don't need replacing doesn't make it the right thing to do. Nor does it make it the right advise to give to people on budgets who, more often than not, are looking for a cost effective solution based on a sensible and rational diagnosis rather than a "replace everything" obsession. No auto shop could survive if it conducted its day to day business on that philosophy. The difference between me and Mango is that I own my car. My car doesn't own me.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #47
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Fuel filter is a must. It's just like any filter that must be replaced. Put it this way. Does anyone buy a new car and never ever change their cabin filter? You will be breathing in crap and thats what the engine does with a bad fuel filter. I took my filter out and pitch black gas came out.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #48
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I have never recommended to anyone to do exactly the things I do to my car. Otherwise there'd be another car like mine floating around--and there isn't.

Says the guy who just shoved a $700 lighting setup down some guys throat a few threads back because thats what HE used, the man probably had a loose connection therefore had bulb firing problems. You didn't lone star find BMA parts homie, you may have stumbled across it and informed other fanatics.....

Like i said previously, smart guy. Really shitty superiority complex. More and more threads lately have turned into you arguing and trying to demonstrate your dominance. Which clearly has no leverage most of the time...
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #49
timworx

My Ride: Black '02 325i
Would a crapped up fuel filter worsen that slight delay when you put your foot on the accelerator (the drive-by-wire delay)?
timworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #50
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by timworx View Post
Would a crapped up fuel filter worsen that slight delay when you put your foot on the accelerator (the drive-by-wire delay)?
Maybe. It definitely will increase the pressure differential across the filter. The higher the fuel demand, the higher this differential will be. Lower pressure on the engine side wouldn't be a good thing.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #51
timworx

This would be evidenced by a lean running motor? Acceleration not as good as it should be? Of course, when it comes to acceleration, small decreases over time are hard to notice. I supposed it's good maintenance to do anyways.

It might also be why it occasionally acts just a little funny. The slightest hesitations at lower RPMs.

That delay just annoys the crap out of me. On a 5 speed it really screws with you.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #52
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Shitstorm coming in 3...2...1...
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #53
WDE46

It shouldn't make the engine run lean or rich. It will be fine since it knows what is happening based on the MAF and exhaust pre-cat O2 sensors. I think that delay is more the fault of our throttle mapping. You should replace the fuel filter anyway though if it's old.

Last edited by WDE46; 11-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #54
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by timworx View Post
If you take it to its logical conclusion one might imagine a situation where it got so fouled up that no fuel could get through and the car wouldn't start at all. So its a matter of scale really. Once you have fitted a new one its all downhill from there as it gets progressively sh*ttier.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #55
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
If you take it to its logical conclusion one might imagine a situation where it got so fouled up that no fuel could get through and the car wouldn't start at all. So its a matter of scale really. Once you have fitted a new one its all downhill from there as it gets progressively sh*ttier.
I like the way you think. Looking at things in the optimal and least optimal situations often gives us a lot of insight to things in between.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #56
timworx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
It shouldn't make the engine run lean or rich. It will be fine since it knows what is happening based on the MAF and exhaust pre-cat O2 sensors. I think that delay is more the fault of our throttle mapping. You should replace the fuel filter anyway though if it's old.
Ah, yeah. Durr. Just a hunting expedition over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Once you have fitted a new one its all downhill from there as it gets progressively sh*ttier.
The life of a fuel filter, how depressing. haha.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #57
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
To relieve fuel pressure, just pull fuel pump fuse, start car and when engine dies, your fuel pressure will be 0.
If I were to do the fuel pump & fuel filter at the same time, does replacing the pump first relieve pressure on the line without having to do this trick with the fuse?

Or is it advised to relieve pressure on the line prior to replacing the pump as well?

-G
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #58
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Pull fuse for pump or filter as the pump will likely have pressure on the output assuming the pump check valve is not leaking down.

The fuse trick is quick and easy.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #59
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Not always jfoj. I did pull the fuse and cranked till it didnt start. Also, I waited for this till I ran almost dry on gas(didnt want to get gas all over the place).
Still there was enough pressure to spray me nasty on the face.

Quote:
Pull fuse for pump or filter as the pump will likely have pressure on the output assuming the pump check valve is not leaking down.

The fuse trick is quick and easy.
Exactly, the output side of the filter(towards the engine). Thats where the pressure will be, once you shut down the pump. The engine will still hold the pressure.

I should remove the rear hoses first, but I went head first and got my first petrol shampoo shower ever. There was absolutely no pressure on the rear tubes.

Advice: Remove the front vacuum hose, then pull the rear hoses and then go to the front hose.

Safety glasses are Absolute must(thankfully I had mine ON) Petrol in the eyes will burn really bad.

Last edited by trj; 11-13-2012 at 11:09 AM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #60
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
If I were to do the fuel pump & fuel filter at the same time, does replacing the pump first relieve pressure on the line without having to do this trick with the fuse?

Or is it advised to relieve pressure on the line prior to replacing the pump as well?

-G
Pull the fuse for the fuel pump when replacing either one and crank the engine to relieve pressure. You don't want electricity to be able to reach the pump while you have it over an open tank with gas fumes everywhere anyway. Some would even say you should remove the negative battery terminal.