E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #81
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
I thought John was the lead technician or did I miss something?
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #82
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
I thought John was the lead technician or did I miss something?
v
v

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
We have had some turnover but have taken advantage of this situation by recruiting Pham from DOC Race to modify and create the remainder of 335i single turbo kit to match the new turbo manifold. We've also recruited John Reed to do our tuning on not only the HPF M3's, but the Z4M, 135i/335i and any other cars we decide to do.

Last edited by SPDu4ea; 11-13-2012 at 11:48 PM.
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #83
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
John is not at HPF anymore?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #84
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Doing the addition/subtraction of people from Chris's post it would seem that Champ, Joey and John left.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #85
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
That sucks.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #86
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Doing the addition/subtraction of people from Chris's post it would seem that Champ, Joey and John left.
That is correct. Those that quit have stopped by several times since then and are always welcome to come by and visit. We're very thankful to have retained ChrisK who has been here longer than all of our other techs and we are supplementing him with Aaron Van who worked for GReddy and SP Engineering, DOC Race (Pham and Tyler) and John Reed. We now have a strong base to build from and are now able to get cars done quicker and introduce more applications. We will be expanding the shop quite a bit in the next few months as we gear up for the next race season and will be hiring more techs as well.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 11-14-2012 at 02:07 AM.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #87
MarcusLSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
That is correct. We knew it would be more cost effective for us to close the doors to the shop side rather than to continue to operate it at a loss. We also knew that if I went into the shop and changed all of the processes that there was a potential our techs would leave. About a month ago I spent a week with my new desk and computer in the service department. After one week three technicians were gone and one remained. Those that quit have stopped by several times since then and are always welcome to come by and visit. We're very thankful to have retained ChrisK who has been here longer than all of our other techs and we are supplementing him with Aaron Van who worked for GReddy and SP Engineering, DOC Race (Pham and Tyler) and John Reed. We now have a strong base to build from and are now able to get cars done quicker and introduce more applications. We will be expanding the shop quite a bit in the next few months as we gear up for the next race season and will be hiring more techs as well.

Chris.
Wait, you fired John, Joey and Champ?! Or they left? This is important to me (and I'm sure others)...

David may have been embezzling (shame on him) but people bought parts from him because they liked him, and he handled functions. I feel the same way about John/Champ and Joey (Chris K as well obviously).. everytime I stopped by the shop we'd all go out to eat (Kirk included) and hang out .. top notch guys.. many of us used HPF (not just because of the great product) but because of the awesome techs!

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #88
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Wait, you fired John, Joey and Champ?! Or they left? This is important to me (and I'm sure others)...

David may have been embezzling (shame on him) but people bought parts from him because they liked him, and he handled functions. I feel the same way about John/Champ and Joey (Chris K as well obviously).. everytime I stopped by the shop we'd all go out to eat (Kirk included) and hang out .. top notch guys.. many of us used HPF (not just because of the great product) but because of the awesome techs!
Thanks for the kind words about our staff. I know everyone loves them and that's why I'm so picky. I did not fire those three techs or push them out. They chose to quit on their own. They did a great job here for us and we were sad to see them go. We will still take you and our other customers out to lunch when you show up. ChrisK and everyone else is still here and now there are some new people here now that I hope you will all like.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 11-14-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #89
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #90
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Holy crap John is gone? This is horrible news... He was an amazing tech and my go to guy when I would f%#k something up... This is a sad day
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #91
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Great Great vids guys. Marcus get that car of yours dialed in with super sticky tires bro!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #92
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
Holy crap John is gone? This is horrible news... He was an amazing tech and my go to guy when I would f%#k something up... This is a sad day
It was a sad week several weeks ago however I always find opportunities that present themselves when changes like this occur. John Truong did the tuning on the HPF M3's. Now John Reed does all the tuning. With this trade we now have the option of running any ECU we want on any car we want. We are now migrating our staged tune maps to all of the new options that are now available. John Reed was also quick to jump on the other projects we have in the shop that have been at a stand still like the HPF Turbo Z4M. Working with John Reed gives us the ability to bring products to market quicker and tunes to market much faster. He also provides a great training resource for the rest of our staff.

ChrisK is still in charge of getting every car dialed perfectly and he is a perfectionist. From every bolt nut and washer to every aspect of our turbo system, ChrisK makes sure every customer has a perfectly running car when it leaves our shop and afterwards as well. He provides many of the answers to everyones questions on the tech line and provides updates to the trouble shooting section on our web-site when new solutions to problems are found. He has been troubleshooting HPF M3's for the past 4 years both in our shop and out in customers hands and has helped us build a better product.

