E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BC, AB, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

BC, AB, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
Find other members from your area in the enthusist directory.
AB BC Saskatchewan Manitoba

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
e46pauler

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Aircare help

I failed aircare ... what can I do?

Car is a 2005 330i ZHP
f1 Autohaus header
Active Autowerke software (with downstream sensor delete) 94 octane tune
BMW performance CAI

IIRC Downstream sensors aren't even installed in the car.
CEL was on when it went for the test -- missing outside ambient air sensor, which is being replaced as we speak

Do I have to reinstall stock headers?
Is there a chance I can re-take the test without them doing the roller and just scanning the ecu?
I think if i fix the ambient air sensor and re-do exam, I should pass?

Last edited by e46pauler; 11-13-2012 at 12:53 AM.
e46pauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Mcbridges11

My Ride: 03 325i, 03 540i
Where do you live? Might have better luck in your regional area- find out what others are doing or where the are going $$-- I'd say with your tune and setup there is no way you'd pass with a tube in your exhaust- if they just do an ecu read ...an o2 sim might make it appear you have cats and are running clean.... Just a thought tho - I use one on my Catless headers to highline simply to avoid a cel... Making the ecu think everything is okay- good luck - keep us updated
Mcbridges11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
e46pauler

^ thanks for the reply

I think the issue may lie in the lack of a O2 sensor. Do you mind elaborating on how you connected your O2 sim? IIRC I have an O2 sim clunking around in the trunk somewhere.

The test they run specifically looks for a reading from the downstream O2 sensor and Upstream O2 sensor. How hard is it to connect the O2 sim? Do I need my original O2 sensors/Do they need to be hooked upto the manifold? I don't mind ghetto rigging something in the little cubby of the engine bay just to pass emissions.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Mcbridges11

This is the guide I followed - this allows you to not have to rig up the box in the drug bin under the hood- it's very easy to follow just be patient- I have a few tips of advice if you do end up following it- let me know - I used a sim from o2simulator.com - I hear bimmerbrakes makes a nice one as well-

Because you don't have the rear o2 sims in you may have to run a resistor to represent the heater element- that I would not wire up in the ecu box lol!!

This guide has a lot of pages of info- read them all!! Hope it helps! It worked for my car- I used a dual output -

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=1#post4985910
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Mcbridges11

If you don't mind rigging something up that would be the best way to place and create the heater element- plenty of forums on that!!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
e46pauler

Sweet thank you! I have the downstream o2 sensors they're just not installed in the car and would be a huge pain in the rear to mount into the headers lol.

Thank you for your help. Hopefully this works and I don't have to reinstall the stock manifold
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
You'll never pass with a CEL, not sure why you even tried.

What makes you think the test they run looks for O2 sensor readings?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
e46pauler

To be honest all my cars are newer or stock. I've never had to deal with aircare with a modified car.

I'm just making inferences I have no definite answer which is why I made this thread -- to allow myself to be enlightened by someone else lol

I have no idea they look for specific O2 sensor readings, i just assumed they did. On one of my cars I failed because one of my sensors was not 'ready' because I had just reset the CEL codes prior to the exam. So maybe not having a sensor plugged in/having the sensor deleted from the ECU via tune is causing me to fail that test?

I'm going to retry after I fix the CEL, if I still fail I'll retry with the tune reverted/O2 sim installed.

Then I guess my last chance at passing will be reverting to 100% stock and reinstalling the stock manifold

Last edited by e46pauler; 11-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
taylor192

First, lets not assume anything.

What I know of AirCare is that it checks your ECU for readiness and stored codes. It might do more, yet you should not assume.

That said, any car with a CEL will definitely fail AirCare. Get that fixed, clear the codes, drive for a week (to ensure the readiness monitors are ready), and then scan the codes. If you don't have any then you should pass AirCare.

Since you're modding cars you should have a OBD scanner. If not, get one. $30 at Princess Auto for a cheap scanner. Ensure you have no codes before your next test. If you still fail then you know AirCare is checking more than readiness and codes.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
e46pauler

^ thanks. I guess it was my ignorance to assume just because the CEL is for a non-emissions reason that it meant it was fine to pass aircare. Ah well, live and learn
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46pauler View Post
^ thanks. I guess it was my ignorance to assume just because the CEL is for a non-emissions reason that it meant it was fine to pass aircare. Ah well, live and learn
Cool. FYI lots of people make that assumption - yet virtually every CEL is "emissions" related. The ambient air sensor is probably tied to the engine temp management, and maintaining an ideal engine temp keeps emissions down as it keeps the cats at an ideal temp.

