E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #61
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Huh i dont understand, where was he talking shyt? Exp. about top speed limiters being removed? He was just saying have then removed for next time to see what the cars cant really get up to.

"Edit" wont go there.

Mike what were you hitting at the end? Mph.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
About 175mph per the speedo, but those are always off...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #62
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Huh i dont understand, where was he talking shyt? Exp. about top speed limiters being removed? He was just saying have then removed for next time to see what the cars cant really get up to.

Each post includes a jab regarding 'modifying' the kit or not using the 'detuned' tune.. etc.. suggesting my car was getting beat by Kenton because of a unsafe/aggressive tune/etc.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #63
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
Ya no offence Chris but your kit pushing techniques are lame lol... Pretty much why my car never went to HPF for a stg 4 build and went to SP instead...
Does SP have a kit as well or do they just change the ECU to Pro-EFI and tune the car?

Congrats guys, glad you all had fun, made some good runs and most importantly got home safely.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #64
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post
Does SP have a kit as well or do they just change the ECU to Pro-EFI and tune the car?

Congrats guys, glad you all had fun, made some good runs and most importantly got home safely.
SP can build you anything you want.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #65
widebody350

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I am sure they can, as they have done a lot of quality builds for Supra customers, however that also carries a heavy price tag. I was trying they had a kit out that would compare to HPF's kits, which apparently they do not. Thank you.

I know that SP builds quality stuff at very reasonable and fair prices for the Supra guys, so I was hoping they had a kit out for the M3s now. Right now HPF owns the market for turbo E46s and prices their kits accordingly. I would love an alternative to HPF and for competition to bring the best products at the best prices to the customers.

FYI, not trying to start or continue an argument between SP and HPF builds/kits that seems to be brewing.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #66
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post
I am sure they can, as they have done a lot of quality builds for Supra customers, however that also carries a heavy price tag. I was trying they had a kit out that would compare to HPF's kits, which apparently they do not. Thank you.

I know that SP builds quality stuff at very reasonable and fair prices for the Supra guys, so I was hoping they had a kit out for the M3s now. Right now HPF owns the market for turbo E46s and prices their kits accordingly. I would love an alternative to HPF and for competition to bring the best products at the best prices to the customers.

FYI, not trying to start or continue an argument between SP and HPF builds/kits that seems to be brewing.
There's no argument between the two.

The difference between SP and HPF is not going to be price, its going to be end product. One is a 'kit' the other is 'custom' .. both will likely yield similar costs. Custom general equates to more labor and a one off result, which some like. HPF instead invested in significant manufacturing costs, having most of their products cad designed, and cast, or machined. End result is an OEM looking car, some prefer this, even if it means there may be 100 others like it.

I can tell you this.. HPF's kit isn't expensive to be expensive.. its expensive because the cost to produce it and design/r&d it was high.

I may not be a huge fan of Chris B, and HPF and I may have had our differences but there is absolutely no denying that they may have been the first to truly SET THE BAR as far as kit quality and design goes... the cost alone for that intake manifold was likely tens of thousands to go from a cad drawing to a cast piece. When they priced their kit they likely took into consideration how many kits it would take to break even on R&D/Manufacturing and how many kits over all they felt they'd sell. They then priced their kits around that.

If I had to guess I'd say they've sold anywhere from 125 to 150 kits.. if I had to guess the development costs and initial manufacturing costs (including payroll for those DOING the work) was probably well over $300k. Then you take into account the cost of manufacturing each piece (after the casting/r&d/etc) and you're probably looking at a cost of $5k-$7k for like a stage 1. Now lets do the math.. they've sold 150 stage 1's lets say (i'm going to ignore engine building, stage 2's, etc, etc..) then they'd have made $2.25m (subtract costs and its like 1.1m).. over the last 5+ years they've been selling the kits. Divide that by 5 and you're looking at only $220k/yr.. toss in all the marketing costs, blown motors, warranty work, continued payroll for those still installing, and updating the kit and the significantly oversized 15ksqft shop and suddenly Chris B isn't sitting on a uncle scrooge style pile of cash like most think. You also need to be aware that the AA's and ESS's of the world sell kits with significantly less hard parts, and use the stock DME which means less costs per kit sold.. but likely just as high of R&D costs.

