E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #181
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
any options for a good looking headlight retrofit for this car?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #182
pakman3

My Ride: piece
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-r...html#post27767

Last edited by pakman3; 11-07-2012 at 09:43 AM.
pakman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #183
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
^ Ugly as hell IMO. It's just...off.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #184
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Where is the OP?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #185
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Leaving the country because Obama won

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #186
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Can we get a rough tally of how much everything cost so far from purchase of the car up till the last mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #187
palindrome

My Ride: ...
2 cars does not constitute a "fleet".

Last edited by Palindrome; December 4, 1986.
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #188
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Leaving the country because Obama won

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #189
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
lol

Quote:
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #190
Born Again

yes i think we are somewhat aware he could of bought a new body style certainly something newer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Can we get a rough tally of how much everything cost so far from purchase of the car up till the last mod?
and his grandma and himself aren't okay with interracial dating

haha jk - or am i

Quote:

Last edited by Born Again; 11-12-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #191
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
$6,500 | B+ Condition P38 Rover in need of a little TLC
$1,200 | Front air springs + valve block rebuild parts and labor (had a fellow Rover fanatic help and paid him peanuts what the dealer would have charged)
$1,000 | Pioneer AVIC unit + dash kit + AV converter + audio sound leveler + install
$1,200 | Michellin tires brand new from Costco + Install
$Free, | Lug nuts (thank god I was able to get these from a fellow Rover guy... Land Rover NA charges 22 bucks A POP for them and I needed newer ones as the older lugs from my year are too big for the new wheels)
$700, | Range Rover Stormer Replicas off Ebay 20"
$250 | 20% window tint
$1,500 | Oil cooler + multiple gaskets + other issues
$1,600 | Heater O-Ring fix (huge PITA as they have to remove the entire dash to do it... or remove the motor) + oil change and other small stuff
$700 | Brake issues (front calipers replaced plus pads)
$10 | New black floor mats off ebay
$150 | Euro clear tail lights off ebay
$75 | Euro clear front turnsignals and side markers
$50 | Xenon conversion for headlights and fog lights
$15 | Paint for front grille
$3,500 | New front bumper + rear bumper + tow package (all covered by insurance so I won't include this figure)
$350 | Brand new compressor for air suspension
$15 | Forever black for window trim and bumpers

So roughly $15,000 cost of ownership to date including all mechanical issues, improvements, upgrades, etc over a two year period. And yes, with that figure, I probably could have bought a 2003 Range Rover (new body style) but the cost of a single air spring would have set me back almost 800 in parts (not to mention the countless other things that would likely have gone wrong)

So it's not a cheap car and I haven't skimped with parts but it runs amazingly well and, with the exception of heated seats, it runs like new and looks great.... and I could probably turn around and sell it in its current condition for between 10-12 depending on the buyer. The great thing about these cars is that the older they become (assuming they're cared for) the more valuable they become. Good condition Classic Range Rovers still go for almost 10k.

FWIW, I'd never do the "headlight conversion" or otherwise try and make mine look like the newer ones. I've attended a few rover gatherings and even cars & coffee with this truck and the reception is always very positive BECAUSE it's retro. Of course there are many who would prefer the newer body style and the pricetag that is assumed to go with it but I like the big lumbering look adn feel of this guy. Will be a great zombie Apocalypse car come december.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 11-13-2012 at 09:28 AM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #192
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Thats pretty cool. $15k isnt honestly too bad. I thought you were well into the 20's by now. I also think I like this body style better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #193
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Thats pretty cool. $15k isnt honestly too bad. I thought you were well into the 20's by now. I also think I like this body style better myself.
These trucks are AMAZING values. For the money (5-15k depending on condition and mileage), you're getting what was, in the late 90's, cutting edge technology. Extremely advanced traction control, ABS, off roading systems, transmission, a suspension that Clarkson labeled "an engineering masterpiece", brakes comparable only with Ferraris and other supercars of the time, dual climate electronic ac, etc.

When I bought this, an identical year similar mileage would have run me about 150% what I paid for the Rover... and if you're buying parts on ebay and other second hand outlets, you can get parts for these trucks dirt cheap. I can't promise they are bulletproof as the rover forums are littered with issues, but my mechanic has seen plenty of these with 200, 250, even 300k miles. As long as you keep monitoring small things (gaskets, hoses, etc) they'll run like tanks. If you neglect those items (dumb soccer moms for example), you'll find yourself in a world of pain.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 11-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote