E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Marinerd

My Ride: 09 328i
FINALLY fixed my vacuum leak problems

So pretty much ever since I got the car I've been battling the dreaded p0171/174 code problems. I'd replaced pretty much everything you can think of relating to vacuum:

CCV (Valve and Hoses)
Fuel Pump and Filter
Upper and Lower tubes to the MAF
All SAP hoses
VCG
DISA seal
ICV seal
You freaking name it....

Finally I read a thread about one specific very small and practically free potential fix.

Back behind the Manifold where the SAP hoses goes next to the firewall there's an opening tubed up with a rubber cap. Pic below where the white cap is (not my picture)......

So that white thing on there is not what is stock. Its a black rubber cap that's apparently prone to get brittle and cracked thus allowing un-metered air into the system causing the lean codes. The cap is below (again not my picture).....

Well my cap looked almost identical to that with another small crack on the other side. Since I couldn't find anything around the house to replace it and didn't really feel like going out to a parts store to find something I decided to MacGuyver it.

I grabbed some Gorilla glue and generously applied it. Let it get tacky then held it till it dried. I then grabbed some electric tape and wrapped it up real good. Gave it a couple more hours to really cure and reinstalled it.

After putting everything back together, clearing my codes, and eventually driving over 1000 miles I'm glad to say this very simple fix solved my very annoying lean code problems. What a relief. Hopefully this will help some of you guys with the same symptoms.

Just thought I'd also include some of the symptoms I got because of the lean codes.....none. I literally wasn't getting any noticeable symptoms. No rough idles, hesitant or weak starts from stop, nothing. That's what made it even more frustrating. Everything was running just fine with the codes. The only thing I would probably say is my gas mileage was definitely taking a hit, and now I've noticed it getting generously better.

Later all.
Marinerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
I have the same problem but it only happens in the winter. here in nc when it gets cold i will get these two codes clear them and every winter it comes back has been happening for three years now. if i do this to my car and it fixes it, i will forever owe you a thank you!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Marinerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHK&BAK3 View Post
I have the same problem but it only happens in the winter. here in nc when it gets cold i will get these two codes clear them and every winter it comes back has been happening for three years now. if i do this to my car and it fixes it, i will forever owe you a thank you!
Yeah my codes were definitely more prominent in the winter. They'd simply stay on. Once the warm weather rolled around it would be a lot more intermittent. Usually on for couple hundred miles, off for a couple hundred miles. Now its gone for good.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Haven't seen that part here described before. Nice work man

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
While the rubber cap you found will certainly cause the problem you describe when the cap is in the condition you show, I'm not sure fixing it with Gorilla glue is the right thing to do. You can buy those rubber caps at the auto parts store.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Marinerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
While the rubber cap you found will certainly cause the problem you describe when the cap is in the condition you show, I'm not sure fixing it with Gorilla glue is the right thing to do. You can buy those rubber caps at the auto parts store.
Yeah it was more of a temporary thing to see if it would solve the issue. I'm still procrastinating the search for a suitable replacement. Just been busy.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Scubajet

My Ride: 2000 323I
I'm having some vacuum probs as well, but I'm not sure where to find that plug/cap. Do you have to take off MAF and boot to ICV to see it under there? I cant find it otherwise. Thanks for your help!
Scubajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Marinerd

Yes, you need to remove the cabin filter holder, airbox, maf, and boots at the very minimum. It would also help and give you more room to work to take out to separator between the brake components/ECU and the engine pictured below.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
46driver

My Ride: 330i
I hope it works for me

I just bought my e46 and it has the same lean code with no symptoms. tomorrow was my tear apart the intake day but now hopefully I can focus my search. great pics.U

Last edited by 46driver; 06-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.
46driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
46driver,

Suggest you read the first link below in my signature. I think you might find it helpful?

Good luck resolving your issue.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
46driver

My Ride: 330i
My Cap was barely cracked, replaced it and still got the codes. On to the links for further trouble shooting.
46driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
46driver,

Suggest you read the first link below in my signature. I think you might find it helpful?

If you follow his "process" in his link and you don't fix your problem, you either didn't read enough or shouldn't be working on the car period... His link is a gold mine of info and, if followed properly, will resolve any vacuum leak issue..... Just say'n.....
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Quenotte

My Ride: E46
Is it part #11 61 1 437 560 ??
Quenotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
tcek

My Ride: BWM 325Xi - 2004
i guess we can assume that's not your crotch in the picture. lol
tcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Marinerd

Ha. Definitely not my crotch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenotte View Post
Is it part #11 61 1 437 560 ??
Probably. Not exactly sure from pics of the part. If you go to any major parts store you can find vacuum caps pretty easily.

Last edited by Marinerd; 06-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
eph6jonprice

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
46driver,

I am working through your extremely helpful link, but I am getting code P1192, and am having very "jerky" driving when the engine is cold that seems to mostly subside when it is hot... any advice on this code? Replaced all four O2 sensors and found that my fuel filter didn't even have a line attached to the f-connector! But honestly, after removing the DISA and inspecting, and fixing the line to the fuel filter regulator, the car has driven even rougher than before, but could be a coincidence since the cold weather really just hit. Thanks for any suggestions!
eph6jonprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by eph6jonprice View Post
I am working through your extremely helpful link, but I am getting code P1192, and am having very "jerky" driving when the engine is cold that seems to mostly subside when it is hot... any advice on this code? Replaced all four O2 sensors and found that my fuel filter didn't even have a line attached to the f-connector! But honestly, after removing the DISA and inspecting, and fixing the line to the fuel filter regulator, the car has driven even rougher than before, but could be a coincidence since the cold weather really just hit. Thanks for any suggestions!
Me too, when reconnecting the f connector hose to fuel filter, my car initially ran worse ! Has cleared up over time but still not perfect...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
eph6jonprice

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlorder View Post
Me too, when reconnecting the f connector hose to fuel filter, my car initially ran worse ! Has cleared up over time but still not perfect...
Turns out I was 3 quarts low on transmission fluid, which no one mentioned was not the "ATF" cap on the top of the engine... I'm sure this was a rookie mistake, but where was the logic in putting the initials for Auto Tran Fluid on the Power Steering reservoir? Anyway, off the rant, definitely check your transmission fluid, could have really ruined it if I had driven it that low much longer!
eph6jonprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
in for my search later today.
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eph6jonprice View Post
Turns out I was 3 quarts low on transmission fluid, which no one mentioned was not the "ATF" cap on the top of the engine... I'm sure this was a rookie mistake, but where was the logic in putting the initials for Auto Tran Fluid on the Power Steering reservoir? Anyway, off the rant, definitely check your transmission fluid, could have really ruined it if I had driven it that low much longer!
It is confusing for people coming from other cars. The cap says "Use ATF only" and "ZF" if it's OEM. That's confusing since a lot of people know the cars have ZF transmissions. It should say something like "Power Steering reservoir USE ATF ONLY".
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote