E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)

Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)
Xenon lighting, HID kits, fog lights, BMW head units, navigation, speakers, subwoofers, In Car Electronics (I.C.E.), carputers, DDEs, angle eyes, halos, LED tail lights, interior lighting, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Head unit upgrade help!

Hey yall
Im looking to change out my factory head unit, to maybe a pioneer DIN sized head unit. Now, my main question and concern is- I have the premium harmon/kardon sound set up with the business cd receiver, the 2 subs on the deck, and the trunk mounted amp. I would like to know if aftermarket units are compatible with the stock HK system (minus the head unit). Anyone have an aftermatket head unit with the factory subs and amp? Experience with this set up? I will eventually change out the subs and amp, but everything is money.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks

Dedication

Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Grease_Monkey

My Ride: 2000 323ci
I have had some talk with a reputable shop about the dynavin head units, and they said that they dont push the AFTERMARKET systems at all. As far as compatibility, he said that the HK system wasnt really compatible with anything aftermarket and I should swap out the speakers.. But that was a salesman.. I have really no idea.. But it seems to me that you just gotta go big or go nowhere with these sound systems.. sorry bud. Hope that helps.. and hopefully someone can correct me!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
LV DON

My Ride: 330ci
I have a pioneer double din and it works great batter now then with stock its good
LV DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
LV DON

And I have a 330ci same set-up
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
taveet330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
I have had some talk with a reputable shop about the dynavin head units, and they said that they dont push the AFTERMARKET systems at all. As far as compatibility, he said that the HK system wasnt really compatible with anything aftermarket and I should swap out the speakers.. But that was a salesman.. I have really no idea.. But it seems to me that you just gotta go big or go nowhere with these sound systems.. sorry bud. Hope that helps.. and hopefully someone can correct me!
Thanks for the help bud. The dynavin is a great unit, if you can afford it that is. And I really dont trust salesmen too much. All they want is to make a sale and get comission. That's it. Im thinking about taking the risk of installing the headunit anyway, and taking the risk of it blowing my subs and amp, and using it as a reason to save and buy better ones

Dedication

Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
taveet330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV DON View Post
And I have a 330ci same set-up
Does the aftermarket head u it work with the factory HK subs and amp, or were those changed? Thanks

Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
LV DON

They work I have sub controls on my headunite so it really hits
Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
taveet330i

Thanks for all the help yall

Dedication

Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
JAYJAY_325i

My Ride: 04 325I BMW
Send a message via Yahoo to JAYJAY_325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV DON View Post
I have a pioneer double din and it works great batter now then with stock its good
Do you guys know the stock HK only works with the Pioneer double din or will it work with all after market head units?
JAYJAY_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
hybrid90

My Ride: 2011 335i
I have an '05 ZHP 330ci with the factory H/K system, no Nav. I've swapped out the head unit twice. The first time was to put in a Kenwood Flip Out w/Nav, and then the second time was to put in an Alpine single din CD Receiver. My installer does not use any adapters, but runs the head unit directly to the H/K amp and it seems to work just fine that way. The sound is great and everything works just as it should, including the "audio expander" button. A good installer will know how to do this and it won't be an issue. And this should be the case for ANY aftermarket head unit as I was told.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
JAYJAY_325i

My Ride: 04 325I BMW
Send a message via Yahoo to JAYJAY_325i
Thanks hybrid90
JAYJAY_325i is offline   Reply With Quote