E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.38 average.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #4681
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
CCV, OFHG, VCG all replaced in the past 9 months and are working fine. No leaks anywhere. My assumption is that I am burning oil due to using Mobil 5w-30...another member had the same issue and after using spec oil (ie Castrol 05-30) his problem went away. I'm going to switch back to Castrol and see if I still have the same issue. I can help with the CCV/OFHG when you are ready, if you need.
Yah, most probably because you are using the unapproved oil. Just switch to castrol edge 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40 and see if you still loose oil. Or take it to dealership for $80 oil change. It comes almost to that total anyway with filter and your time.

Thanks for the offer on helping me out man. I have a DISA bolt stripped, thats what has been stopping me from getting anywhere near the OFHG and CCV. Once I get that out I will contact you. Also, I might have to borrow your driveway, no garage in my apartment complex and people look at me weird when I am working on the car in the parking lot. Happened when I did the oil change and fuel filter change a couple of weeks ago, lol

I have a lot of parts to replace but the lack of place and tools are holding me. FCABs, RTABs, RSMs, CCV, OFHG, belts, exhaust CPS, intake boots, etc.. etc.. etc.. My girlfriend is already mad at me because of the parts laying around in our apartment. She says, why do you buy it if you are not going to replace them.

I was finally able to change the fuel filter last week. At least one thing is off the Checklist.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #4682
DenverSooner

My Ride: 2014 328d xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Yah, most probably because you are using the unapproved oil. Just switch to castrol edge 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40 and see if you still loose oil. Or take it to dealership for $80 oil change. It comes almost to that total anyway with filter and your time.

Thanks for the offer on helping me out man. I have a DISA bolt stripped, thats what has been stopping me from getting anywhere near the OFHG and CCV. Once I get that out I will contact you. Also, I might have to borrow your driveway, no garage in my apartment complex and people look at me weird when I am working on the car in the parking lot. Happened when I did the oil change and fuel filter change a couple of weeks ago, lol

I have a lot of parts to replace but the lack of place and tools are holding me. FCABs, RTABs, RSMs, CCV, OFHG, belts, exhaust CPS, intake boots, etc.. etc.. etc.. My girlfriend is already mad at me because of the parts laying around in our apartment. She says, why do you buy it if you are not going to replace them.

I was finally able to change the fuel filter last week. At least one thing is off the Checklist.
No problem. I'm not sure about a solution to your stripped DISA bolt, but once you get that figured out, hit me up. I have just about everything I can think of, tool-wise, and a garage. Also, being former military, I have access to the DIY garage down at the Air Force Academy, which has a lift. I'll be using that soon for my transmission fluid swap.

Last edited by DenverSooner; 11-14-2012 at 11:42 AM.
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #4683
docwyte

My Ride: '89 944 Turbo
Do you have to schedule time to use the DIY shop lift at the Academy? I wish they had a shop at Buckley...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic14767_1.gif
docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #4684
DenverSooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Do you have to schedule time to use the DIY shop lift at the Academy? I wish they had a shop at Buckley...
It's first come, first serve. You have to go get a "card" which takes about 20 minutes, before you are allowed to use it, then just wait in line. As far as I know, this is the only auto hobby shop left in Colorado since they closed the one at Peterson.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #4685
docwyte

My Ride: '89 944 Turbo
Do you get the card at the shop? How many lifts do they have and what time do they open? Priority given to active duty?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/signaturepics/sigpic14767_1.gif
docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #4686
DenverSooner

Yes, you get the card at the shop. I stopped by on an off day and got my card, then showed up first thing Saturday morning about 20 minutes before they opened to get a spot on the lifts. They have 3 power lifts/lube stations, 14 stations in total, 2 engine rebuild stations, a tire changing machine, bench grinder, drill press, and hydraulic press. There is a shop mechanic available for rotor turning, alignment, tire balancing etc. Hrs are Wed & Thur, 11-8, Fri,-Sun, 9-6. Their number is 719-333-4752. 4562 Capps Rd. I'm not sure about active duty priority.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #4687
BMWchubbs

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 M3
I run the TWS Castrol Motorsport in my E46 M3. In my turbo E36 M3 I run Shell Rotella. We stock ENEOS, Motul, and Joe Gibbs. I'll be switching to Motul on the E46 M3 once I get back from Austin next week.

BMWchubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #4688
trj

Quote:
No problem. I'm not sure about a solution to your stripped DISA bolt, but once you get that figured out, hit me up. I have just about everything I can think of, tool-wise, and a garage. Also, being former military, I have access to the DIY garage down at the Air Force Academy, which has a lift. I'll be using that soon for my transmission fluid swap.
Great, thanks man. I wish I had access to the lift, that would make things so much simpler. I am going to try dremel the head off the bolt or else, just cut the DISA itself if dremel doesnt work and get a new DISA valve.

PS: I applied for army, but had to decline the MOS's they offered me on the enlistment day. Not being a citizen, I didnt get anything that requires security clearance despite having a degree and offered E4 with ASVAB score enough to get any job I wanted. I was looking for computer programming and database MOS's. Every job related to IT requires clearance, even connecting cables
I wish I could be in the US military with a job I am qualified for(education and experience wise).
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #4689
DenverSooner

Quote:
Great, thanks man. I wish I had access to the lift, that would make things so much simpler. I am going to try dremel the head off the bolt or else, just cut the DISA itself if dremel doesnt work and get a new DISA valve.

