E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #121
eksath

My Ride: 02 330ci TopazBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
Ok, I have decided to make a thread depicting all of the common oil leaks on the e46 (non m3). There are numerous threads on here asking where your oil leak is coming from so hopefully this will help. Best way to determine where an oil leak is if you can't tell from tracing the oil is to completely clean all of the oil off with brake clean or something similar and and wipe it down to where its completely clean.
This is very useful! Thanks for the detailed info!

www.starracer.us
---------------------------------------------
People believe in Ghosts, UFOs, talking to the dead, advertising, magic, curses, voodoo dolls, Elvis' death faked, the Great Pumpkin, Tupac still lives, the WWF, that all the moon walks were staged, real unstaged audience questions in talk shows, JFK's conspiracy assination theories, TWA 800 shoot down conspiracy theories, the image of the Virgin Mary appearing on a left over pizza, that Dr. Laura has no bias, that homosexuality is a choice, the guests on Jerry Springer, the TV illness of the month, that guns don't hurt people do, that CNN doesn't hype stories, the Osbornes not being staged, that a pill can make you loose weight without ever dieting or excercising, that there's a cure for baldness, aging and being short, that Britney Spears doesn't lip sync, That KFC is a healthy food choice, that the British Royal family isn't disfunctional, that there really were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that all Arabs are the same, that Muslims encompass everyone from Indonesia to Morocco and they are all extremists, that all Americans are the same, that's it's always cold in Canada, that cigarettes aren't addictive, that it's ok to drink but not ok to smoke up.........and on and on and on and on...... so what on Earth makes anyone believe that there is something unusual about people fearing the number 13 or astrology?
eksath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #122
Dollar-E46

My Ride: E46
Pic's very helpfull!
Dollar-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #123
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Sticky!!!
+1

OP, great write-up!

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #124
323GSR

My Ride: E46CI
Great post/thread.

323GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #125
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
curious, did you ever figure it out??
My bad...

It was my windshield washer fluid tank leaking. It did this for a few days then stopped. Found the tank empty, filled it with water to see if that was it and Bingo!
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #126
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
My bad...
It was my windshield washer fluid tank leaking. It did this for a few days then stopped. Found the tank empty, filled it with water to see if that was it and Bingo!
Oh good, didn't think it was diff leaking
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #127
Arod0690

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Thought i was leaking changed all of it! Except for the vanos hose. Prob should do that. But im instead burning oil, even more after replacing both Cats entire exhaust and o2 sensors.hate my life
Arod0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #128
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arod0690 View Post
Thought i was leaking changed all of it! Except for the vanos hose. Prob should do that. But im instead burning oil, even more after replacing both Cats entire exhaust and o2 sensors.hate my life
These cars have a huge crankcase, so if you are burning oil to the point of it noticably disappearing on the dipstick, then that's probably burning quite a bit. Enough that I would think you would see evidence of an oily tail pipe at the very least, maybe even see some blue smoke in the exhaust. How much oil are you losing?
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #129
Arod0690

Yes sir. To all the above! Hoeever i changed the plugs twice in this past month and this last time i noticed they were sorta wet, one mechanic suggested i may be running rich. I unplugged maf, and it runs much better period. But I don't know if that will solve my oil burn.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #130
Arod0690

This plug was removed two weeks after replacing it. It looks dry there but it was moist previously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	477404  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #131
turnerk2

My Ride: 02 325i
vcg leak

"so I just recently replaced my valve cover gasket because I was leaking oil. however it is still leaking. I usually have a lot of oil on top of my oil filter housing, do you think it is my oil filter gasket leaking? is there any other way to tell what the leaking is from. it is definitely the oil that is leaking as my oil is usually low."

**first time i did my vcg it leaked on other side down towards SAP and washer fluid, i torqued it down too much, u might wanna check your torques on the bolts, like 8lbs or thereabouts.

Last edited by turnerk2; 11-13-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: forgot to include quote
turnerk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #132
Mhnd

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerk2 View Post
"so I just recently replaced my valve cover gasket because I was leaking oil. however it is still leaking. I usually have a lot of oil on top of my oil filter housing, do you think it is my oil filter gasket leaking? is there any other way to tell what the leaking is from. it is definitely the oil that is leaking as my oil is usually low."

**first time i did my vcg it leaked on other side down towards SAP and washer fluid, i torqued it down too much, u might wanna check your torques on the bolts, like 8lbs or thereabouts.
Check your oil filter housing gasket.
Mhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #133
turnerk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhnd View Post
Check your oil filter housing gasket.
yeah ima do that this coming week, it looks pretty nasy down there, not lookin fwd to tearing all the other stuff away to get to it.. if/when u did yours did u use rtv or gasket alone?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #134
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
yeah ima do that this coming week, it looks pretty nasy down there, not lookin fwd to tearing all the other stuff away to get to it.. if/when u did yours did u use rtv or gasket alone?
No RTV needed for that one, gasket alone is fine. I just did mine about 4-6 weeks ago and it was a bit of a job. The old gasket was so brittle and cracked that I couldn't get it out with the filter housing on, needed to remove the coolant hoses and take it out of the engine bay to get a good angle and good light to get it out. Prior to my fixing it, the oil was leaking about a quart every 2-3 weeks, which is pretty massive. Afterwards, I thought it was still leaking because I was still seeing oil. But in reality, there was so much oil all over everything down there, that it was old oil still dripping to the ground. After a few days of driving it cleared up completely and not a drop now. Overall, maybe 4-5 hours, nothing extremely difficult to get to, and well worth the time.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #135
turnerk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzed View Post
No RTV needed for that one, gasket alone is fine. I just did mine about 4-6 weeks ago and it was a bit of a job. The old gasket was so brittle and cracked that I couldn't get it out with the filter housing on, needed to remove the coolant hoses and take it out of the engine bay to get a good angle and good light to get it out. Prior to my fixing it, the oil was leaking about a quart every 2-3 weeks, which is pretty massive. Afterwards, I thought it was still leaking because I was still seeing oil. But in reality, there was so much oil all over everything down there, that it was old oil still dripping to the ground. After a few days of driving it cleared up completely and not a drop now. Overall, maybe 4-5 hours, nothing extremely difficult to get to, and well worth the time.
hopin i have same results, crazy how much sludge is down in there
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #136
Mhnd

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
I did mine about two weeks ago, no need for RTV only used Gasket.

Good luck!
Mhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #137
turnerk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhnd View Post
I did mine about two weeks ago, no need for RTV only used Gasket.

Good luck!
thanks! do u reckon maybe 15lbs torque will be ok for the housing itself?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #138
damian12

My Ride: E46 M3
Leak onto my floormat

anyone know why I would have fluid leaking onto my drivers side floor mat? I would guess it's brake/clutch fluid but do not know. I hope it's not the master cylinder? Could that get into the cabin ? I'd say it's leaking right below and between clutch and brake pedal. Thanks
damian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #139
scim459

My Ride: 2002 330ci
it may be clogged sunroof drains
scim459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #140
damian12

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scim459 View Post
it may be clogged sunroof drains
It's hitting my rubber floor mats and truly seems like a fluid vs. water. Water would dry up eventually and it hasn't rained in a while.
damian12 is offline   Reply With Quote