E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #61
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I'd rather everyone have the opportunity to go to school if they wish, not have the government decide who is and is not worthy of pursuing higher education.
via variable interest rates?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #62
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
Logical choice for me right now would be to go to law school...but with the idea of debt vs job prospects (especially law) I've been seriously reconsidering it for a while now..law school debt is scary.
you just failed right there

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #63
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
go to a cal state and i get tuition paid for (dad is war veteran) but im not sure if it will carry over for grad school. i get any us and cal state for free, unfortunately its looking like usc or LMU that offer my major. so hopefully i dont need to take out any more loans. but yes... NEXT BUBBLE!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #64
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Perhaps America's education system needs a reboot. Agree with what others said above, tuition is ridiculous these days if you want to go to a decent school.
Agreed!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #65
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
go to a cal state and i get tuition paid for (dad is war veteran) but im not sure if it will carry over for grad school. i get any us and cal state for free, unfortunately its looking like usc or LMU that offer my major. so hopefully i dont need to take out any more loans. but yes... NEXT BUBBLE!
My cousin went to LMU and played ball there. Good choice!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #66
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I'd rather everyone have the opportunity to go to school if they wish, not have the government decide who is and is not worthy of pursuing higher education.
Then you have the situation we are in.
The problem is that when you ask oneself to decide if oneself is worthy of being invested in, guess what the outcome is.

I'm not saying the government must make that decision. Just that the government has to pass that legislation to allow someone unbiased and without vested interest to make that determination. It could be based on a combination of high school grades and aptitude tests.
Just because someone is very smart it doesn't necessarily mean that he/she will succeed in engineering or medical school, for example. Conversely, I'm a graduated engineer, but if I wanted to drop everything and take a loan to pursue a career in music, someone should probably commit me to a mental institution or shoot me, and not just deny my loan. I'm sure I could get that loan in today's environment, and fail and pass that debt to society.
This would be the equivalent of an appraisal before approving a mortgage loan. There is no appraisal for individual fit for taking up a loan that can possibly impact one's entire life. Why?

Last edited by Master Po; 11-13-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #67
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
you just failed right there
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #68
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
when you guys say the next bubble bursting what do you mean will happen? How will it affect the average person? It's probably a stupid question.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #69
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Then you have the situation we are in.
The problem is that when you ask oneself to decide if oneself is worthy of being invested in, guess what the outcome is.

I'm not saying the government must make that decision. Just that the government has to pass that legislation to allow someone unbiased and without vested interest to make that determination. It could be based on a combination of high school grades and aptitude tests.
Just because someone is very smart it doesn't necessarily mean that he/she will succeed in engineering or medical school, for example. Conversely, I'm a graduated engineer, but if I wanted to drop everything and take a loan to pursue a career in music, someone should probably commit me to a mental institution or shoot me, and not just deny my loan. I'm sure I could get that loan in today's environment, and fail and pass that debt to society.
This would be the equivalent of an appraisal before approving a mortgage loan. There is no appraisal for individual fit for taking up a loan that can possibly impact one's entire life. Why?
There are two parts here that should be unpacked.

The appraisal which is the evaluation of the product i.e. the education, accredited and a valuable degree.

The borrower's ability, past performance, grades, referrals, etc.

You should be able to get a loan for music, but just at a higher interest rate.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #70
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
when you guys say the next bubble bursting what do you mean will happen? How will it affect the average person? It's probably a stupid question.
The banks are holding paper that says they have XXX billions in assets. If legislation forces them to take a haircut or if suddenly the default rate skyrockets, banks (or federal government) will take a huge hit on the books leading to reduction of jobs, decrease in stock market, etc.

Basically, the banks or loan holders will experience massive loss of assets. People who work for the banks will be fired, let go.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #71
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
There are two parts here that should be unpacked.

The appraisal which is the evaluation of the product i.e. the education, accredited and a valuable degree.

The borrower's ability, past performance, grades, referrals, etc.

You should be able to get a loan for music, but just at a higher interest rate.
I meant the appraisal should be made on the borrower, based on his/her background, grades, aptitude test and compatibility for the education being sought.
Basically an evaluation of how risky the loan is.
I personally don't oppose a variable loan rate based on that risk, just like they do on auto insurance.
I never understood why housing and health can't differentiate (or, discriminate, as the politically correct crowd would say) but the auto insurance industry can basically do whatever they want.

Last edited by Master Po; 11-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #72
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
The banks are holding paper that says they have XXX billions in assets. If legislation forces them to take a haircut or if suddenly the default rate skyrockets, banks (or federal government) will take a huge hit on the books leading to reduction of jobs, decrease in stock market, etc.

Basically, the banks or loan holders will experience massive loss of assets. People who work for the banks will be fired, let go.
Thanks brosef
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #73
rohde88

Quote:
I meant the appraisal should be made on the borrower, based on his/her background, grades, aptitude test and compatibility for the education being sought.
I personally don't oppose a variable loan rate based on that risk, just like they do on auto insurance.
I never understood why housing can't differentiate (or, discriminate, as the politically correct crowd would say) but the auto insurance industry can.
Well, the market normally would differentiate, but fed backing artificially lowered the rate thus increasing supply
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #74
Master Po

Quote:
Well, the market normally would differentiate, but fed backing artificially lowered the rate thus increasing supply
And how would the private sector have differentiated a borrower?
What did they use to evaluate the risk of an education loan before the feds got involved?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #75
rohde88

Quote:
And how would the private sector have differentiated a borrower?
What did they use to evaluate the risk of an education loan before the feds got involved?
The fed became involved in 1958. Prior to this, it was mostly college scholarships based on merit.

From Wikipedia.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #76
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
I never understood why housing and health can't differentiate (or, discriminate, as the politically correct crowd would say) but the auto insurance industry can basically do whatever they want.

I agree with you.

Last edited by JTLaz; 11-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #77
Ilovecars800490

My Ride: 2003 330i sport 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Are you using cocaine? Or maybe crank?

That's extremely cheap.
Can i have what you are smoking?

20,000 a year is not cheap. X 4 thats 80 grand for a bachelors. Lucky for me, i commute so i save **** tons of money on room and board.
Ilovecars800490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #78
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Quote:
The fed became involved in 1958. Prior to this, it was mostly college scholarships based on merit.

From Wikipedia.
Yup, just one more thing the gov't fvcked up. They increased demand, which lead to a decreased supply, that ultimately lead to increased cost and the diminished value of a college education. They did the same thing to the housing market, and health care is next on their list.

The sooner people figure out that gov't is not the answer to their problems, the better off we will be.

We need more trade skills in this country...it's no wonder why mfg is going overseas...you can't build sh1t with a gender study degree.

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #79
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovecars800490 View Post
Can i have what you are smoking?

20,000 a year is not cheap. X 4 thats 80 grand for a bachelors. Lucky for me, i commute so i save **** tons of money on room and board.
It's cheap compared to grad school. However, it's expensive enough that you better think about what you major in. A lot of majors really should be cut drastically, if not entirely as they're essentially useless/have too much supply for jobs.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #80
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovecars800490 View Post
Pitt University is 14,000 per year minus room and board for Engineering.

School is ridiculously expensive.
Buddy out here got his Ph.D in IE from Pitt, now works at the CDC doing HIV/AIDS research.

Funny thing is, he was on scholarships the whole ride.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote