E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
webster

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Your logic is extremely flawed. The whole point of the dual mass flywheel and cdv is for smoother shifts...

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
wrong. CDV is to prevent damage to the drivetrain from aggressive driving. here's a quote from the Zeckhausen website:

Quote:
The Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor installed by the factory between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder, as shown in Figure 1. It "delays" the engagement of the clutch, much like old record players use a damped tone-arm to gently lower the needle onto the surface of a record.

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite years of practice, cannot shift smoothly.
http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Last edited by webster; 11-15-2012 at 02:20 PM.
webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
I don't know who these people are who "cannot shift smoothly". We left the CDV in place on my girlfriend's 330Ci, and we both shift as smooth as glass, in spite of the fact that we've both been driving manual transmissions for over 40 years. A clunky shift on these cars is either pilot error, or there's something mechanically wrong, such as a worn throw-out bearing. Our 103,000 miles with the CDV in place show that the CDV doesn't cause rough shifting.

Edit: And the original clutch is still in the car, so it's not exactly worn out prematurely. By the way, I'm a (relatively) conservative driver, but she's not - she drives like a bat out of hell. I have to work at it to keep up in my 545.

Last edited by Wolrab; 11-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Wolrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
wrong. CDV is to prevent damage to the drivetrain from aggressive driving. here's a quote from the Zeckhausen website:

http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
And how am I wrong? It prevents sudden clutch releases, aka, smoother shifting... It's like all modern BMW Inovations that assume the driver of the car is a nitwit, sadly they're probably right about most drivers.

If you're going to call someone out, have a logical response first.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I don't know who these people are who "cannot shift smoothly". We left the CDV in place on my girlfriend's 330Ci, and we both shift as smooth as glass, in spite of the fact that we've both been driving manual transmissions for over 40 years. A clunky shift on these cars is either pilot error, or there's something mechanically wrong, such as a worn throw-out bearing. Our 103,000 miles with the CDV in place show that the CDV doesn't cause rough shifting.

Edit: And the original clutch is still in the car, so it's not exactly worn out prematurely. By the way, I'm a (relatively) conservative driver, but she's not - she drives like a bat out of hell. I have to work at it to keep up in my 545.
Shifting speed/techique is a big part of this. I shift too fast apparently. CDV valve was acting like it was a shift gate. Removed it and don't have that problem anymore. I drove it 10k+ miles before I finally removed it. Problem gone.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #25
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
And how am I wrong? It prevents sudden clutch releases, aka, smoother shifting... It's like all modern BMW Inovations that assume the driver of the car is a nitwit, sadly they're probably right about most drivers.

If you're going to call someone out, have a logical response first.

You are wrong because he was right. You are now shaving hairs.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #26
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
You are wrong because he was right. You are now shaving hairs.
Again, how am I wrong? CDV DELAYS THE CLUTCH. It's so that you don't drop the clutch and chirp your tires (SMOOTHER SHIFTING). I didn't say he was wrong about it preventing drivetrain wear, but it also allows smoother shifting for those who fail at driving a clutch, so please kindly eatadik
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirem3 View Post
Well the downside is that you can smoke your fly wheel/clutch in no time if you have a few bad shifts.

but the problem may be else where
Only if you're a dumb f****er. People have been driving without CDVs for a long time. God knows why BMW thought it was a good thing to intervene between a driver and their foot in the first place. Its a lot more flexible than a ferkin CDV. Makes no sense to me at all. I think they did it to mask a crappy diaphragm design.

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-17-2012 at 12:58 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey62 View Post
Hi
I am new to BMW's. I have read a few posts on here when I have been searching for information on clutch delay valves. I have a 2001 320i and cannot get a smooth gear change. I have been driving for 30 years so feel like a learner when the car jerks on gear changes. I have read that most people have removed the valve but just wondered if there were any negatives by doing this. Would it solve one problem and create another.
Any info would be most appreciated.
Just do it. If you can use a clutch then there's no problem. It will be similar to the vid below

Last edited by RayPooley; 11-17-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Congratulations! You've been enjoying smooth shifts for all those miles in your 330Ci coupe because you never had a CDV. Not installed on this model.

If you had the CDV you'd be jerking with the best of them.

See the list: http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Last edited by Stinger9; 11-17-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Congratulations! You've been enjoying smooth shifts for all those miles in your 330Ci coupe because you never had a CDV. Not installed on this model.

BRILLAINT!!! Can't wait to read the comeback.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
BRILLAINT!!! Can't wait to read the comeback.
It's just in a different in-line location on that model.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...94&hg=21&fg=10

Part # 15

Last edited by pleiades; 11-17-2012 at 07:08 PM.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #32
Stinger9

Almost true

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
It's just in a different in-line location on that model.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...94&hg=21&fg=10

Part # 15
Just have to know how to do your research. Use your same cherished realoem and plug in the part #15 number------21526755892

This will give you all the vehicles that the part applies to. And you'll see it was on the vert, but never the 330Ci coupe.

My witness: http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=21526755892

You're more than welcome to stop by again some time!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #33
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Quote:
Just have to know how to do your research. Use your same cherished realoem and plug in the part #15 number------21526755892

This will give you all the vehicles that the part applies to. And you'll see it was on the vert, but never the 330Ci coupe.

Well shut my mouth, I learned something, just not what I expected. Now I have to wonder, why not the coupe? Different clutch altogether?
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #34
Stinger9

Always appreciate the Gentleman!

I think the coupe is just designed with more spirited driving in mind and things are slanted in that direction. Comes standard with sport suspension, etc.
The rest of the breed is more of a compromise with lux smooth driving.

I'm betting the clutch and pressure plate are the same.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
jlboygenius

My Ride: a car
Even normal daily driving you'll notice the difference. I always fell like a jackass jerking the car around. Finally removed it and wow. Why did i wait so long.
Some say you can do more damage to the drive train with it removed, other say it causes trouble.

has anyone ever damaged anything drive train related after removing it ? I haven't heard of anything.

There were two things that disappointing me when i got my 330. The shifting was.. meh.. and the throttle response was slow. Removing the cdv fixed most of the shifting issues. Maybe a chip will fix the throttle response.
jlboygenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:

well it was actually on the 330ci...but listed for the european models. which i always found interesting that BMWNA didn't fit them.
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?p...=on&series=E46
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #37
Stinger9

At this point I think we've extended ourselves into the rarefied and arcane world of what minutiae options did BMW fiddle with in various markets around the world. I'm not up for joining the nerd club, so I'll politely disengage thank you.
My concern is only with the USA.