E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
Even if there is voltage at the starter there may not be enough current sure as a broken wire and such. Also check the engine grounds
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
Just saw no voltage to the solenoid post. Check the ignition switch for voltage and the clutch switch. Try to find a diagram that shows what else can cut power from it as well
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Jspreezy

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Ok, so what I'm getting is when I jump the big terminal on the starter to the solenoid is just some small sparks, no action from the starter. Took a jump pack and connected a lead to the large terminal and to the solenoid and grounded the jump pack and it acted as though it shorted, like it wanted to turn then just nothing.
Jspreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspreezy View Post
Ok, so what I'm getting is when I jump the big terminal on the starter to the solenoid is just some small sparks, no action from the starter. Took a jump pack and connected a lead to the large terminal and to the solenoid and grounded the jump pack and it acted as though it shorted, like it wanted to turn then just nothing.
Need better word picture: what is "and it acted as though it shorted"? I have no idea what that means.

Where are you grounding the jump pack?

I want a voltage reading at the small terminal when you use your jump pack to try the starter.

I want to know the above, but a guess would be your starter is not good. What brand did you install?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
Jspreezy

I installed the napa brand and its brand new, the starter I just took off was fine too. I'm not getting any voltage at the solenoid positive while cranking.
What I was trying to say is that I had two leads going from the jump pack to the starter solenoid and the larger positive lead then ground the jump pack to the exhaust bracket.
When I did this is made a brief noise then just stopped, no noise or movement from the starter.
I know the starter is good
Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
Jspreezy

I checked the lead to the alt to see if its going to ground but it looked good an the other lead I could only check so far up. Wondering if I unhook the two large starter leads hook it the the jump pack if it would crank?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #27
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspreezy View Post
I installed the napa brand and its brand new, the starter I just took off was fine too. I'm not getting any voltage at the solenoid positive while cranking.
What I was trying to say is that I had two leads going from the jump pack to the starter solenoid and the larger positive lead then ground the jump pack to the exhaust bracket.
When I did this is made a brief noise then just stopped, no noise or movement from the starter.
I know the starter is good
Not liking using the NAPA brand. But if you bench tested?

I know you're getting no voltage at the small starter terminal. I remember yesterday.

Where on the exhaust bracket. I'm not trusting this as ground yet.

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
Airborne82id

My Ride: 330CI
Takes back to when it happened. What did you do or happen to the car prior to that? any work on the car? wash the engine bay? etc ....

The type of issue you're having usually occurs after something's been done to the vehicle.
Airborne82id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #29
Jspreezy

I clamped the ground to a bracket that holds the exhaust. I uses this same bracket as a ground when I tried just the solenoid and the bendix turned. When I hooked a second and larger lead from the positive jump pack to the starter I got a brief sound as though the bendix wanted to turn(about a second) then nothing. Tried moving the ground around and still nothing. Area is too small to get a voltmeter and leads into while trying to jump
Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #30
Jspreezy

This just happened all of a sudden one day, came out of work or day and it wouldn't crank. I've tested voltage from the ignition switch, getting 12.5v at all terminals including black/blue wire in cranking position. Both growing straps look clean and tight. Have voltage at the clutch switch as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Could this not be an issue with the key?

Do you have a spare key that you could try?

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
Jspreezy

New key

Last edited by Jspreezy; 11-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #33
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Yep, I'm with you on that. The reason I mentioned is because other members have had a key lose sync for no apparent reason and a different key has worked.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #34
Jspreezy

Got it to crank... No clue, was poking around reading voltage at the clutch switch, ews and dme. Everything was reading good then went back to the blue/black wire at the ews and inserted the pin for the volt meter and crank the car and it tried starting. It was real weak then picked up and started. No clue, maybe a loose pin in the connector for the ews??
Old 11-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
Stinger9

Sounds like you're in the right place to find the fix. Stay there until you know for sure what is causing it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
Jspreezy

ok, back at square one. Couldn't get the car to replicate the problem so I continued to drive with fingers crossed...Friday was the day, went to the car to head to work and go to crank and nothing. The car is doing the exact same thing lights, radio, a/c ect... everything working but no crank. The starter is making no noise. I poke and prod some connectors at the clutch switch and the dme and ews, still nothing. I have a slight oil leak from something connected to my intake manifold so i decided to go ahead and take the intake off to investigate both problems at the same time making it easier to see and check voltage and for something going to ground. Was also thinking maybe oil leaking into a connection shorting something out, would/ could this be a likely scenario.
Once the intake was out I checked voltage at the starter getting 12.0v at the large terminal, and getting 9.4v at both smaller terminals on the selenoid WITH THE KEY IN THE OFF POSITION?? when my brother stepped on the clutch and turned the key I was getting 12.4v. at the smaller terminals on the solenoid(yellow/black and a black wire), but the starter is doing nothing. Not even attempting to crank or make a noise. Brand new starter(from napa, i know- but i still have the old starter which i am going to try this afternoon). I have a few things unplugged from the intake manifold but I would still think it should try to start over. This is driving me crazy, I'm not the greatest mechanic and electric is definitely not my favorite but this has got me baffled. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated and I will keep posted in case anyone else should ever have this problem.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #37
Stinger9

A quick read of your situation leads me to believe your new starter is erratically defective.
If you have battery voltage at the large terminal and ignition terminal, it should start.
But wait! If you say you have 9.4v at both small terminals, this is not right. Because one small terminal should be grounded with a short ground strap there. Is the strap connected properly?
And also have you checked the ground strap from the engine to the chassis?
Get back to me with answers to all my questions and I'll be able to tell you more. Electric is my favorite.
There is the engine ground strap. Not the strap to the starter.

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #38
Jspreezy

Ok, pulled some voltage and took a couple pics. First one is just key out, neg probe connected to the starter ground strap. The positive probe connected to large positive terminal, reads 11.4v. The second picture key on, as to crank, no voltage to solenoid(yellow/black) terminal, and the same with the black solenoid wire- no voltage. Just two days ago I had 9.4v to both the solenoid terminals with the key off and 14v to them while attempting to crank, but nothing at all from the starter. So voltage to no voltage and its just been sitting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355974919.849162.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	482753   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355975006.651923.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	482754   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355975031.030275.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	482755  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #39
Jspreezy

Checked the ground strap, lower right side of engine, clean and tight. The other terminal(black wire) at the solenoid, is this a ground? The starter and solenoid are grounded to the engine by being bolted and a strap from the starter to the solenoid. This is truly wearing me out. New clutch switch, new key, sent ews module to shop in California and they said it checked out fine. I think I answered everything. Sorry for late responses, weather has been crazy. Stinger9, thanks for the help
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #40
Stinger9

First of all with your battery voltage reading 11.4v means your battery is draining. Very likely from being used but not charged. Do you have an external charger you could use to keep it fresh?

So you've got battery voltage to the starter.
And with a good engine ground strap, you probably have a good ground to the starter and solenoid.
If the above two things are true, and your starter is good: try a jumper from the terminal where you have voltage, to the third terminal on the solenoid that comes from the ignition switch. This should engage and crank the starter, turning over the engine. CAREFUL! Make sure your transmission is in neutral! I don't want you moving the car!
If the starter does not crank when you jumper it, I'd want to know what happens to the voltage reading at the starter's large battery cable when you try.
Let me know what happens when you try the jumper?

Tags
alternator wiring, electical, no crank, no start