Rustles my jimmies when people think that some magical $7k E46 m3 turbo kit is 'just around the corner' due to competition.. it isn't.

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 11-13-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #67
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
I smell bullshit in here.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #68
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Each post includes a jab regarding 'modifying' the kit or not using the 'detuned' tune.. etc.. suggesting my car was getting beat by Kenton because of a unsafe/aggressive tune/etc.
Who cares? There is like five of you that always cry about the dumbest crap, anyways back to thread.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #69
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:

The difference between SP and HPF is not going to be price, its going to be end product. One is a 'kit' the other is 'custom' .. both will likely yield similar costs. Custom general equates to more labor and a one off result, which some like. HPF instead invested in significant manufacturing costs, having most of their products cad designed, and cast, or machined. End result is an OEM looking car, some prefer this, even if it means there may be 100 others like it.

I can tell you this.. HPF's kit isn't expensive to be expensive.. its expensive because the cost to produce it and design/r&d it was high.

I may not be a huge fan of Chris B, and HPF and I may have had our differences but there is absolutely no denying that they may have been the first to truly SET THE BAR as far as kit quality and design goes... the cost alone for that intake manifold was likely tens of thousands to go from a cad drawing to a cast piece. When they priced their kit they likely took into consideration how many kits it would take to break even on R&D/Manufacturing and how many kits over all they felt they'd sell. They then priced their kits around that.

If I had to guess I'd say they've sold anywhere from 125 to 150 kits.. if I had to guess the development costs and initial manufacturing costs (including payroll for those DOING the work) was probably well over $300k. Then you take into account the cost of manufacturing each piece (after the casting/r&d/etc) and you're probably looking at a cost of $5k-$7k for like a stage 1. Now lets do the math.. they've sold 150 stage 1's lets say (i'm going to ignore engine building, stage 2's, etc, etc..) then they'd have made $2.25m (subtract costs and its like 1.1m).. over the last 5+ years they've been selling the kits. Divide that by 5 and you're looking at only $220k/yr.. toss in all the marketing costs, blown motors, warranty work, continued payroll for those still installing, and updating the kit and the significantly oversized 15ksqft shop and suddenly Chris B isn't sitting on a uncle scrooge style pile of cash like most think. You also need to be aware that the AA's and ESS's of the world sell kits with significantly less hard parts, and use the stock DME which means less costs per kit sold.. but likely just as high of R&D costs.

Rustles my jimmies when people think that some magical $7k E46 m3 turbo kit is 'just around the corner' due to competition.. it isn't.
Their shop and turbo kit sales bring in about five percent of total income.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #70
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Who cares? There is like five of you that always cry about the dumbest crap, anyways back to thread.

You know you're Chris's key demographic right? Eat it up, he'll even spoon feed it to you if requested.

Quote:

Where's the other 95% coming from?

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #71
m5er

My Ride: 08 M3 G55 TT69Camaro
Quote:
I would never let SP touch anything i own.
m5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #72
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5er View Post
I would never let SP touch anything i own.
Link to the Gen 1 Maro? A wicked 750 Gen 2, black was on jegs front page. Get creative with some links.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #73
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:

The same guy that is putting it all down with no issues. BULLSH!T.

Last edited by xixixi; 11-13-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #74
widebody350

Quote:

I see where you are coming from and understand that it costs money to do the R&D, tooling, and warranty the kits. All I am saying is that I think that with competition we could see Stage 1s around $10k, which is the cost of an install of the kit plus some, cheaper than where they are currently priced at.

Are you suggesting that a Stage 1 HPF and a custom build from SP with similar performance would be similar in cost? I could see a big build being similar in price but small builds I would think HPF would actually be cheaper than custom work, due to the labor/fabrication work necessary.

Also, one reason why UGR has been so popular with Lamborghini/other exotic owners is the level of fit and finish, resulting in OEM appearance/quality.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #75
MarcusLSB

Quote:
The same guy that is putting it all down with no issues. BULLSH!T.
MSpired was telling me he can hook in 2nd no problem.. its a Stage 2.5 as well.. I'm not making THAT much more power than them and in 2nd on slicks on a prep'd track it wasn't hooking.. and that was on spring only! i can't imagine what it would feel like if these cars hooked in second.