Ryan Champ has been replaced with Aaron Van. Aaron has a Degree with honors in Welding Technology from the University of Hawaii. He's a certified ASE technician worked for GReddy, SP Engineering, Race Marque Systems, Munkywurks Garage and Priam's Automotive Service. He built the turbo kit, roll cage, and suspension on the Scion-GReddy FR-S drift car driven exclusively in the Formula-D 2012 season. He's also designed and fabbed turbo kits and performance parts for the Lamborghini, Ferrari and the R35 GT-R. He designed and fabricated exhaust systems for GReddy and has designed and fabricated performance parts for all of the companies listed above. Aaron is already proving to be a great asset to our company and we have already started utilizing his talents on a big single GT42R Supra in our shop.

Joey's product assembly duties will be picked up by ChrisK and Aaron temporarily until we hire a product assembly technician.

In addition, we've worked out a partnership with DOC Race who worked all weekend in our shop to complete the HPF 335i single turbo kits with the new twin scroll manifold. The 335i will be up and running very very soon and we will be taking the BMW 335i to the same level we took the E46 M3 to.

We also have several companies that are now designing and building parts for us. All of this new manpower is very exciting. Josh and I have shifted our focus to bringing more high quality HPF products to market in a much quicker fashion and improving our processes internally so we can do a better job with our core business. I love change and am looking forward to the next race season as well. This year you will see both HPF M3's at many events and they will only be getting faster.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 11-14-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #93
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
The same guy that is putting it all down with no issues. BULLSH!T.
I did with my 305 mickeys and my old turbo. This new turbo is turning out to be a different story.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #94
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
John was definitely my go to guy, best tech around imo. Sucks that Champ and Joey are also gone, great guys. Sad day for E46 M3 turbo cars

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #95
HPF Kirk
Past Site Sponsor

No doubt John was a great guy and tech/tuner. He orchestrated the mad dash build of the Drag and Track Car builds as well but Chris K trained Champ and Joey on our kit and the E46 M3 platform along with John. He trained and learned under John for the last 5 years and for the first 2.5 years it was just Chris K, John and JP. Basically if you had work done on your M3 in the last 2-3 years its 100% sure it was touched or completely done by Chris K. He handles the tech line and many of you know him. I'm not saying John wasn't amazing and that I don't miss him (cause I do) but give Chris K some credit. There is a reason he's the one that answers the tech line when you have a problem.. He knows his S*#T!

Last edited by HPF Kirk; 11-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
HPF Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #96
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
There's no doubt ChrisK is the man and knows his stuff. He's been there to help me every step of the way, especially on the tech line. He is definitely an HPF OG! We are all just saying that we will miss John and would say the exact same thing about ChrisK or Kirk, if they were to ever leave the company. Still looking forward to meeting the new crew, it sounds like you guys have a lot more manpower and tuning experience to push out more cars with different platforms.

Last edited by Rockyminator; 11-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #97
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
John, Joey and Champ are awesome guys. I personally don't think anyone myself included could ever do a better job putting something together on our cars and with a level of precision and speed that John Truong always has. I'm sure the new guys coming into HPF are competent...but the level of detail that John always had with our cars...concerns me that he is gone. Sad day regardless.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #98
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
John is a personal friend of mine and I wish him and his family well, this is not the last we have heard from him! Chris K is an awesome tech and has worked on my car for years, for years he has been manning the HPF tech line. Awesome run's guy's seriously great kills!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #99
MarcusLSB

There is no doubt that Chris K is talented.. trust me.. I know. However (and this is not in COMPARISON to Chris K).. people like John T. do not come around often. I work with many people, as an employer, a peer, a consultant, etc.. never has someone impressed me as much as John. He is the total package. Work ethic, personality, dedication, and leader.. I'm willing to bet he's waiting to see what his options are as this just became public I'm willing to bet any local shop with the bandwidth to bring him on would..

New Build by Lab22

Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #100
bluba

My Ride: 2002 m3 HPF stage 2
Quote:
MSpired was telling me he can hook in 2nd no problem.. its a Stage 2.5 as well.. I'm not making THAT much more power than them and in 2nd on slicks on a prep'd track it wasn't hooking.. and that was on spring only! i can't imagine what it would feel like if these cars hooked in second.
So why aren't you hooking up is it because you don't have a solid axle and suspension? I see tons of cars on the Quarter mile Hook hard from launch through 2nd gear on SLICKS With more power and far faster times.