FYI: Not all stored codes will cause a CEL or fail AirCare. My car throws a gas temp sensor code, which doesn't cause a CEL and I passed AirCare.

At least we're done with AirCare in 2014 so this is the last time you'll have to worry about that.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
This is what I just found out about aircare.
All sensors need to be in ready state to avoid roller test. I took my other car in just after I cleared the code (dumb wife didn't tighten the gas cap). The o2 sensors and EGR did not have time to set new values. So after trying to do just the stationary code read test they ended up putting me on the rollers and did the rolling test (passed anyway, that car is stock).
Get a code reader. You might be able to pass without o2 sim.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Canuck604

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I've been struggling with this as well, since I have ebay headers and a constant CEL light. I'm only 60% sure of this, but I think the AA tune takes the post-cat O2 sensors into a non-ready state just so it clears the code (can anyone verify this?) It could be the case that aircare needs all sensors to be in a ready state, so that's why people with headers fail I think. To be honest, until i read this post, I was likely going just get the AA tune, ask for the post-cat sensors to be switched off and then go into the exam. But now i'm thinking I may have to go the simm route... please do keep me posted. Fellow vancouverite with the same exact issue.
Canuck604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
taylor192

To clarify what's been said (cause I really hate when people assume): http://www.aircare.ca/inspinfo-desc-obd.php

You will do the ECU test if 0-1 readiness monitors are not ready on your first attempt.
You will do the tailpipe test if 2-3 readiness monitors are not ready on your first attempt.
You will not be tested if 2+ readiness monitors are not ready on a subsequent attempt (unless you have a repair bill).

Since the OP has already been tested, he's only allowed 1 readiness monitor to be not ready and no CEL to pass (since he won't have a repair bill).
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
e46pauler

I will update once I get my hands on the car.

Right now its in the repair shop for some minor front end damage, but because it's a ZHP it's been a pain sourcing the OEM front bumper. I ended up having to order a Khoalty Replica in the interest of time ... still not here

tl;dr aircare can go die in a fire
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
So do the post cat sensors count as one or two?
I got the OEM bumper from ECS but it was expensive with shipping, taxes, import duties and fees.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
So do the post cat sensors count as one or two?
I was trying to find that. From what I can tell, 1, yet they may be tied into the cat readiness or O2 temp readiness.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
XTC_604_DKNY

My Ride: Jet Black '05 330CI
fwiw,

I have aftermarket headers and running a piggyback for my supercharger and I had CEL on.
did CEL reset, and ran it for a few hours, went to Aircare and the light never turned on, so I passed.

BUT they checked around the car for a cat.
there were actually 4 guys with mirrors around my car looking from the bottom AND from the engine down.
*apparently* someone found my cat, so I passed
Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #19
e46pauler

^ let's hope they think the resonator is a cat lol.

As a quick aside,

are any of you running a cold air intake? I got the BMW performance intake when it was on sale, but I'm not too happy with it. Anyone had any positive results with an aftermarket CAI system that did not throw a code upon installation? Worried about the MAF ... gonna use this accident as an excuse to upgrade the intake system as well lol.

Just looking for something that's safe for DD-ing in vancouver (ie, in the rain) and gives a nice little punchy note to the exhaust.

Last edited by e46pauler; 11-17-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #20
Canuck604

My Ride: 2004 325ci
A friend and I both have K&N CAI in our facelifts. The oil in the filter set off a code for a bit and then it went away after it settled in. As for positive results.. they're so minimal that it's hard to tell. I just needed it to complete the exhaust system in anticipation for software upgrade. BTW, yeah a few shops thought my second resonator was my cat. My aftermarket cats sit in the same spot.

Any update on the CEL situation? when are you going to take the aircare test again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46pauler View Post
^ let's hope they think the resonator is a cat lol.

As a quick aside,

are any of you running a cold air intake? I got the BMW performance intake when it was on sale, but I'm not too happy with it. Anyone had any positive results with an aftermarket CAI system that did not throw a code upon installation? Worried about the MAF ... gonna use this accident as an excuse to upgrade the intake system as well lol.

Just looking for something that's safe for DD-ing in vancouver (ie, in the rain) and gives a nice little punchy note to the exhaust.
Canuck604 is offline   Reply With Quote