E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #221
ChampionC

My Ride: 318Ci Convertible
Has anyone every moved the Climate Control Module without getting the BMW climate control relocation unit ?

It just seems to me that if i'm sure that I will never be undoing it, I can get my hacksaw out at the current unit and amend it to allow the climate control to slide in.

Any thoughts ?
ChampionC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #222
jararak

My Ride: e39 530d
hi webdj

I have very simmilar configuration (except car --> e39). Which interface do you use? Ihave ressler's one. Also which version of OS did you use. For connection to car, did you use wires from CD changer?
jararak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #223
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
Has anyone every moved the Climate Control Module without getting the BMW climate control relocation unit ?

It just seems to me that if i'm sure that I will never be undoing it, I can get my hacksaw out at the current unit and amend it to allow the climate control to slide in.

Any thoughts ?
It will slide in and there's very little movement to it.

Also can code your car
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #224
karis79

My Ride: E39 530D
I have not have time(the usual, new baby coming, new job, etc ) to finalize this bmw ibus thing yet but I will share it as is. I started cleaning code etc but have not actually tested the code after those few changes but i think it should work. Mapping the button presses to actual linux key codes is still unfinished but if anyone has time to do it, or if anyone wants to map those again, then change the key_code(s) in headunit_buttons array at here https://github.com/karis79/bmw-ibus/...mw-ibus.c#L804.

I have uploaded my bmw-ibus linux daemon to github( https://github.com/karis79/bmw-ibus ) and also added there a patch that adds needed scripts to openelec so that bmw-ibus gets compiled in to openelec raspberry pi image. just follow instruction from http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...r_Raspberry_Pi and after git clone step, patch https://github.com/downloads/karis79...nelec-rpi.diff and continue compilation.

If you want to try that with your laptop and see the key mappings etc then compile it:
git clone git://github.com/karis79/bmw-ibus.git
cd bmw-ibus
gcc -o bmw-ibus -Wall bmw-ibus.c

and start it:
./bmw-ibus -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -h AUX
this will hijack AUX(key events injected only when AUX selected)

edit:
I forgot to say that I have tested it in E39 2003 530D with 16:9 navi in english.

Last edited by karis79; 11-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.
karis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #225
ChampionC

Hi all,

I have started some preliminary work on my CarPC installation. I started looking at taking out the ashtray and glasses holder unit. I undid the two screws at the bottom but it would not pull out. It seemed to be caught at the top edge. OK, not what I expected so I decided to remove the radio to then see was it somehow connected to the underside of the Climate Control module, simple. Not quite, I could not figure out how to release the Climate Control module.

Any assistance gratefully received.

In addition, I have a PC which I plan to use - a Dell FX160 Thin Client. Height wise, it's perfect for the glove box but the glove box is not deep enough. Looking underneath, the panel behind the glove box seem like it's just covering up a load of space - apart from the location of the footwell light. So could I burst a hole out through the back of the glovebox to give me 2 extra inches of depth ?

Cormac
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #226
M-Spec Tuner

My Ride: 325i
I think your main fuse panel is behind the glove box. So I would want to keep that clear for access. If it was to angle down some how I'm unsure if there is clearance also. Maybe best to remove the glove box and take some measurements. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #227
BMW_Brecken

My Ride: E46 M3 coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to BMW_Brecken
Wow I feel like putting in a tablet for the head unit would have been 10000000000 times easier, but awesome electrical work!
BMW_Brecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #228
ChampionC

Just a quick update:-

I have now moved the Aircon control box down WITHOUT buying the relocation unit. I simply cut a notch of about 8mm out of the bottom side edges which allowed the aircon unit to side back in line with the console buttons. OK, so there's about a 2mm gap between the buttons and the aircon unit - about the same gap between the buttons and the Ashtray cover. All I finally had to do was make a small wedge to hold the aircon unit in place. The wedge is along the top edge and is hidden under the overhand of where the 2 Din opening will now be.

I have started making my own Bezel out of MDF. With the aircon unit now moved, it's time to start shaving the current cutout that I've done, down to size. It's currently about 2mm too wide. I over cut it since I did not fancy having to start again if I had under cut it !!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #229
ChampionC

Can anyone please tell me what the two wires (Brown & Yellow/Green - Brown & Blue/Red) behind the radio are feeding ? It seems an ideal place to tap off a 12v connection for my PC which I will locate in the glove box or in the passenger side footwell area.

Last edited by ChampionC; 02-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #230
J LAU

My Ride: 325i
you are crazy!
J LAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #231
ChampionC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J LAU View Post
you are crazy!
Which part ?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #232
iyad0

My Ride: e46
great work hope i can find the parts here in palestine
iyad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #233
iyad0

My Ride: e46
need centrafuse 4 cracked any help please?
iyad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #234
ChampionC

If you are not prepared to buy it, I can highly recommend Ride Runner - http://www.mp3car.com/road-runner/
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #235
Drako06

My Ride: 330i
DIY: BMW E46 In-Car PC Project (Carputer)

Dedicated electrician!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Drako06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #236
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
thread bump. My alpine headunit is not satisfactory anymore. It also does not like cold climate, when cold it does weird things by itself. I want to replace it with something more high-end, looking for something with the following characteristics:

- Has FM radio
- Has a detachable face that can be remotely placed without mods. I do not want to take things apart and solder
- Has ability to integrate with OEM steering wheel controls
- Has ability to output to amplifier

Does such thing exist?

Tags
carpc, carputer