E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Nicad

My Ride: e36 M3/4 e46 325it
Conti Extreme DW's too sloppy on an E46?

My only hesitation in buying some DW Extremes is that some have said the steering lacks precision. Currently I have PS 2's on my Wagon. It has Koni FSD's and Turner sway bars. I have found the Michelin gave an acceptable ride and was very good and communicative in the corners. My only gripes would be that the car is a little darty over broken pavement and the car hunts left and right a bit. (It has been aligned, all components are new) When I run my Pilot Alpin winter tires, I do not notice this. Mostly my car runs around an urban environment in the summer. It gets driven moderately hard in corners. Are you DW owners pleased with your choice? I am also considering a set of Super Sports, but maybe the DW suits the car more in daily driving situations. Looking to get 20K out of this next set with regular front/rear rotation.

Opinions appreciated.

Last edited by Nicad; 11-10-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Subscribed. Curious as well. These are my leading choice for my next tires as well.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Nicad

If you lived in the US , you could currently get $70 off the Super Sports bringing them down to a pretty reasonable $165 for a 225 45 17.

At any rate, the more I think about it, the more I think the DW suits what my car does day to day. I have read every review on Tire rack at this point. I am going to the US this week, so must place my order very soon.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Poncho@home

I will be getting my tires from the US. The Conti DWs are reasonably priced. I moving up to 18s. They are also light tires compared to others.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Nicad

I was considering the Bridgestone 760's till I saw that they weighed 27 pounds compared to 20 pounds for the DW.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Nicad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I will be getting my tires from the US. The Conti DWs are reasonably priced. I moving up to 18s. They are also light tires compared to others.
On Montreal roads, I think the DW would be my first choice.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Poncho@home

Yeah I think so too.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
ohio330

My Ride: 330
I have had DWs on for two summer seasons now. They ride great. Now that the tread is wearing down they are getting noisy. But the traction is great, especially in the weat. I previously had nitto invos and these handle much better. I have done a track day or two and they aren't the best there, seems kinda squishy when they get hot. But as a daily they are awesome. I cannot get them to squeal and I have tried many times.
ohio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Nicad

Well there will be no tracking for my wagon. I ordered some DW's this afternoon. My snows will be going on in a week and the DW's will be ready to roll come Spring. (The only reason I bought early is to take advantage of being in the US and having an $800 tax free credit. (Probably saving $300 over buying locally). Looking forward to trying another set of tires.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Poncho@home

Good stuff. Yeah I have 2 planned trips to the US this winter. I will order tires on one and rims on the other...big savings!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
CamFall 2014

My Ride: 2002 e46 m3
I loved my extreme DW's!! They did lack the immediate response in corners my hankooks have, but I Definately prefer them for my daily driver. Especially on the awful Florida roads I have locally!! Great tires in burning heat, or terrential downpours + everywhere in between!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
CamFall 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Poncho@home

[QUOTE]Especially on the awful Florida roads/QUOTE]

haha. You ever been to Montreal? We have potholes that swallow up entire cars. http://montreal.about.com/od/getting...le_so_many.htm

I have driven all over the US and I can say without a doubt that we have the worst overall roads. There might be bad roads everywhere, but all our roads are bad!