PS: I applied for army, but had to decline the MOS's they offered me on the enlistment day. Not being a citizen, I didnt get anything that requires security clearance despite having a degree and offered E4 with ASVAB score enough to get any job I wanted. I was looking for computer programming and database MOS's. Every job related to IT requires clearance, even connecting cables
I wish I could be in the US military with a job I am qualified for(education and experience wise).
What part of the DISA bolt is stripped? Is it the actual hex head, or the threads? If its the head, they sell tools to remove it. The hard part is the close working space. Good luck getting it out and try not to damage the DISA or Manifold!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #4690
trj

Quote:
What part of the DISA bolt is stripped? Is it the actual hex head, or the threads? If its the head, they sell tools to remove it. The hard part is the close working space. Good luck getting it out and try not to damage the DISA or Manifold!
The head is stripped. Yah the confined space is what has been a big problem. I have tried extractors and dremel too with cutting wheel. The extractor on a drill just doesnt have room to stay on the axis of the screw there.

I am going to get a grinding wheel for the dremel and grind the head out.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #4691
MajorDisarray

My Ride: 05 325ish
Quote:
We'll get that right after the pool.

I heard a rumor that when VM gets a new maint. bay they will turn the old one into a hobby shop.....but I think that will happen after the pool.
MajorDisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #4692
MajorDisarray

My Ride: 05 325ish
Quote:
Do you get the card at the shop? How many lifts do they have and what time do they open? Priority given to active duty?
I just realized who you are ......My wife works till 6 nearly every day she works on base. She just mentioned you have a track car and drove an S4....not that she knew what it was till I said it as an Audi. Going to have to hear more about the track car.
MajorDisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #4693
c00gi

My Ride: 330 COUPIE!
hey anyone have a decent shop not to pricey that can do my icv? or can anyone here do it for me? beer and money on hand.

DINAN COLD AIR INTAKE, THROTTLE BODY, FREE FLOW EXHAUST, STAGE 3 SOFTWARE, STRUT BAR, ZHP FRONT/REAR BUMPER, M3 MIRRORS, ZHP RIMS, BLACKED OUT TAILS AND TURN SIGNALS, 545 SSK, 35% TINTS, V2 ANGEL EYES, 8K HEADLIGHTS/FOGS ...... and an empty wallet
c00gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #4694
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I'm going to be in silverthorne for a few months starting dec 3rd. Love to meet up with all the CO fanatics. I'm bringing all my tools, more than happy to turn a few wrenches when I'm not riding. I work for whiskey!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #4695
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00gi View Post
hey anyone have a decent shop not to pricey that can do my icv? or can anyone here do it for me? beer and money on hand.
ICV should not be difficult to DIY, may be an hour of your time at max. But if you want to take it to a shop PEAK EUROSPORT is a good place to take the car to.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #4696
trj

Guys, do you guys have a small drill or dremel tool or know any shop who can remove the stripped DISA bolt?
I have been trying to shave off the bolt forever.
It looks like a dime now because I have been using grinding tool on it, and still I am not able to shave it to the shaft.
The drill and dremels I have are too big for the extractor to fit in there.

Anyone who can extract that screw or know the place who can do that for me?
Beer on me.

HELP...
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #4697
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Guys, do you guys have a small drill or dremel tool or know any shop who can remove the stripped DISA bolt?
I have been trying to shave off the bolt forever.
It looks like a dime now because I have been using grinding tool on it, and still I am not able to shave it to the shaft.
The drill and dremels I have are too big for the extractor to fit in there.

Anyone who can extract that screw or know the place who can do that for me?
Beer on me.

HELP...
If you can wait till the 1st, I'd be happy to do it for you. Free of charge
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #4698
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
If you can wait till the 1st, I'd be happy to do it for you. Free of charge
Thanks man. I will wait for you to come to Denver. I have been driving with that bolt stripped for more than 6 months so a couple of weeks more wont hurt. There is nothing wrong with the DISA, but without getting that bolt out I cant get to the ICV and throttle body to do OFHG and CCV.

I will keep on trying to shave that stupid bolt off, if I cant I will definitely seek your help.

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #4699
trj

I have a couple of DISA o-rings for 325s.
If anyone needs them contact me.
I ordered 10, will be using 2(will keep another one as extra), sent 2 to another forum member. So, I will be left with 6 extra o-rings.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #4700
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Thanks man. I will wait for you to come to Denver. I have been driving with that bolt stripped for more than 6 months so a couple of weeks more wont hurt. There is nothing wrong with the DISA, but without getting that bolt out I cant get to the ICV and throttle body to do OFHG and CCV.

I will keep on trying to shave that stupid bolt off, if I cant I will definitely seek your help.

Thanks again.
Drop me a txt 989 666 6four6nine Jay

Tags
bmw exberts, colorado, denver, fifi, gaga ooh-la-la, kitty puuuuury, mile hi, more than you can afford, rolf, saint louis!, spee, steven was huuuurrr, steven's a girl eepsspee, toolberts, trebdesumanu, tuuuuuuuuuuuurbo awd?, vtec power