E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
Shopping for a laptop, need advice

So having started the go-kart track, my focus has been so far off of technology for the past few years now that I feel very un-nerdy on the latest technology. In a nutshell, I'm looking for a pretty powerful laptop that would hopefully have decent battery life. Historically, I've waited for a very nice e-coupon code to come around for HP, and customized a nice one. I've had good luck with every HP I've purchased, the last one made it 5 years before the monitor cable broke and I effed it up trying to fix it myself. Anyways, here's what I'd be looking for:

-Something that won't shite itself when I ask it to do some video editing. This is key for me. Right now both my older laptop (still plug it into my TV occasionally) and my new POS cheapy work laptop cry mercy when I throw a few go-pro videos together. I do a lot of video editing for fun, and a TON of photoshop work for work. Sometimes working with big files.
-I'm not sure how much I'd appreciate higher screen resolution? I've never had anything higher than 1366x768. Is it worth it?
-Are the new SSD computers the ones that boot up in seconds? I would prefer that, but also dig my hard drive space since I will come home from a race with 50 gigs of go-pro footage. If what I'm thinking is correct, maybe find a laptop with a 32gb SSD and a 1tb hdd?
-The better the battery life without having an uncomfortable giant battery, the better.

So, I think Lenovo is a decent brand nowadays, yes? Are they worth it over HP? Can anyone explain the difference between the Y and W series? Here's two I've been looking at:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...U#.UKLN0md2MzA

and

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...P#.UKLN1Gd2MzA

Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh, and budget of $1000-1500

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS

Last edited by trippinbillies4; 11-13-2012 at 04:59 PM.
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote