E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex View Post
I trade stock for a private firm

I actually found this video on one of the trading blogs I follow.

http://www.zentrader.ca/blog/?p=15836

But I guess if wall st. traders watch this stuff it must be totally bunk...
no wonder the stock market is dropping right now. The traders are watching this crap instead of real financial news.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
What qualifies someone as a physicist or a doctor? A piece of paper? Interest in the topic? Experience?

If anyone here can show the rest of us how they have consciousness or what they were before they were born on this planet then maybe they should speak up. Otherwise accept the fact that you have no effing idea about anything in this "reality" other than what has been spoon fed to you by "established" science/media etc.
Research the Higgs Boson and the Miller-Urey experiment.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Do any people in Mexico/Central America/South America self-identify as Mayan these days?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Do any people in Mexico/Central America/South America self-identify as Mayan these days?
yes, amazingly enough. I'm still not sure if it's on par with identifying as "Persian" or not, but I think it's close.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
yes, amazingly enough. I'm still not sure if it's on par with identifying as "Persian" or not, but I think it's close.
Interesting. Is it a recent trend or has it been going on for a long time?

Oh, hey: I know! I'll go google it myself.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
CollinsE90

Quote:
From what I know there are mixed breeds between people that come from the Mayan line of decent and a different, more current, line. They're viewed badly like a half-blood from Harry Potter.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Interesting. Is it a recent trend or has it been going on for a long time?

Oh, hey: I know! I'll go google it myself.
you win a gold star for the day.

I remember the question coming up in my Latin American history class, and that was back in 2004.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
I trade stock for a private firm

I actually found this video on one of the trading blogs I follow.

http://www.zentrader.ca/blog/?p=15836

But I guess if wall st. traders watch this stuff it must be totally bunk...
A lot of commodities traders have zero formal education, so yeah, I would be quick to disregard anything they have to say regarding the sciences. Just because a person trades stocks and writes a blog does not mean they have even the slightest insight to any formal science. And even if it was someone with formal math training such as a quant, I would still take what they have to say with a HUGE grain of salt. They may understand some higher level math but that doesn't qualify them to speak on physics. Finance is not a science, and if you've read any history of financial analytics then you'll know that some very intelligent people failed at attempting to treat it as such.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!

Last edited by cowmoo32; 11-14-2012 at 12:09 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
So these looked tasty

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
Wes

Quote:
Quote:
Mayans are genetically different than other groups indigenous to the area. There are still many communities made up of 100% pure-blood mayans. So yes, they are still around lol. Their language, food, religion, customs, etc... all still exist. The only thing that they have lost through history is their written language. When the Spanish came, they destroyed almost every written document.

Persia was an empire composed of many different types of people.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Mayans are genetically different than other groups indigenous to the area. There are still many communities made up of 100% pure-blood mayans. So yes, they are still around lol. Their language, food, religion, customs, etc... all still exist. The only thing that they have lost through history is their written language. When the Spanish came, they destroyed almost every written document.

Persia was an empire composed of many different types of people.
thank you wes!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #32
Wes

Quote:
thank you wes!

You honkeys are so ignorant and can be so insensitive toward minorities
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
Drex

My Ride: Cosmic Waves
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
A lot of commodities traders have zero formal education, so yeah, I would be quick to disregard anything they have to say regarding the sciences. Just because a person trades stocks and writes a blog does not mean they have even the slightest insight to any formal science. And even if it was someone with formal math training such as a quant, I would still take what they have to say with a HUGE grain of salt. They may understand some higher level math but that doesn't qualify them to speak on physics. Finance is not a science, and if you've read any history of financial analytics then you'll know that some very intelligent people failed at attempting to treat it as such.
I answered your question. I did not say that traders were scientists.

I put these ideas and videos out there to expand people's thinking a little bit. Just because your society says one thing does not mean it is correct. Some cultures have unbroken verbal chains of knowledge going back thousands of years. 95% of westerners dont even know a damn thing about their grandparents a few generations back or where their families came from...Heritage has been all but whiped from modern society and then we shun the people around the world that have kept their heritage and we call them "primitive" or "tribal" as if they are some lesser being with no real knowledge. What if it's the other way around?

Last edited by Drex; 11-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #34
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
I answered your question. I did not say that traders were scientists.

I put these ideas and videos out there to expand people's thinking a little bit. Just because your society says one thing does not mean it is correct. Some cultures have unbroken verbal chains of knowledge going back thousands of years. 95% of westerners dont even know a damn thing about their grandparents a few generations back or where their families came from...Heritage has been all but whiped from modern society and then we shun the people around the world that have kept their heritage and we call them "primitive" or "tribal" as if they are some lesser being with no real knowledge. What if it's the other way around?
wait... oral tradition trumps school education when it comes to particle physics?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #35
CollinsE90

I could imagine there are purple horses that have never been proven, doesn't mean thinking outside of the box ignorantly is beneficial.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #36
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
You honkeys are so ignorant and can be so insensitive toward minorities
if they'd just stop being minorities and start becoming extinctities, then they wouldn't have that problem, now would they?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #37
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Drex, why do you post these things here. No one buys it? All that ever happens are a bunch of people that tell you you're wrong and crazy.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
Drex

My Ride: Cosmic Waves
Quote:
wait... oral tradition trumps school education when it comes to particle physics?
wait...a textbook or scientific journal written by someone you've never even met trumps inner knowing?
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #39
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
wait...a textbook or scientific journal written by someone you've never even met trumps inner knowing?
so what is your intuition telling you about particle physics today?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #40
CollinsE90

Quote:
I didn't know Ben Franklin, but I'm pretty sure electricity is real. Your logic is more flawed than your beliefs.