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #76
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Quote:

Very well said!! Agree on everything 100%

I do not have HPF kit but I have some parts from them and everyone who seen the parts at the shop was amazed how well they made (intake manifold,AEM wiring harness,misc brackets) it took lotsa money and time to put those kits together... I might not agree with HPF 100% on everything but if it wasn't them and their R/D and money we would still be far away from daily driven turbo M3s...

Back on subject lets see some more vids

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #77
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Quote:
You know you're Chris's key demographic right? Eat it up, he'll even spoon feed it to you if requested.

Where's the other 95% coming from?
Their main income is on parts sales...not sure if its 95% but its huge percentage

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #78
m5er

My Ride: 08 M3 G55 TT69Camaro
Quote:
Link to the Gen 1 Maro? A wicked 750 Gen 2, black was on jegs front page. Get creative with some links.
Not sure what you mean.

The Firebird on Jegs was built by my friends though.
m5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #79
TaZaM3
Psshhhht M3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5er View Post
Not sure what you mean.

The Firebird on Jegs was built by my friends though.
Gotta see that beast of yours, heard its insane my man!
TaZaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #80
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PTGSC View Post
Their main income is on parts sales...not sure if its 95% but its huge percentage
Roughly 15% of our gross sales came from HPF parts last year. That includes all HPF parts for all cars we provide parts for and the labor to install them on the cars that come to our shop. The other 85% came from our on-line sales of other companies products. We have 3.5 million parts on-line with around 14,000 people per day on our site. Our shop takes up 15,000 sq feet of our 21,000 sq feet total with 5 lifts and 4 techs total (ChrisK + Aaron + 2 contracted techs John Reed and DOC Race). We are going to be adding more techs and more lifts over the next couple months. We signed a new lease and get to spend a large sum of money on remodeling the shop so that is also coming up in the next month. We are doing more cars and more types of cars as we expand our product lineup to the newer generations and expand our business to include standard service work. We are also jumping into other makes as we have a long history with several other types of cars. We have a lot of exciting things still coming out for the E46 M3. I haven't spoken much on the forums but it's a pleasure to see what everyone is up to these days and see how our customers are doing. It always puts a smile on my face to see others enjoying what we've produced.

I'm glad Marcus brought up the comments about our product and our price point. Thanks Marcus. We have not raised our prices on our M3 products one bit over the past 6 years, and in fact we've lowered them on many occasions. One thing we continue to do however is to improve our kits and we continue to provide more options for them.

Marcus is right... we don't have a ton of money sitting around and we have to be very careful where we spend it. I've blown my load on the development costs on all of the products that we now offer and it's not going to be paid back until we sell lots and lots of them. When we get more money, we end up spending it on growth with more products and more expansion anyway.

We've altered the company as of recently and moved more people into growth. This has been wonderful for me as I am no longer the one talking about everything we're doing. KrisG has done a great job with our blog and facebook pages, Derek has been working with me on the web-site and even though we switched back to the old one there will be some very impressive changes coming soon, Russ is cleaning up the content on the site and will be restructuring where parts are, we hired Trevor to help CJ out with all the shipping and receiving. CJ is the air traffic controller that is in charge of making sure every part gets to every customer and he's done a fantastic job. We hired another tech Aaron (worked for GReddy and SP Engineering) to get trained up by our lead technician ChrisK who's been with HPF for nearly 5 years in the shop and has single handidly supported every HPF turbo kit customer on the road. Kristin is still amazing in accounting and has run our accounting for nearly 5 years as well. Kirk and Erik are kicking butt in sales.

Josh and I have moved our day to day activities into the call center and the service department with the rest of the staff. We have multiple phones, computers, desks, etc. He and I sit with everyone else now and it's really allowed us to make quite a difference. Being immersed in everything that's going on has allowed us to improve efficiencies and that's what we've been working on since the switch occurred. Josh is the best of the best. He's been with me now since the beginning of HPF nearly 12 years ago. I work every day but I don't need to be here and that's because I have 100% faith in every decision and every step Josh takes.

I'm glad everyone had a great time at this event, enjoyed their cars, and most importantly was safe and made it home safely.

Take care,
Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 11-14-2012 at 05:03 AM.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote