E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #81
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Back in my day public University of California was only 4k/year tuition and fees. Add in cost of living and you can get by with 15k/year. That was easily recoverable with one year of engineer salary.

Now it's like 2-3 times that, ouch.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #82
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaHooch View Post
Yup, just one more thing the gov't fvcked up. They increased demand, which lead to a decreased supply, that ultimately lead to increased cost and the diminished value of a college education. They did the same thing to the housing market, and health care is next on their list.

The sooner people figure out that gov't is not the answer to their problems, the better off we will be.

We need more trade skills in this country...it's no wonder why mfg is going overseas...you can't build sh1t with a gender study degree.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
Back in my day public University of California was only 4k/year tuition and fees. Add in cost of living and you can get by with 15k/year. That was easily recoverable with one year of engineer salary.

Now it's like 2-3 times that, ouch.
Starting out with an engineering salary does make the cost of living more manageable and therefore more stress free as I have found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #83
Amoeba

Best of all a lowly bachelor in engineering is enough for the job. Pretty good bang for the buck.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #84
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Best of all a lowly bachelor in engineering is enough for the job. Pretty good bang for the buck.
Agreed. Next up on the list is a company paid MBA...really good bang for the buck.

Edit: meant to ask Amoeba. You're an engineer correct? Are you at a manager level?

Quote:
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 11-13-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #85
Amoeba

Yep I'm an engineer. Not interested in management. Turned down many chances to become one.

I enjoy creating things. Luckily engineering is one of those things where if you're good at it you can easily make more than your manager.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #86
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
If you don't mind me asking what companies are you guys working for? (Engineers)
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #87
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
When looking for schools, I applied for scholarships and when I only got a couple very specific ones I had to find a school that was more affordable. People just need to be realistic.

Really though, I think most of it is the student, not the school. There are good and crappy professors everywhere. The books are probably the same or very similar. The resources are out there if you have the desire to use them. If the student cares enough about the subject to ask questions of the professor during office hours, do additional research online, apply their knowledge, and get internships, he/she will be WAY smarter than a student who went to the best school in the country and did just enough to get the grades. Then, when it comes to jobs, you can easily highlight your skills and experience rather than trying to flaunt the school you went to. A good hiring manager won't care about your school, they will care about you as a person.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #88
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
How much is the monthly loan payment amount for $14,000/yr?

DW had over $100,000 in loans. I think it was like $120k or so. Consolidated. Roughly $400-500/mo over 30 years. Doesn't seem so bad. And this was when rates were much higher (graduated 03 like me). Did school rates jump or something?

I came out with roughly $30,000. 20 yr loan. $190/mo. Say it was $250/mo. Still seems pretty easy provided you have a job. Did things change dramatically or what?
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #89
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Yep I'm an engineer. Not interested in management. Turned down many chances to become one.

I enjoy creating things. Luckily engineering is one of those things where if you're good at it you can easily make more than your manager.
Good to know. I can definitely see that in the advancement structure within my organization. I wouldn't mind being director of Research & Business Development and Product Development down the line though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
If you don't mind me asking what companies are you guys working for? (Engineers)
I'm working just east of you. For a company called Printpack Inc. as a product development engineer. Most of my work revolves around chemistry, food science, polymers, and plastic processing to make consumer products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
How much is the monthly loan payment amount for $14,000/yr?

DW had over $100,000 in loans. I think it was like $120k or so. Consolidated. Roughly $400-500/mo over 30 years. Doesn't seem so bad. And this was when rates were much higher (graduated 03 like me). Did school rates jump or something?

I came out with roughly $30,000. 20 yr loan. $190/mo. Say it was $250/mo. Still seems pretty easy provided you have a job. Did things change dramatically or what?
The current rate varies on federal loans between 3-6.5% I believe.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #90
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
So Jenni had no business attending college? You are so full of shiit.
This. Those that cant afford insane tuition prices without taking on debt have no business attending college? OP, I hope you're not serious.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #91
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Agreed. Next up on the list is a company paid MBA...really good bang for the buck.

Edit: meant to ask Amoeba. You're an engineer correct? Are you at a manager level?
Meh...gf is getting her MBA as it's almost needed in the consulting world..me personally - I would rather get an MSEE. I'm trying to find a Masters program in Econometrics, but it will most likely end up being in MSEE.

I wouldn't do it for the money either, it's just that's the program where they hide all the REALLY cool stuff I'm interested in.

Quote:

I love being an engineer, for these reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Cox Communications currently. Entire work history has been spent in Telecom.

Last edited by yousharenow; 11-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #92
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
This. Those that cant afford insane tuition prices without taking on debt have no business attending college? OP, I hope you're not serious.
Call it what you want. I call it personal responsibility. Knowing what your possible career might be and how much you will make should dictate the maximum amount one should borrow. People are free to do as they wish but when sh!t hits the fan because some people are irresponsible and insensitive to how the real world operates don't go blaming anything and everyone for your mistakes. Also because so many young people are going to school to piddle paddle around it increases the cost for those of us who truly want an education that directly correlates to our future careers.

Edit: and it appears there are several members here that are just as wise and responsible. I'm not the only one.

Quote:

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 11-14-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #93
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
I still don't understand why our college is so expensive compared to, the world.

For taking 11hrs its $1400 at my local CC. I was paying $41/hr in Dallas...whats the deal?
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #94
rjskalet

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve

Call it what you want. I call it personal responsibility. Knowing what your possible career might be and how much you will make should dictate the maximum amount one should borrow. People are free to do as they wish but when sh!t hits the fan because some people are irresponsible and insensitive to how the real world operates don't go blaming anything and everyone for your mistakes. Also because so many young people are going to school to piddle paddle around it increases the cost for those of us who truly want an education that directly correlates to our future careers.
This is the same way I think. I feel like I'm lucky for an engineer because my tuition isn't as much as some of the bigger schools in the state but I know I will have the means to pay off my loans when I get done with school. My sister on the other hand is going to have a lot harder time paying off her school loans just because of the major she chose. I see this first hand. I don't see the point going to a big university if you know when you are done with school you are going to have a difficult time paying off the loan or their parents are going to pay for their tuition. School has become more of a social event then anything else. People are going to college for the social life and not to learn. I have to learn because well engineers have zero social life.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #95
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I feel like I've done pretty well for myself with a liberal arts degree. I've never had issues paying off my loans.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #96
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I feel like I've done pretty well for myself with a liberal arts degree. I've never had issues paying off my loans.
You're an exception. Besides you went to school before our time and avoided the influx of people trying to go.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #97
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
my kids will most definitely be taking community college core classes and then transferring to a 4 year to finish a degree. hell, i'll buy them each a car if they go that route.
217Bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #98
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
You're an exception. Besides you went to school before our time and avoided the influx of people trying to go.
you make it sound like I dissected fvcking dinosaurs in biology class or something
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #99
rjskalet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
my kids will most definitely be taking community college core classes and then transferring to a 4 year to finish a degree. hell, i'll buy them each a car if they go that route.
What kind of car? Money for car could be greater than tuition
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #100
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
you make it sound like I dissected fvcking dinosaurs in biology class or something
Maybe you did. Maybe you contributed to dinosaur genome sequencing and development of a cloning process.

Quote: